Recommendations on string gauges for a 12 string

What's Hot
I just bought a new 12 string, not had one since the last century

I'm getting on a bit, so have a bit of arthritis in some finger and thumb joints

On my 6 string acoustics I use 11s, with an action ideally between 1.75 and 2mm on the treble side, 2.25-2.5mm on the bass side

I'm wondering what gauge to use. I've not had it set up yet, so the fret slots are probably high, the saddle is, but I am getting a few aches

I've ordered a set of 

D'Addario EZ940 Great American Bronze Light (.010.-050)  only £7 !

and

Ernie Ball Earthwood 12-String Light 80/20 Bronze Acoustic Set, .009 - .046

I also read last night that many drop the tuning down one or two semitones

This guitar is for seeing if I like to play 12 string occasionally, the sound does not have to be optimum, it's the playability that's the priority here

Your advice is welcome

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm normally a down tuner. My acoustic 12 string is tuned down 2 semitones and there's a capo on the second fret. But, weirdly, I'm trying a set of 10-47s standard tuning and no capo at the moment. Seems OK and sounds good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3684
    edited October 2020
    How about Newtone? One of their selling points is a lower tension. Don’t have a 12 string but I like them on my 6 strings. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    drofluf said:
    How about Newtone? One of their selling points is a lower tension. Don’t have a 12 string but I like them on my 6 strings. 

good idea
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• D'Addario EZ940 Great American Bronze Light (.010.-050)  only £7 !

and

Ernie Ball Earthwood 12-String Light 80/20 Bronze Acoustic Set, .009 - .046

The EZ940 is actually quite heavy for a 12 string set, most 12 string sets are 10-47 and even then that still can be quite hard on the fingers. The EB set should be fine though.

I'd recommend the Newtone Heritage 12 string set.
  • moremore Frets: 230
      You can use lighter  strings than you might use on a six string . Martin SP   .010 . 047 work well .
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    I use a Newtone double-11 set tuned down to D - it's much easier on the fingers, and most 12-strings just sound far better like that. In the old days before light strings were available they were never intended to be tuned up to E at all. Before I discovered Newtone I used D'Addario EJ38 double-10s tuned to D - they felt about the same, but didn't quite sound as good.

The Ernie Ball 9s will be OK if you do need to tune up to E, but they're probably going to be a bit bright and zingy-sounding, both because of the gauge and the 80/20 bronze.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein