Is there such a thing as a quiet acoustic ?

What's Hot
I’ve been feeling the urge to play acoustic again.
i miss my seagull 12 string and takamine 6 string .
as great as they sound, as the majority of my playing is practicing at home , I could do with something that is a bit quieter but still sounds good. 
Is there such a thing ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    edited October 2020
    I use a Taylor GS mini for this application, travels well too!

Some mahogany martins are pretty mellow too, the 00015 is nice
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Yamaha used to do a ‘silent’ acoustic with onboard headphone amp. Aria also did one called the Sinsonido.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    Martin JR. 
  • Taylor GS mini strung with 10's. Quieter and easier to play.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    Keefy said:
    Yamaha used to do a ‘silent’ acoustic with onboard headphone amp. Aria also did one called the Sinsonido.
    I bought a Yamaha SLG largely for this reason.  Also makes a handy travel guitar.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    Surprised at the recommendations for the GS Mini, I wouldn’t say mine is quiet. Yes it’s comfortable to play, travels very well, and sounds good played gently... but it packs a punch when I strum it. It’s noticeable how I can feel the back vibrating against my body, I have bigger and more expensive guitars that don’t behave like that.

Have you thought of about a nylon string guitar? I’d imagine a parlour would be a good option as well.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    How quiet are you aiming for? A soundhole feedback-buster plug will reduce how much sound gets out of the soundhole so will quieten the guitar a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    If you can, try a Vintage V300 MHG. Lovely mellow 'Martin-ish' tone & very affordable
  • Strings can make a difference. Thomastik Plectrums for instance are quite a quiet string. Those on a small bodied Martin (00) were much quieter than regular PB strings. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    +1 for a soundhole plug, that'll take a lot of the resonance out of the sound.
  • I'd certainly prefer a muting device such as a soundhole plug over a 'quiet' guitar. That way you retain the choice to crank it up if you want to.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    I've always found the Yamaha APXs have a pretty weedy acoustic tone. They have the advantage that you can plug them in too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GTCGTC Frets: 263
    I was just about to mention muting devices when I see that others have beaten me to it. With them you will compromise volume and tone without compromising the guitar - and they are cheap.

Soundhole plugs seem the best option although I've never tried one - with the added benefit of reducing feedback risk on electro-acoustics. I don't like the idea of the string-damper type although I've never used them either.

Another possibility when you want a quieter unplugged acoustic sound could be to try a thin-bodied electro acoustic
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    As an anecdotal observation, I've found koa to be quieter than other tonewoods. Certainly seems to reach a volume ceiling at a lower point than rosewood in my experience.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    Keefy said:
    Yamaha still do, I bought the classical version recently
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    Epsilon said:
    As an anecdotal observation, I've found koa to be quieter than other tonewoods. Certainly seems to reach a volume ceiling at a lower point than rosewood in my experience.
    Not the one I've got, quite loud really