Suggestions....keyboard for a beginner

What's Hot
GandalphGandalph Frets: 1576
edited October 2020 in Other Instruments
I'm looking at getting a keyboard for my daughter to start learning on. She's nearly five and had a couple of toy one's that she's enjoyed but I want to get her something a bit more serious. A stand would be good too. Ideally looking to send up to £100, maybe a little more. Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5410
    A Yamaha PSR-51 is probably all you need. Can likely get a package deal for around or just over £100 with a stand and a bench and maybe headphones too at a lot of dealers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • get on full size keys asap.. most would probably suggest weighted too but at 5 yrs it's a difficult judgement call
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1576
    The Yamaha PSR-51 looks like a good choice, and you're right. - with all the above mentioned extras it can be had for £115.
    It'll look the part in her room next to her pink mini strat!
    Thank you for the advice :)
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Me and my boys are using SimplyPiano app. A great way of motivating everyone to practice regularly.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12338
    I went to andertons to buy one for my daughter when she needed a practice keyboard at home, the piano guy told me to the Casio CTK240 was the best basic keyboard for the money, after trying a few I agreed and paid £75 I think.  She sold it a year later and got a roland go piano as she got a bit more serious taking grades.

As a basic but decent keyboard the casio was good.
    edited October 2020
    After a quick comparison I think I prefer the Yamaha PSR51 over the Casio CTK240 - it has more keys and looks a bit more substantial.
    Thing is once you start researching a bit even more options come up. Would the Yamaha PER-E363 be an even better option I wonder? I know its getting closer to £200 but it has touch sensitive keys and it has MIDI connection I think It might possibly be better to spend that little bit extra now rather than later...

• I got a Yamaha PSR-E433 after a week's worth of looking for a keyboard because it had nothing against it except one comment from a pro musician saying the keys were not to their complete liking. You'd have to check the specs to see if it has all of what's needed, but I got it so I could learn keyboards and was a bargain at £130 on eBay including delivery, stand and stool. You could maybe get one for a bit less.

If there was a better keyboard out there for around this price I would have bought it, and I did read a lot of reviews.
    Thanks mate, I still haven’t made a decision so I’ll have a butchers...
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited November 2020
    I've got a yamaha portatone I'm thinking about selling. Full size keys.
    Thanks for all the recommendations - after reading far too many reviews I’ve decided to go for a Yamaha PSR-51. If she takes to it we can always upgrade at a later date if needed.