Gold foil pickups. What that all about?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
I kind of like the look of them, and I saw these in a Tele an they looked pretty cool.

What's the thing with Gold foil pickups? What's the inherent sound?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9167
    Lots of different varieties. I've got lollars in my Asher GT3 and that's a fabulous guitar. They're pretty trebly (which I like) and take pedals brilliantly as they retain their clarity. The Asher has a switch with different positions to alter the sound and it's a wonderfully versatile guitar 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    The old-fashioned pickups came back into fashion. Their looks are being aped regardless of whether the innards of the modern pickups replicate the vintage designs.
    Be seeing you.
  • MojopickupsMojopickups Frets: 308
    tFB Trader
    Trust me, they aren't "real" Gold Foils.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    Yeah @Mojopickups is exactly right there are a load of Fake gold foils that are just well a pickup as normal and some gold foil stuck in the case. 

Golfoils from the classic era were a very specific magnet style and wire type. Without it you sort of miss the point sonically. Get in the Mojo que I did after borrowing one from a friend they are as good as it gets.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    They were originally used in fairly low end/student guitars, but with a wide range of designs and means of manufacture.  So the originals came in all shapes, sizes and tones.

As modern winders have tried to make designs more consistent, what you'll usually get now is something more open and metallic sounding, a bit bluesier than a Strat single coil, but less hot than a humbucker. I've got a Curtis Novak gold foil, originally made for a bridge, in the neck position of my Jazzmaster and I'd describe it as bright and articulate.  I love it!

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Open and airy I'd say. I have two @Mojopickups ones in my newly arrived Fidelity Stellarosa Lite and they sound superb!

• I have some of @Mojopickups Humbucker sized goldfoils in a semi-hollow and it sounds glorious. 

I don't really know how to describe the sound, they're very different to "normal" pickups but I love the sound. Somehow bright and chimey yet full and rich. I think the word I'd use is "clear". Very versatile---I like them both clean and dirty. 

Can't say that helped very much, but definitely try and seek out some videos / demos of some. 

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    I have @Mojopickups humbucker sized gold foils in a thinline Warmoth Tele. They're the most inspiring pickup purchase I've ever made.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    They look very nice.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31370
    Dodge said:
    I have @Mojopickups humbucker sized gold foils in a thinline Warmoth Tele. They're the most inspiring pickup purchase I've ever made.
    Me too, the one in my Les Paul has been there for seven years and although I'm a compulsive pickup swapper it's the only pickup in any of my guitars which never comes up for review. 

No other pickup is as responsive to player input in my experience.