Guitar trade dilemma

What's Hot
MalCoxMalCox Frets: 9
I have a guitar for sale but nobody is biting on a cash sale, I have been offered a few trades and a couple of them appeal to me but I'm torn. Both straight trades with no cash either way. One is a 2018 American Elite Tele, the other a Custom Deluxe Strat from 2010. I could imagine being happy with either, love Teles, already have a Strat but like the idea of a Custom Shop model. I'm leaning towards the Tele but my concern is re-sale value if, whichever I end up with, I didn't take to it and decided to move it on. I guess taking the CS Strat would be a better bit of business?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Anyone else curious to know what the guitar on offer is? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Do you actually want either of the potential trades.  Would you really prefer a cash sale.  
    If the answer to these is no and yes, I’d follow that route and make whatever it is you’re selling more appealing.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MalCoxMalCox Frets: 9
    edited October 2020
    If I was completely sensible and logical, I'd hang on for cash. Getting a new guitar is tempting though..... Selling a PRS Custom 22 
    tFB Trader
    MalCox said:
    If I was completely sensible and logical, I'd hang on for cash. Getting a new guitar is tempting though..... Selling a PRS Custom 22 
    Without being rude or presumptuous it may not be selling due to your price? Trades seem to be the way things are going just now unless you want to take less cash than you had hoped for. I shouldn’t say this given what I do for a living but I’d be hesitant to swap the PRS for a fender elite. The CS? Maybe. If you’re going to trade make sure you find out as much as you can about the guitar in question first. I don’t do trades simply because I don’t like the fact that you don’t know if there are any issues until it is too late. 
    MalCox said:
    Without being rude or presumptuous it may not be selling due to your price? Trades seem to be the way things are going just now unless you want to take less cash than you had hoped for. I shouldn’t say this given what I do for a living but I’d be hesitant to swap the PRS for a fender elite. The CS? Maybe. If you’re going to trade make sure you find out as much as you can about the guitar in question first. I don’t do trades simply because I don’t like the fact that you don’t know if there are any issues until it is too late. 
    I'm pretty confident the two guitars I'm looking at are up to scratch, I know the elite is not comparable in terms of re-sale value, but If it turns out to be the right guitar and a keeper, that becomes irrelevant.  
    tFB Trader
    I’d hold our for cash. At least then you can buy what you want. But I’m stubborn that way :)
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    I just took a huge hit on a guitar sale after it not selling at all for ages. Amp sold the moment I put it on ebay and pedals still selling well. I wouldn't swap a guitar i was selling for a another guitar to sell. Presumably person B can't offload it already... 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    I don't know the details but from what you have said, my guess is that the Custom Shop guitar will be worth around £4-500 more than the Elite.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    edited October 2020
    Both those Fenders deviate from the respective ‘classic’ specs for the models. That unfortunately probably reduces your potential buyers if you are looking at resale opportunities.

The CS is not the most desirable spec for a Strat - do you want it to keep or would you try and sell?
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I’d go simply by whether it’s an equitable trade and whether the next in line might sell better. I’ve done this numerous times and done alright out of it. Sometimes necessary if your item is watching tumbleweed go past. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Have you considered putting your prs on here for trade or sale? 
    Have you considered putting your prs on here for trade or sale? 
    To be honest I'm not on here very often and it was only late yesterday I remembered about this site. Fired off my post then asked myself the very same question!