Oil City Pickups . . . Excellent

What's Hot
maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
I'm probably very late to this particular party but . . . WOW . . . ! ! !   100% Quality Kit & Made by one our very own . . .  
Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• davrosdavros Frets: 1327
    Yep, they're great. Had 3 sets so far and they're all outstanding. Great customer service and pretty quick too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
    edited October 2020
    This is begging for a “what did you get”. 

So, what did you get?

I’ve had a transonic, eruption and some blues singles. All fantastic. Oh, and some blackbirds. Also very good. 

Blackbird bridge with Bareknuckle mule neck is fantastic . 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Got their StoneTones in my Strat and Liquidators in my Tele. Fantastic pickups that just work for the guitars. Ash is nice guy to deal with too.

Now if only BKP didn't make such good humbuckers I'd be trying out more of their range!
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Very happy user here. Also, like others have mentioned I use them and Bare Knuckle. In fact, between all my guitars every pickup is either BKP or Oil City.

Got a pair of Mighty Nineties in a PRS SE Bernie Marsden (Les Paul type), a Diamond Geezer in my Strat bridge alongside Bare Knuckle Apaches in the neck and middle and then my other guitar is a Strat with a couple of Bare Knuckle Mules (just mentioning for the sake of completion).

Can't think of any other type of pickup I'd ever need, got everything covered with that selection!
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
    I have an Oil City Firewatch P90 in the Bridge position of my Gibson SG Classic and its as sweet as a nut . . Beautiful & clean tone when played at sensible volumes, midway, its beginning to chime & growl but you can hear every note and at full volume it screams with the best of them . . . I really like it and I can honestly say its renewed my GAS for an SG Junior . . . Ive paired it with a Tonerider Vintage P90 which initially I though was a little bit too Jazz . . now ive played the guitar more & tweaked the pickup heights I'm super chuffed with it and the pair together sound brilliant but at some point in the future I'm pretty sure I'll be having another Oil City P90 . . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Got StoneTones in my Strat and have to say that they’re superb.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4160
    edited October 2020
    I have a Djenerator in my Soloist and I absolutely love it, it sounds fantastic: really thick and warm, but with loads of clarity.

I want to replace the pickups in my RG and I’m not sure whether to go for more Djenerators or a pair of Transonics.

And yes, Ash is a star - he couldn’t have been more helpful. I get the feeling that if I’d gone in to talk to him about pickups rather than phoned I’d have been there for several hours
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Been doing some pickup swaps this week 
    Ash had sent me a Stonetone and a Custom pickup we have been working on for some time (TomCat). These went into my Floyd Rose equipped Feline Lion 25th Anniversary.
    The Autumn-burst 20th Anniversary Lion got a pair of 3rd Power FragMags PraxXIS pickups (I'll save that for a different thread).
    The TomCat variant and the Stonetone work very well in an 80s Hair metal knd of way - good cleans and a Bluesyneck sound and a very solid slightly OTT PAF sound.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Been doing some pickup swaps this week 
    Ash had sent me a Stonetone and a Custom pickup we have been working on for some time (TomCat). These went into my Floyd Rose equipped Feline Lion 25th Anniversary.
    The Autumn-burst 20th Anniversary Lion got a pair of 3rd Power FragMags PraxXIS pickups (I'll save that for a different thread).
    The TomCat variant and the Stonetone work very well in an 80s Hair metal knd of way - good cleans and a Bluesyneck sound and a very solid slightly OTT PAF sound.

Gorgeous!

I've got an Oil City Custom Tele bridge pickup that I bought off Ash in one of his sales, it's sitting on my shelf and I've not yet tried it.

Might have a little switch out of the Mojo Dynasonic in my Tele neck and will give it a run out at the same time. Looks great in the box though!  ;)
  • Just put some Oil City Honkeytonk Angels (bought via this very forum) into my MIM Tele and they do sound most excellent.
    Really snarly mids and sweet, non icepick treble. With a bit of drive into the Friedman it's instant Led Zep I sounds.

Waiting on some Lindy Fralins for the Les Paul...

• Got their StoneTones in my Strat and Liquidators in my Tele. Fantastic pickups that just work for the guitars. Ash is nice guy to deal with too.

Now if only BKP didn't make such good humbuckers I'd be trying out more of their range!
    What are the liquidators like in the tele? They intrigue me. 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    Love 'em! I just did a quick head count and I have one or more Oil City pickups in eight of my guitars. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    I have a Humbucker set in my guitar. Absolutely lovely. However, I am experimenting at the moment and trying other alternative pickups, Not sure if any of the potential replacements are going to be better to my ears but they could be up for grabs in the near future if anyone is interested ? I can’t afford to keep them sitting around if I decide to go with the other ones. 

Sorry didn’t mean to turn this into a sales thread but just thinking out loud. Gets me into loads of trouble that does :( 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Now you lot are making me excited. My Strat set arrived today (Diamond Geezer neck, StoneTone middle, Diamond Geezer with baseplate bridge—going for the hottest true single coil Strat I could) after a bit of a wait because he was out of baseplates.

I'm already wavering though. I've got a custom Eruption in the bridge which is very good and a bit different from any other humbucker I own. With EVH's passing I'm really keen to play with that kind of tone. I haven't got another guitar to put it in, because I'm happy with all my other guitars' pickups. Wish I could have two bridge pickups in the same guitar.

Hmm.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

What are the liquidators like in the tele? They intrigue me. 
    They kick out a lot of output, but still have some Tele twang albeit more of a modern one. Neck pickup is smooth and rounded almost strat like, great for blues soloing etc. Bridge has some bite and can easily compete with a humbucker, sometimes if I fancy switching it up for a rock tune I'll put it out and it can do a job.
  • Have you used BKP's ? If so, do you notice much difference ?
  • Have you used BKP's ? If so, do you notice much difference ?
    Don't know if this was directed at me but I'll answer it anyway.

I've only use BKP humbuckers, had a set of their Boss Tele pickups but I didn't like them. Not used a set of Strat pickups by them before.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    I'm a fan. I've got Ash's pickups in 2 guitars.. Stonetone set in a Strat and a Nightfighter A2 in my bista Floyd Strat. I've also got a Transonic which may go in the latter soon. 

I've got and had BK stuff and they're of the same ilk imo quality wise. I think Ash's more personal touch (whether you buy something or not) suits me better. All imo of course.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"