In the market for a CS Strat and need some help from those knowledgable please.

What's Hot
HullboyHullboy Frets: 74
edited October 2020 in Guitar
Basically, I'm in the market for a CS Strat and want to know if anyone can summarize a few things for me-

Are certain era's better than others? Is it fair to say newer CS Strats are better than older ones for example?

I realise there are lots of different models, NOS, Journeyman relic, relic. So in terms of CS models, what model is classed as being the lowest, most basic CS vs what would be classed as the highest quality to come out of the CS aside from Masterbuilt?

Disregarding specs for a minute, I probably have at max about 2.5k ish to spend and I want to make sure I'm getting the best CS for my money, so I'm wondering what years and models i should look be looking at? Even better if anyone can point me to any CS Strats on the market right now that they would consider a shit hot deal.

Thanks,
Chris. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    Chris,

Play them, play them play them !

Go to your dealer and figure out what YOU like... neck profile, weight, relic etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HullboyHullboy Frets: 74
    Chris,

Go to your dealer and figure out what YOU like... neck profile, weight, relic etc
    Wise advice, however I live in Hull so I'm a little away from any main music stores and I'm wanting to buy used also.

Right off the bat, I know that i want at least a 9.5" radius, (had a classic player 60's with a 12" and didn't like it so much) so I think 9.5" is the sweet spot or perhaps a 9.5" to 12" compound. I'd also prefer a satin finish neck; not a fan of the sticky lacquer. I'm quite flexible with neck profiles but likely not something huge. 
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Hullboy said:
    Chris,

Wise advice, however I live in Hull so I'm a little away from any main music stores and I'm wanting to buy used also.

Right off the bat, I know that i want at least a 9.5" radius, (had a classic player 60's with a 12" and didn't like it so much) so I think 9.5" is the sweet spot or perhaps a 9.5" to 12" compound. I'd also prefer a satin finish neck; not a fan of the sticky lacquer. I'm quite flexible with neck profiles but likely not something huge. 
    You'll want a more recent model in which case - earlier CS guitars tend to have the vintage-correct 7.25" radius combined with small vintage frets.

Stay away from NOS if you don't want a sticky neck - there are a small number out there that were specified with a satin finish on the back of the neck, but they're rare. I've moved on every NOS guitar I've ever had due to the feel of the neck.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9290
    In general, I reckon the sweet spot from a year point of view was about 2010-2018. The build quality went up and up in my experience, but on newer models, they’ve started to get heavier.
    The more reliced, the more you’ll pay.

Best thing is to play. Second best thing is to get a list of specs you want.

Ash or alder.
    Maple or rosewood.
    neck shape (from a personal point of view, a 63 or 65 shape or a 10/56v is heaven)
    Colour
    Wear.

Electronics can be swapped out, but I love the 60/63 pickups if you’re looking vintage style or the ancho pobalnos if you’d like slightly hotter.
  • Hullboy said:
    Right off the bat, I know that i want at least a 9.5" radius,   I'd also prefer a satin finish neck; not a fan of the sticky lacquer. I'm quite flexible with neck profiles but likely not something huge. 
    There's a nice looking blue '63 CS Strat in the classifieds that looks to fit the bill and is within your budget.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14213
    tFB Trader
    Hullboy said:
    Basically, I'm in the market for a CS Strat and want to know if anyone can summarize a few things for me-

Are certain era's better than others? Is it fair to say newer CS Strats are better than older ones for example?

I realise there are lots of different models, NOS, Journeyman relic, relic. So in terms of CS models, what model is classed as being the lowest, most basic CS vs what would be classed as the highest quality to come out of the CS aside from Masterbuilt?

Disregarding specs for a minute, I probably have at max about 2.5k ish to spend and I want to make sure I'm getting the best CS for my money, so I'm wondering what years and models i should look be looking at? Even better if anyone can point me to any CS Strats on the market right now that they would consider a shit hot deal.

Thanks,
    Chris. 
    Hi Chris - I'm not sure I can answer this without typing out a long essay - If You have 5 mins one day give me a call and I'll have a chat about it - Easy to say try a few and see what floats your boat, but as you say, within a sensible drive from Hull and in the market for used, then not a shed load to choose from 

Take a golden era vintage model, be it 56, 57, 60, 61, 64 etc etc etc, then no one age is better - In many ways with the ala carte menu option that CS offer, than easy to have a mix match of components to create a CS dream so for instance a 62 neck with 57 p/ups - Not vintage correct but as the name Custom Shop implies it allows you to pick 'n' choose as required 

NOS is not better/worse than say journeyman relic or relic - Main difference is the level of aging - The spec of the guitar can be identical - Although many models  with more of an aged finish will have a played in neck, so not the new shiny character 

far more now have a 9.5" or similar radius with some form of medium jumbo frets - See few CS now with 7.25 and vintage frets 

You should be able to find a nice example for 2.5K either from a  dealer or private sales
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom