Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tom Murphy goldtop (Shotgun edition)

What's Hot

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    A lot of that “effect” is by using a dremel and a rubber wheel or grinding wheel. Compare the “pattern” the dremel makes to that of Relic Art Guitars (Easily found on Instagram) style and you’ll see how closely matched they are. 
    Bloody hell it's shit lol
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    A lot of that “effect” is by using a dremel and a rubber wheel or grinding wheel. Compare the “pattern” the dremel makes to that of Relic Art Guitars (Easily found on Instagram) style and you’ll see how closely matched they are. 
    First thing I thought was it looked more like relic art guitars than Tom  Murphy 

Terrible either way
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    First thing I thought was it looked more like relic art guitars than Tom  Murphy 

Terrible either way
    I think Rittenhouse Guitars (?) use/d the same method on their stuff. The funny thing is people seem to love it. To me it looks like someone has thrown tapioca over the wood then sprayed over it. Very odd way of “ageing”. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    That's a job for Rentokill
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tsj93tsj93 Frets: 49
    The best bit of the ad is where it says ‘mint’
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Dear god.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31369
    I don't actually get what all those little holes are meant to represent, is it seriously supposed to be woodworm?
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    edited October 2020
    Did it really leave the factory like that? Shocking...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • I’m not a fan of any kind of heavy relic work but. I get that there is a market for it. I’m not sure I get the ridicule here. Tom Murphy has made a name for himself and a guitar like this will be desirable to certain collector types.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Just incase anyone is confused as to what we’re talking about..

https://i.imgur.com/7UPLulS.jpg
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14036
    edited October 2020 tFB Trader
    That is s*ite - I'm a relic fan - I own a Tom Murphy 57 Gold Top that looks awesome - But that is like it has been finished by an apprentice on his first day at work, with the report from the boss 'must try harder' 
  • How would a guitar get naturally worn in that kind of pattern?

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14036
    tFB Trader
    How would a guitar get naturally worn in that kind of pattern?
    Have you never used your guitar for posting memo notes with a drawing pin ? 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think they're going for a look... Which can be cool...

But that pattern is actually making my hair stand on end - it makes me feel weird. Does anyone else get that? It happened when I zoomed it to see what it looked like. 
    This guitar didn’t do it but I sometimes get that with things like poppy seed heads, and I definitely get it with patterns of holes in skin. It’s called Trypophobia I think
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• How would a guitar get naturally worn in that kind of pattern?
    Have you never used your guitar for posting memo notes with a drawing pin ? 
    Not lately no. :)

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Shit. 

But that pattern is actually making my hair stand on end - it makes me feel weird. Does anyone else get that? It happened when I zoomed it to see what it looked like. 
    This guitar didn’t do it but I sometimes get that with things like poppy seed heads, and I definitely get it with patterns of holes in skin. It’s called Trypophobia I think
    Oh god I just googled that and I don't think I'll ever sleep again 
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 711
    Ok, we all think it crap, but either it’s fake, or there’s some reason behind that Relic, ah, style. Is it meant to be some strange paint reaction? All his stuff normally looks pretty good as far as ageing goes. Shit, he’s got a name for it for a reason and half the new start ups doing relics wouldn’t have a business doing it if it wasn’t for people like him and fender. I can’t see this just slipped through, there’s got to be more to it. 

Oh god I just googled that and I don't think I'll ever sleep again 
    Damn you... I couldn't resist it and now I need to pour bleach in my eyes... and my brain :anguished: 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• That's absolutely terrible, I've never seen something so crazy.. I mean come on, £11k for a new guitar.. did someone mention there was a problem with the finish as well?

As if I didn't need anything else to convince me that the world is populated by morons..