10 interesting guitar players right now

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
This appeared in Guitar World mag. Nick Johnson flagged it up on Facebook, pleased that he was mentioned. They have framed it in that rather unhelpful 'Top 10' way, but it looks like a potentially interesting list of guitarists. I was just wondering if anyone here has an opinion on any of them?

I know Mateus Asato, the Polyphia guys, Nick Johnson and Yvette Young and I personally would concur that I find them all to be interesting guitar players, although I'm certain that there are plenty here who aren't into any of them!

Here's a link with the same info and video clips (different guitar mag, I guess the same publishing company)

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/the-100-greatest-guitarists-of-all-time/7

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    It was a poll, wasn't it? So people's favourites - Nita Strauss is good and is all over YouTube these days hence her being number one. Some people I've not heard of so I will check them out.

Yvette Young's playing is interesting .. I liked the song in her video.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Fuckin ‘ell!, missed out again :#
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My son is massively into Polyfia and is learning some of their songs (such as Goat). I can appriciate the technical mastery and see even Mr Vai is starting to pick up the style.
    But it's guitar playing for guitar players of the YT generation. 
    I can't imagine any of their songs I would stick on in the car and play loud and enjoy the ride, unlike say Satch with Surfing with the Alien.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22769

I've heard of most of these people, I might recognise all of them if I googled them (haven't watched the clip yet).

But it feels like YouTube is full of hundreds of players as good as these.  And even these ten (or eleven) "big names" wouldn't mean anything to anybody outside the guitar fraternity.

I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make, except perhaps that a list like this seems rather insignificant and irrelevant nowadays. 

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3045
    Nita Strauss. Decent player but I think she's overhyped. The other guitarist of the band she was in (iron maidens) is Courtney Cox. Much more interesting player and killer vibrato.

Rick Graham is another really interesting player but he doesn't really put out new music very often
  • My current Favourite YT player is Tim Pearce such a tasteful player and is obviously having so much fun.
  • I've not heard of any of them therefore I'm boring
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I roughly know who a few of them are. I’m not sure I understand quite why they are a collection. Their age range is from probably 20s to 40s so this isn’t some kind of next generation thing, some do a lot of social media stuff, some don’t, different stylistic approaches. 
    Interesting I guess.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
    Stevepage said:
    Nita Strauss. Decent player but I think she's overhyped. The other guitarist of the band she was in (iron maidens) is Courtney Cox. Much more interesting player and killer vibrato.

Rick Graham is another really interesting player but he doesn't really put out new music very often
    I hadn't heard of her so I watched a clip, and to be honest I thought it was a tad generic and probably hyped up due to her being an attractive woman who plays guitar well. Maybe I'm being unfair, I only saw one song! I think that Yvette Young is much more interesting in her approach to playing guitar.

To be honest these people are very good in the same way that a jazz musician may be - eg well known in their particular circle but forever unknown to the general public. Nothing wrong with that, it's all about making the music that you want to and finding an audience for it. 

I saw Polyphia live last year and enjoyed the show. Not everyones thing but they are talented and interesting.