Tax Self Assessment Registration

jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
Afternoon All - I *think* I have to pay £300 in additional tax for my self-assessment tax return this year, and it looks like I've missed the deadline for registering (I've never had to do one before now and it's completely passed me by with everything else going on with the world - and working in Hospitality as been one continuous stress after another since the end of June)....is there anything I can do here? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pretty sure you can register and fill a Self Assessment next year back dated... I did 3 years at once when I first set up
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    you need to submit the return online by the end of Jan 2021, so not sure how you'd have already missed the registration deadline unless you wanted to submit a paper one
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    you need to submit the return online by the end of Jan 2021, so not sure how you'd have already missed the registration deadline unless you wanted to submit a paper one
    not sure, but it states on HMRC that the deadline is 5th October? 

pretty sure you can register and fill a Self Assessment next year back dated... I did 3 years at once when I first set up
    Ah, good to know. thanks :) 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    edited October 2020
    joneve said:
    As far as I know, 5th October is for paper returns - online is Jan next year.  This is for tax year 2019/20.

*edit* I have to do my 92-year-old mother's tax returns, and we have to do paper because we can't set her up for online returns as she has no passport, or driving license, or credit cards - HMG thinks you don't exist if you don't have at least one of these!

• I was self-employed for 28 years, and still have to send a self-assessment form in every year (once you've started, they never forget). My accountant never sends mine in before January 31st.

Personally, I would recommend getting an accountant to do it for you. The £240 I pay is worth every penny in terms of how much he can save me as well as the work that he saves me, too.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    Nitefly said:
    joneve said:
    As far as I know, 5th October is for paper returns - online is Jan next year.  This is for tax year 2019/20.

*edit* I have to do my 92-year-old mother's tax returns, and we have to do paper because we can't set her up for online returns as she has no passport, or driving license, or credit cards - HMG thinks you don't exist if you don't have at least one of these!

Ok ta! I'll have another look on the website, but they don't make it very clear on how/where to register if you're submitting online! TheOtherDennis said:
    I was self-employed for 28 years, and still have to send a self-assessment form in every year (once you've started, they never forget). My accountant never sends mine in before January 31st.

Personally, I would recommend getting an accountant to do it for you. The £240 I pay is worth every penny in terms of how much he can save me as well as the work that he saves me, too.
    my tax to pay is only £100 more than that, so not really something I can afford to do at the minute! But worth keeping in mind. 

Mine should be fairly straight forward as I'm fully employed through a PAYE scheme - the self assessment is to declare tax to pay on my rental income. 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    joneve said:
    Afternoon All - I *think* I have to pay £300 in additional tax for my self-assessment tax return this year, and it looks like I've missed the deadline for registering (I've never had to do one before now and it's completely passed me by with everything else going on with the world - and working in Hospitality as been one continuous stress after another since the end of June)....is there anything I can do here? 

The deadline for registering is 5th October.  You can still register after this date but may be subject to penalties.  I don't know if there's any leniency this year due to covid.  All other penalties seem to have been paused so you may get lucky.  I think the penalty is based on the liability and tax payer "behaviour".  Best bet would be to ring them up and be completely honest about it.
    RedRabbit said:
    joneve said:

The deadline for registering is 5th October.  You can still register after this date but may be subject to penalties.  I don't know if there's any leniency this year due to covid.  All other penalties seem to have been paused so you may get lucky.  I think the penalty is based on the liability and tax payer "behaviour".  Best bet would be to ring them up and be completely honest about it.
    Thank you sir! Don’t suppose you have the best number to hand do you? 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Just their general helpline for self assessment - 0300 200 3310

Wait times on the agent lines can be horrific at the moment as almost all spare resource has been put on furlough duty.  I assume the general lines have been similarly effected. 
  • joneve said:
    I was self-employed for 28 years, and still have to send a self-assessment form in every year (once you've started, they never forget). My accountant never sends mine in before January 31st.

my tax to pay is only £100 more than that, so not really something I can afford to do at the minute! But worth keeping in mind. 

Mine should be fairly straight forward as I'm fully employed through a PAYE scheme - the self assessment is to declare tax to pay on my rental income. 
    Fair enough. Don't forget to take off allowable expenses, though.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    Right...just as a follow up - all registered for self-assessment (after having to change my Government Gateway ID 3 times before I got the "correct" type of self assessment registration.

Now, I have all the relevant numbers for submitting my self-assessment (rental income, interest paid, other expenses etc) and tax scouts basically did the calculations for me, BUT I'm not sure what to expect when I start completing my self-assessment...can I just start doing it and abort if I get stuck or save where I got to if I need to go away and gather anything else? 
  • yockyyocky Frets: 809
    joneve said:

Now, I have all the relevant numbers for submitting my self-assessment (rental income, interest paid, other expenses etc) and tax scouts basically did the calculations for me, BUT I'm not sure what to expect when I start completing my self-assessment...can I just start doing it and abort if I get stuck or save where I got to if I need to go away and gather anything else? 
    Yeah, you can dip in and out of it to your heart's content.

However, as I'm always starting mine at 23:40 on 31st Jan, not a function I use frequently. 
    yocky said:
    joneve said:

Yeah, you can dip in and out of it to your heart's content.

However, as I'm always starting mine at 23:40 on 31st Jan, not a function I use frequently. 
    haha! thanks - I'm sure once I'm familiar with it, I will be doing the same in future years, but just want to make sure I get things right this year. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6794
    I did mine early this year (Early Dec)- yes you can save it at any stage (even after they've calculated how much you owe them). I even had the option of paying it next year by modifying next years tax code, which Ive never had previously as I always submitted at the last minute.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Yeah you can start and stop, saving as you go.
    I did one last month for the first time in years, and as long as you have all you figures to hand it’s actually really easy. The first part basically asks a few questions which then determines which parts of the assessment you need to do, so you don’t have to do any aspects that aren’t pertinent.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.