Nickel and cancer?

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
This is the first time I heard of this warning on products. Anyone know about this too:-

Or is this the usual USA paranoia ?
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I was in America last year and everything has that label. You would even see it on menus and drinks machines in restaurants.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    I was in America last year and everything has that label. You would even see it on menus and drinks machines in restaurants.
    Hmmm as I thought. Suing culture out there so they have to cover themselves for absolutely everything. Even against eating vast amounts of burgers makes you fat claimants etc ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    California have OTT labelling regulations for potential carcinogens in harmless quantities
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    roberty said:
    California have OTT labelling regulations for potential carcinogens in harmless quantities
    I hardly touch my pickups once they’re in. Except for maybe resting my hand on the bridge pickup whilst playing but I’m hardly doing that every minute of the day and everyday. Just have to cover themselves I guess 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    Ligitious. Covering ass.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    from the rather odd wording, part of me wonders if this is as a result of a law suit rather than any scientific studies. Juries are a lot easier to convince that something is true even if the science doesn't concur.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7821
    A friend of mine is being sued because she sold mugs to TK Max, and their USA business, TJ Max. 

The mugs did not have ‘Paint does not contain lead’ sticker on the box, which is required specifically under California law. 

There are several legal companies who make their money by putting sales reps in the field, these sales reps go shopping, and look for missing stickers/legal disclaimers, thry buy the products, get a receipt, then sue companies who haven’t complied with this law. It’s a despicable practice, and an example for capitalism gone wrong, so heavily promoted in the USA. Both TJ Max and my friend are being sued because of this. 

So, this Nickel disclaimer is likely there to cover them under some obscure state based US law. 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    ditto a few comments above ref California - I have heard about it before and even a EU ban rumour
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    Their number of deaths by shootings is insane per month, yet they’re worried about this shit which contains low levels of chemicals which may be linked to causing cancer and birth defects.  

Maybe if you ingest it or wear it in jewellery the risks are higher.. 

I feel the UK/Eu have a little more sense when it comes to health regulations and labelling. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    edited October 2020
    ditto a few comments above ref California - I have heard about it before and even a EU ban rumour
    World gone mad example again. Good to have these warnings on some things but it’s got to be connected with the amount of actual exposure to it warrant. Hard to prove anything I guess so has to be a blanket warning etc. 

I wonder what would happen if someone tried to eat their nickle covered pickups. At least it would be a tonefull death Grieving family will no doubt be waiting for any feedback from the coroner ;) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    The EU was talking about banning nickel a few years ago but have basically put the whole idea on ice for now due to huge pushback from big nickel... or at least a consortium of businesses affected, including MI manufacturers.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    skunkwerx said:
    Their number of deaths by shootings is insane per month, yet they’re worried about this shit which contains low levels of chemicals which may be linked to causing cancer and birth defects.  

Maybe if you ingest it or wear it in jewellery the risks are higher.. 

I feel the UK/Eu have a little more sense when it comes to health regulations and labelling. 

Warning: bullets contain lead
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    The EU was talking about banning nickel a few years ago but have basically put the whole idea on ice for now due to huge pushback from big nickel... or at least a consortium of businesses affected, including MI manufacturers.
    I heard the initial rumour a while ago, but nothing since, so did not know about it going on the 'back burner' - Just suspect with the EU everything takes years to  get there
    Whitecat said:
    I heard the initial rumour a while ago, but nothing since, so did not know about it going on the 'back burner' - Just suspect with the EU everything takes years to  get there
    Anyway we’re not in the EU anymore?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    edited October 2020
    Whitecat said:
    What they did was they folded nickel regulation into the REACH directive instead of issuing a so-called 'nickel directive' - so there are still proscribed limits on how much you can use in any given thing (esp jewellery) but they are a subset of a bigger group of rules and watered-down substantially from the initial proposals. I think it's unlikely they will go full-ban now.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    TheMarlin said:
    A friend of mine is being sued because she sold mugs to TK Max, and their USA business, TJ Max. 

The mugs did not have ‘Paint does not contain lead’ sticker on the box, which is required specifically under California law. 

There are several legal companies who make their money by putting sales reps in the field, these sales reps go shopping, and look for missing stickers/legal disclaimers, thry buy the products, get a receipt, then sue companies who haven’t complied with this law. It’s a despicable practice, and an example for capitalism gone wrong, so heavily promoted in the USA. Both TJ Max and my friend are being sued because of this. 

So, this Nickel disclaimer is likely there to cover them under some obscure state based US law. 

The only acceptable response to having to pay out here would be to do so in nickels, which unsurprisingly do contain nickel. And people are allowed to carry such toxic materials in their pockets! Has the world gone mad? 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    Suggesting that California state is overly cautious with it's carcinogenic product labelling is litigious in itself, you lot had better lawyer up.  =)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Look I get it "this is how you remind me" was pretty annoying but I think this thread is taking things too far. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Sesh said:
    TheMarlin said:

The only acceptable response to having to pay out here would be to do so in nickels, which unsurprisingly do contain nickel. And people are allowed to carry such toxic materials in their pockets! Has the world gone mad? 
    Perhaps these ‘legal companies’ could sue the mint every time the find a nickel without a warning label...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom