Titch Gwilym - Little Wing

What's Hot
Heard this on the radio earlier whilst driving back from the shops and it gave me goosepimples. Titch was the closest thing to a Welsh guitar god. A tough song to play even half competently, he glides through this effortlessly with some lovely phrases. I've been feeling a bit jaded with playing guitar recently but that has got me inspired again.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• How bizarre - pretty sure it was on here that I heard of Titch Gwilim, but couldn't remember the name - was just searching youtube for "welsh guitarist" and the like and was listening to just this when I saw the post.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9606
    I remember hearing that when the lp came out and then being obsessed with trying to learn that song for months. I don’t think I even knew much about Jimi Hendrix at the time. I grew up listening to his stuff in Geraint Jarman a’r Cynganeddwyr - here he is in action:

https://youtu.be/c7RT-9GVEMs

Sadly he died in a house fire a few years ago. BTW @Coldfingers I’ve posted his version of our national anthem on here more than once, so maybe that’s what you saw.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited October 2020
    Very nice!  Sad he's gone.  that ending sounded like Close Encounters of the Third Kind! 

First YouTube clip I ever posted was Little Wing with my 69 hardtail Strat and a very cheap Kodak camera. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    It's nicely played I guess, but I have to admit that it sounded a tad fast for my liking.

The problem with playing Little Wing is that SRV set the bar amazingly high on that song. I think of his version as 100% perfection, so everyone else comes up short for me. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6689
    axisus said:
    It's nicely played I guess, but I have to admit that it sounded a tad fast for my liking.

The problem with playing Little Wing is that SRV set the bar amazingly high on that song. I think of his version as 100% perfection, so everyone else comes up short for me. 

Absolutely adored it for years but these days the more I listen to the SRV version the more I think the Jimi version is perfect. Short and sweet - get in and out, leaving you wanting more.

The SRV version is directly responsible for all those G3 wankfests with Zakk Wylde pissing all over the chords. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1084
    SRV is the most overrated guitarist on guitar forums of all time.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    soma1975 said:

Absolutely adored it for years but these days the more I listen to the SRV version the more I think the Jimi version is perfect. Short and sweet - get in and out, leaving you wanting more.

The SRV version is directly responsible for all those G3 wankfests with Zakk Wylde pissing all over the chords. 
    100% agree, when Hendrix played it live he always kept it short too.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    soma1975 said:

Maybe but they always sound crap tonally. There's a Steve Vai version somewhere and the tone on the cleanish opening part is pitiful, once the gain kicks in he's off but it's kind of out of character for the piece.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    edited October 2020
    Tich Gwilym was great. I worked on the preshow and interval shows of Moving Being's "The Mabinogi" at Cardiff Castle and Geraint Jarman a’r Cynganeddwyr provided lots of live music during the show, this gave me the opportunity to hang out with them. I was 20 years old and loved the whole thing. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Little Wing is like Ain’t No Sunshine. Everybody overplays it. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3021
    edited October 2020
    merlin said:
    Tich Gwilym was great. I worked on the preshow and interval shows of Moving Being's "The Mabinogi" at Cardiff Castle and Geraint Jarman a’r Cynganeddwyr provided lots of live music during the show, this gave me the opportunity to hang out with them. I was 20 years old and loved the whole thing. 
    Wow cool. Any tales? Jarman did release an album of songs based on The Mabinogion, I believe it was for this show.  
    I saw Titch play with the band once, very memorable. Since then I've seen Geraint Jarman's band several more times with different guitarist; such as Peredur ap Gwynedd and Mei Gwynedd. Always excellent. 
    I think SRV was great, and loved his tone but I tried to be more Hendrix like with it...note, I said TRIED!  =)

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • LPManic said:
    Absolutely correct. He shouldnt have been allowed to butcher Little Wing. His version is crass and devoid of Hendrix subtlety, Rank.
    LPManic said:
    Absolutely correct. He shouldnt have been allowed to butcher Little Wing. His version is crass and devoid of Hendrix subtlety, Rank.
    Perhaps a tad harsh guys, I had a good listen again to SRVs version just before and whilst of course I much prefer the original, there's still some great playing in there with SRV giving his own texas blues take on it. He did give it a different kind of vibe, but its such an iconic number I totally get why some folk don't like it. I do still like SRVs version of Voodoo Child though, and his love song to his wife, Lenny.  :)