Nose Gate (or indeed a noise gate!), in particular the one in my Audio Technica wireless receiver

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
edited October 2020 in FX
Hi all

I have issues with noise that is quite annoying but could be pretty much wiped out with my wireless system which is a old looking Audio Technica ATW-R09. I used to think that it was because the ground was isolated that the noise reduced (though I never felt it was a ground noise) but this was disapproved by two ground isolation boxes not performing the same job. 

After a while I noticed there was something on the back of the receiver called Squelch, which when I googled it I found is actually a noise gate. So it could be that which is solving it, not the fact it's wireless

But everything I've used any other noise gate, on multi effects pedals, they have sounded terrible and cut your sounds off when you play quietly when they are on a setting to kill the noise, or you can still hear the noise when it's set too low.

Anybody know what might be different about that circuit and whether any noise gate pedals would do the same? Or are they like the ones I've seen on multi effects (currently using the Digitech gsp1101)?

Found this article
https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/support/audio-solutions-question-of-the-week-what-is-the-auto-squelch-function-on-the-3000-series-4th-generation-wireless-and-how-do-i-use-it/

Which seems to refer to the RF incoming, that it cuts off noise when it's lower than a certain amount. Does that mean this kind of noise gate only works with the RF wireless system? And therefore not possible in a pedal form?

Thanks

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    "Nose Gate"

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philtre said:
    "Nose Gate"

Haha flipping autocorrect!!!!
  • Appreciate my query is a bit niche :) but just wondered if anybody had any thoughts on noise gate pedals and whether they could work like the one in my wireless system, or whether they will work like the one in my modelling unit which isn't that good.

Thanking you
  • So the noise gate in your wireless and the one in your multifx basically do the same thing, only one of them works in the RF domain and the other one works in the audio domain so it's not entirely surprising that two different implementations in different domains give different results. 

A standalone noise gate (like an ISP Decimator) will likely work in the same way as your multifx but that doesn't mean the results will be the same - not all noise gates are created equal and the ones in mfx units are often pretty crap. 

The best thing to do would be to eliminate noise at source, but I think trying a good quality, stand alone noise gate might work. 

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited October 2020
    Thanks that's useful info, I see what you mean. Eliminating the noise is not possible unless I give up and play acoustic, have had the same problems with it in two houses in two different areas, all manner of guitars and pickups, amps modellers pedals etc. Probably slightly different noises here than at my last house but still just as annoying. I think I might be oversensitive to noise maybe, who knows. But there's been no ways to stop it so far, except using a Variax guitar or using this wireless system, EMGs on my old cheap tele reduced it to a point but didn't kill it completely, similar with my Lace Sensors currently. The wireless system is just quite big and bulky and the power supply is a bit ropey, the sender also eats up batteries.

Would the Boss NS2 count as a good quality noise gate to try? As they seem easily and cheaply available. 
  • Afraid i can't recommend any particular gate - I've never bothered myself.

That said, I've never bought a second hand boss pedal that I wasn't able to sell for what I paid for it so that might be your answer there.