Pickup comparison (Jazzmaster content)

What's Hot
This is quite interesting, particularly the Thunderbird pickups. 

https://youtu.be/dMTwxQ0O6ds
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice, I'm liking those thunderbird pickups in there a lot! I'll have to remember those for a future project :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jesus christ he is annoying
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @Mojopickups Would you be able to put one of your Thunderbird pickups into JM form?
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    Gotta say I absolutely loved those thunderbird pickups, that'll give me another excuse to make something else 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • MojopickupsMojopickups Frets: 314
    tFB Trader
    @Mojopickups Would you be able to put one of your Thunderbird pickups into JM form?

I made this about 5 years ago.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Mojopickups Would you be able to put one of your Thunderbird pickups into JM form?

That looks killer. How are the pickups mounted and did you have to do any routing?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    he is annoying
    Never have I seen a person to whom it would be more appropriate to say, Shut Up ‘N Play Yer Guitar. 

Back on topic, I liked all three Both pickup sounds on the DeArmond/Guyatone assembly. Not sure about the other options.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Mike is inherently a good guy...he's just American and as such has a level of enthusiasm that sits awkwardly over here. Hes a gent though. 
  • MojopickupsMojopickups Frets: 314
    tFB Trader
    @Mojopickups Would you be able to put one of your Thunderbird pickups into JM form?

That looks killer. How are the pickups mounted and did you have to do any routing?

No routing and mount with woodscrews and foam under the pickup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichList said: I
    jesus christ he is annoying
    Mike is inherently a good guy...he's just American and as such has a level of enthusiasm that sits awkwardly over here. Hes a gent though. 
    He’s also very knowledgable about gear in general, he used to co-own Mike and Mike’s Guitarbar and their blog has a lot of very useful stuff, particularly on offset guitars.

By comparison, I find a lot of guitar channels on YouTube to be pretty flimsy in terms of actual useful info 
  • Along those lines, there's a Waterslide Guitars video with a Thunderbird Pickup in the bridge. The Lollar Jeff Senn looks kind of similar to one as well, I presume a Thunderbird pickup guts is like a slightly bigger Firebird pickup so sounds along those lines.

I appreciate i was harsh and unfair, I just can't sit through his enthusiasm.  
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.