Keith Urban - tell me more

What's Hot

Comments

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited October 2020
    artiebear said:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graffiti_U
     How many people does it take to produce an album, or even write a song? 
    I get what you are saying but, pro rata to the financial return  the number rises. Any idea how much it costs to master a high return album ? That alone is a fortune.

Think of it more in terms of a medium budget movie and the huge cast of participants starts to make sense.

In terms of writing a song and the participants involved,  it's my living and though I bloody hate it, the bigger the act , the more individuals  it is, the less my return  

I apologise for my previous rudeness but to get where KB is, there is a standard to be maintained as well as the fact that country is a moveable feast
    If you know anything about Country Music, you will find the best songs are usually written by one or two people and produced by one, not a committee. 
    Personally I think The music that is called Country on Country radio often bears no resemblance to what anyone would think is Country Music. And it’s artists like Keith Urban who have truly lost their way by allowing his music to be so taken out of control to be nothing more than bad pop.
    so many great new artists in Country music that write their own music and are produced by people such as Adam Odor or Bruce Robison which is far superior to anything coming out of Nashville.
    I know a great deal about country music, as it happens. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5155
    This one flashed up on my YouTube feed...

https://youtu.be/lVbyWunzpzU
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14227
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the above suggestions - Brought 4 albums and thoroughly enjoying them - Nice to have a tune supported by a great solo, as/when required - He can rip it up when required 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Could've been an Eagle with his voice and guitar skills
  • Thanks for the above suggestions - Brought 4 albums and thoroughly enjoying them - Nice to have a tune supported by a great solo, as/when required - He can rip it up when required 
    He ticks a lot of boxes doesn't he ?. Glad you like it. I do go back to his classic stuff before mixing and mastering quite a lot.

• DominicDominic Frets: 16092
    I think the only thing I have with him on is this which isn’t really his record but I always thought it was great fun

https://youtu.be/9F_FN4ygjTo
    The other bloke with the Cowboy hat needs to practice but he could end up a passable player
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    artiebear said:
    artiebear said:
    I get what you are saying but, pro rata to the financial return  the number rises. Any idea how much it costs to master a high return album ? That alone is a fortune.

Think of it more in terms of a medium budget movie and the huge cast of participants starts to make sense.

In terms of writing a song and the participants involved,  it's my living and though I bloody hate it, the bigger the act , the more individuals  it is, the less my return  

I apologise for my previous rudeness but to get where KB is, there is a standard to be maintained as well as the fact that country is a moveable feast
    If you know anything about Country Music, you will find the best songs are usually written by one or two people and produced by one, not a committee. 
    Personally I think The music that is called Country on Country radio often bears no resemblance to what anyone would think is Country Music. And it’s artists like Keith Urban who have truly lost their way by allowing his music to be so taken out of control to be nothing more than bad pop.
    so many great new artists in Country music that write their own music and are produced by people such as Adam Odor or Bruce Robison which is far superior to anything coming out of Nashville.
    I'm huge on country and I get what both of you are saying but it's a changing world.......Brookes and Dunne probably started the 'Modern Country ' thing and it's got more poppy from there .......I wouldn't call Brad Paisley  country by any means but if things didn't move with time we would still be listening to Merle or even Alan Jackson and that was only 25 years ago.
     In America anything that doesn't fall into the R n B /Rap or Metal categories is called Country these days !
  • Looking forward to the Mudvayne country LP myself. 
  • Check out “devil went down to Nashville” by him on YouTube. Shows you what he can do on guitar. 
    I’ve been a fan since spending time in the US in 2003. 
  • Dominic said:
    artiebear said:
    artiebear said:

I'm huge on country and I get what both of you are saying but it's a changing world.......Brookes and Dunne probably started the 'Modern Country ' thing and it's got more poppy from there .......I wouldn't call Brad Paisley  country by any means but if things didn't move with time we would still be listening to Merle or even Alan Jackson and that was only 25 years ago.
     In America anything that doesn't fall into the R n B /Rap or Metal categories is called Country these days !
    Country music has to evolve and it has done continually, but when country music is no longer played and becomes a new genre, and pop,hip hop and soul takes its place it ain’t country. 
    Urban is a great singer, a great guitarist no ones denying that, just the material he is throwing out over last couple of years can no way be considered Country. He is demeaning his back catalogue trying to chase latest fad with multiple producers and song writers. Luckily that should stop now as there is a Covid instruction in Nashville limiting groups to 8, so a few cliches may be left out of his next pop record. 
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited November 2020
    Dominic said:
    artiebear said:
    artiebear said:

Country music has to evolve and it has done continually, but when country music is no longer played and becomes a new genre, and pop,hip hop and soul takes its place it ain’t country. 
    Urban is a great singer, a great guitarist no ones denying that, just the material he is throwing out over last couple of years can no way be considered Country. He is demeaning his back catalogue trying to chase latest fad with multiple producers and song writers. Luckily that should stop now as there is a Covid instruction in Nashville limiting groups to 8, so a few cliches may be left out of his next pop record. 
     I do agree with you to a greater degree.. To try to qualify our credentials to debate this stuff on a message board would demand a very different ability to identify ourselves , which is beyond the bounds of any reasonable retainment of anonymity. From my side, a decent portion of my living is from writing songs, which my Nashville publisher of 15 years, has managed to negotiate deals with producers/artists/management companies. and done very well for me.
     To do what I do, ( used to live in Nashville, now back in the UK) I do admit to having to get into a "country frame of mind" Country in itself is as subtle as what could be considered folk music (and it's children) anywhere in the UK. Anyhow, from the Carters, thru Bill Monroe, from Guthrie and Hank, thru everything that came after it' all country

Nice to get someone in the UK passionate about country in it's wider form

Great for me ,a massive country fan, to hear from people who have really 'done' the whole Nashville  songwriter thing and actually lived the dream .
  • Yep, but because it sounds like Country it ain’t, the other 3 are some of the biggest country records in history. 
    Go figure. 
  • Yep, but because it sounds like Country it ain’t, the other 3 are some of the biggest country records in history. 
    Go figure. 
    If it sounds like country, the label define it as country, and the audience buying it can perceive it as country , it probably is country regardless of the self appointed gate keepers of the "tradition", (who matter little in the whole process). WTF cares ? Is jazz not jazz because it happens to be John Coltrane playing "My Favourite Things" ? the interpretation dictates the format and on the cross over the artist can dictate the genre. It's music FFS.
  • Dominic said:
    Great for me ,a massive country fan, to hear from people who have really 'done' the whole Nashville  songwriter thing and actually lived the dream .
    More waking nightmare than dream, my favourite quote :

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- Hunter SThompson.

:)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14227
    tFB Trader
    As with all genres of music - You have the base or roots of country - Then you have all the grey areas, where country is mixed with swing, rock n roll, rock, pop etc etc

A banjo, an acoustic guitar, a stetson and a few yee haa's alone don't make it country

Elvis had country roots in a few songs - The Eagles had a strong country influence, especially the earlier years with Bernie Leadon - Even Ray Charles had a Country orientated album 

Personally I have no issue with such grey areas - And that applies to the grey areas of soul, jazz, rock etc etc - And often it is the grey areas I prefer - Steely Dan for one - No way are they jazz - But they have a cool jazz influence in many songs

I equate Keith Urban with the first time I played the Bryan Adams Reckless album - It wasn't pop, it wasn't rock but it was guitar based and it was good - IMO there is a likeness to both guys - Song first with some tasty guitar playing to support, not overtake, the song

• edit

I equate Keith Urban with the first time I played the Bryan Adams Reckless album - It wasn't pop, it wasn't rock but it was guitar based and it was good - IMO there is a likeness to both guys - Song first with some tasty guitar playing to support, not overtake, the song

Keith toured over here supporting Bryan Adams back in 2005.  He also stuck in a solo gig at the Scala club in Soho which Mrs G & I travelled down for.  Nice small venue, great gig.  Backline was a nice mix of Bad Cat and Marshall if I recall correctly.

• artiebear said:
    Yep, but because it sounds like Country it ain’t, the other 3 are some of the biggest country records in history. 
    Go figure. 
    If it sounds like country, the label define it as country, and the audience buying it can perceive it as country , it probably is country regardless of the self appointed gate keepers of the "tradition", (who matter little in the whole process). WTF cares ? Is jazz not jazz because it happens to be John Coltrane playing "My Favourite Things" ? the interpretation dictates the format and on the cross over the artist can dictate the genre. It's music FFS.
    Doesn’t have to sound like Country to be labelled Country, ever since the charts were rejigged to allow pop plays to be added to country the system is being abused. 
    Beba Rexa said  she was honoured to have broken pretty much every female country artist record. She says she is not country, but she played on a song with FGL and the record was #1 on country charts for 50 weeks. 
    It’s all about knowing how to rig the algorithm not having best or even country song.