Gumtree posting and Paypal

What's Hot
munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
edited October 2020 in Off Topic
I know there have been loads of threads about this, but is there a safe way of doing a gumtree courier transaction if I’m the seller. 

I have sold a pedal by PPG and posted it before but this is a guitar which can’t be collection as chap is other side of the country. 

I gather PPG protects him but not me, bank transfer seems to remove claw back option but then I’m just emailing my bank details to someone I don’t know.  

Has anyone it, if so is it better if I arrange the courier or him or is it just a no no. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    If you are just emailing Sort Code/Account Num, there is verrrrrrrry little they can do with it.

Worked in a bank for numerous years, and it was something that I had to tell people every day.  Sort Code and Account number is useless without photo ID or a chip/pin

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    joeyowen said:
    If you are just emailing Sort Code/Account Num, there is verrrrrrrry little they can do with it.

Worked in a bank for numerous years, and it was something that I had to tell people every day.  Sort Code and Account number is useless without photo ID or a chip/pin

Thanks Joey, I always figured they  could set up dd payments. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    munckee said:
    joeyowen said:

Thanks Joey, I always figured they  could set up dd payments. 

Bank transfer is mostly OK, but still risky. Clarkson used to (very loudly) say the same, until someone used his info to sign him up for Direct Debit. See here: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2008/jan/07/personalfinancenews.scamsandfraud

Gumtree can show you some trading info these days, although the rating is blank for some buyers. I have bought and sold a few postable items on Gumtree, but it depends on developing some sort of trust with the other party.
    The chap said he would be more comfortable with paypal and will pay 5% to cover the paypal fee, I don't even know if that's the fee - assuming this is a no-no and just say bank transfer or no thanks?

Is PPG as risky as ordinary Paypal?
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Where's the guitar and where are you? Might be worth asking on here if anyone could collect and drop off for you if they are travelling in that general direction...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Hattigol said:
    Where's the guitar and where are you? Might be worth asking on here if anyone could collect and drop off for you if they are travelling in that general direction...
    I’m selling it, based on the south coast and the potential buyer is in central London
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Bear in mind that Gumtree are quite explicit that all deals should be collection only, so you'll get no help from them if it goes wonky. 

It probably won't, but ...
    Snags said:
    Bear in mind that Gumtree are quite explicit that all deals should be collection only, so you'll get no help from them if it goes wonky. 

Yep I agree. I’ve messaged the chap and said bank transfer or I’d rather not sell. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    edited October 2020
    Snags said:

You won't get any help from them in any regard!

I'd say he pays you either via PayPal gift or bank transfer and you send it to him via courier. No one can fuck you over. PayPal gift protects the seller, not the buyer. 

If you're happy with the seller and he seems fine, then let him use Goods & Services. The fee is 3.5%. The only issue is if he has issues then he has a reprieve, but I would add you should be sorting out any honest issues in any case. 
  • munckee said:
    The chap said he would be more comfortable with paypal and will pay 5% to cover the paypal fee, I don't even know if that's the fee - assuming this is a no-no and just say bank transfer or no thanks?

I am slightly confused - is there a risk as a seller when being paid via PayPal (assuming there is no misrepresentation of goods) ?
    munckee said:

I am slightly confused - is there a risk as a seller when being paid via PayPal (assuming there is no misrepresentation of goods) ?
    As I understand it it’s a known scam for people to pay via PayPal and arrange their own courier, then when it arrives claim it is not as advertised and PayPal are generally on the buyers side. 

PayPal give them the money back take it from you and then the buyer has the money and the stuff. If you call the police they say it’s a civil matter. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah thanks - that now makes sense regarding a strange email I got once when selling on Gumtree.

And from the email chain above, I get the impression that PayPal Gift doesn’t afford that facility for scam buyers ?
    munckee said:
    munckee said:

As I understand it it’s a known scam for people to pay via PayPal and arrange their own courier, then when it arrives claim it is not as advertised and PayPal are generally on the buyers side. 

PayPal give them the money back take it from you and then the buyer has the money and the stuff. If you call the police they say it’s a civil matter. 
    Not if it's via gift payment. This doesn't apply. The only person who could get scammed is the buyer. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Isn't there a thing with PPG where if the payment is via a credit card rather than PP balance or bank, the buyer can go through their CC issuer to pull a similar stunt?

Of course, it's worth remembering that we only ever hear the horror stories, which will be the minority of transactions, so it all comes down to how confident one is in the prospective buyer. 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    edited October 2020

Not if it's via gift payment. This doesn't apply. The only person who could get scammed is the buyer. 

Not true, the buyer can insitgate a chargeback with their bank / credit card provider if they used a card to pay.
    Dodge said:

Not true, the buyer can insitgate a chargeback with their bank / credit card provider if they used a card to pay.
    Fair enough. I mean, if it were a high value item and someone were to do that, and you had their address surely you'd be going to the police for fraud right?