Strymon Sunset

What's Hot
dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
Is there still love for this pedal?

after doing a search lots of post in 2017 and lots sold and moved on.

how come? Seems a versatile pedal. I guess you learn what circuits stack better than others together and select your favourite. 

Still would people prefer single pedal overdrives?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    edited October 2020
    I still really like it. It crams a whole lot of flexibility into a compact unit and the midi capability and control mean you can create and store around 127 presets! The built in noise gate is handy too for some of the more extreme settings. 
    I had one a while back and went through the "grass is greener" thing so sold it and tried quite a few dual overdrives before coming back to the Sunset. With 6 different "circuits" and the ability to stack in any order or run in parallel it can do everything from clean boost to borderline fuzz. Great pedal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    I've had 2..  it's decent and if you can get one for a decent price is a good all in one option.   For a dual drive pedal, imo it's only been surpassed by a kingsley jester from the ones I've had.  (I've had a hell of a lot).

But...  For the money I could get 2 or 3 drives that imo sound better than the Sunset.
  • thomasw88 said:
    I've had 2..  it's decent and if you can get one for a decent price is a good all in one option.   For a dual drive pedal, imo it's only been surpassed by a kingsley jester from the ones I've had.  (I've had a hell of a lot).

But...  For the money I could get 2 or 3 drives that imo sound better than the Sunset.
    jack of all trades master of none?
    thomasw88 said:

The reason I sold it was that  mainly  used the left side. Wasn't too keen on the right hand side higher gain.  

Get a barber gain changer and another pedal of your choice... 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    It's great but there's no magic.......it gives you a massive amount of choice for a cheap price and a tidy unit
    There are many individual pedals that wont give the variety of sounds but will give a better example of one sound
  • thomasw88 said:
    thomasw88 said:

The reason I sold it was that  mainly  used the left side. Wasn't too keen on the right hand side higher gain.  

I owned one of these years ago! Gain Changer... great pedals. From memory you could cover a lot of ground. Do you set it low gain or higher gain?
    thomasw88 said:
    thomasw88 said:

I owned one of these years ago! Gain Changer... great pedals. From memory you could cover a lot of ground. Do you set it low gain or higher gain?
    Depends on the song.  But to me that pedal and a boost or another drive can give you a better sound than the sunset.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    I had one and could only get one sound I liked out of it, which was basically the same sound as a tube screamer. I sold it on eventually. The new owner has it up for sale too so I presume he’s not getting the sound he’s after either.