Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your soundcards over the years

What's Hot
The latency thread got me thinking, I've had a fair few cards!

My first one when I was 16 was an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96. What a great little card that was!!! Then I've had (in no particular order):

M-Audio Profire 2626 - recorded so much material on this!

Echo Layla 3G - Nothing special as it turned out. Worked fine, but not enough pre's for me really, which I learned later on.

MOTU 8-Pre

Digidesign 002 - This was a loaner from work that I had for a long time. Used to ADAT it into the Profire 2626 to get 12 mic pres!

Roland Octo-Capture - this went back due to poor performance. Constant drop-outs and nasty glitches. Tried for ages to get it to work properly on multiple machines, and it just didn't play ball.

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Antelope Audio Zen Tour - I had one of these for a bit, and it was quite cool. Didn't like the touch-screen too much I confess. It got quite warm and because at the time I was having mad CPU spiking issues, I didn't trust it and sent it back. In retrospect though, that wasn't really necessary.

Apollo x8p - my current card. I love some of the DSP effects, but I don't really use them as much as I used to. Most of my stuff is in the DAW using native plugins, so I'm thinking of moving this on. But gotta be careful, because I don't want to replace it with a lemon!

Stability-wise, the Apollo has been my favourite out of all of them over the years, with the Profire 2626 a close second.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

Soundblaster AWE32  ... ISA card ... half duplex recording, you could monitor in 8 bit while overdubbing :)

Soundblaster Live, 5V PCI card with some good wavefonts and full duplex. Used it with Cubase VST 

Digi 001, 5V PCI card with rack IO. Came with PT 5 and I was smitten

Digi 002 Rack, firewire version of the 001 with better conversion and nicer preamps

Digidesign D24 core card and 2 DSP Farm cards. 820 convertor  First proper TDM system, no latency recording on a G4, still have it. 

Digidesign Mix core card and 2 Farm cards. Like the above but more power. still have it and use it

Presonus Firestudio, used to add Steven slate samples to a TD3 kit via a laptop. If you think low latency is important on guitar try drumming with latency !

Tascam DM4800, 32 in & out simultaneous recording with HUI control on motorized faders. 

Digidesign HD2 with 192 convertor. Much more power than the Mix system and convertors sounded better, Still have and use it for tracking where no latency is important or opening sessions from pro studios 

2 X Digidesign Mbox Pro's ... one for live keyboards, one for tracking indoors. The bargain audio interfaces of the century, literally pick them up for £45 each

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wow lets see if I can remember, I'll also put the software I was using next to them

Sound blaster pro  (impulse tracker)
    sound blaster awe 32 with the breakout box (impulse tracker and buzz tracker)
    terratec dmx6fire (this was another PCI card with break out box not a fire wire) (buzz tracker, fruity loop and cubase vst)
    M-audio audiophile 24.96 (i think, it was basically the shittest card that would run protool m-powered) (protool m-powered, cubase SX)
    behringer BCA2000 (cubase SX and reaper)
    focusrite saffire pro40 (reaper)
    behringer ADA8000 (reaper)
    tascam us-122 (reaper)
    focusrite scarlett18i20 (reaper)
    focusrite scarlett 18i8 (reaper)

Also had a boss GT-10 and a helix which work as sound cards and a behringer air XR-16

I still have a bunch of them too but my active setup is

Home
    --------

scareltt 18i8 with a slaved focusrite saffire pro40 (mostly cos the firewire sync on the saffire started going so im just using it as 8 more channels of I/O)

Band
    --------
    focusrite scarlett 18i20 expanded with a behringer ADA8000

Spare
    -------
    tascam us122 -- although this is really a spectacularly shit interface. 

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18389
    Started off with next to nothing & I still have them all.
    Griffin PowerWave USB Audio Interface
    Edirol U-A5
    M-Audio Firewire Solo
    As you can see, I was never really into digital audio  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited October 2020
    Emagic Audiowerk 8 - native

Emagic EMI 2/6 - native (and crap)

M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 - native

Pro Tools TDM system- Mix/Farm + 888.

RME Multiface - native

Motu 888 - native

Digidesign Pro Tools HD + 2x Accel cards, 96IO + 888 from TDM system.

Apogee Rosetta 800 - native, then Digidesign HD (still own it)

Apogee Symphony - with Avid HDX

Focusrite Red 8Pre (which was swapped out under warranty for:)

Focusrite Red 8Pre (which was swapped out under warranty for:)

Focusrite Red 16 Line - native and HDX (still own it)

(2) Focusrite A16R  - Dante expanders for the studio (still own them)

(2) Focusrite X2P -  Dante expanders for the studio (still own them)

Universal Audio Apollo X8 - native (still own it)

Avid MTRX - HDX, studio hub (still own it)

The MTRX is an order of magnitude better sounding than anything else I've ever owned.
    The converters are incredible and it has a 1500x1500 channel routing matrix.
    Expandable in a way that other interfaces just aren't.
    I can do Dolby Atmos with it- I can add loads more channels just by adding Dante expanders.
    Buying it was a significant expense but I don't regret it for a second.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Started with a sound blaster, hours of fun with soundfonts:)

Ive had a Steingerg UR22, little Presonus USB one, Audient ID44, Focusrite Scarlett USB, Behringer XR16,  IK Multimedia irig pro, Focusrite Clarett 2-pre Thunderbolt, and a UA Apollo Still have a Steinberg UR44, Zoom TAC-8 and a Clarett 8-pre

Probably forgotten a few too 
  • Just home amateur stuff for me

Line 6 Pod 2.0: OK for monitoring with the built in Line 6 sounds, but latency wasn't low enough for record monitoring using other ampsims. I'd often monitor with the Line 6 sounds, record dry and then substitute other ampsims.

Edirol Roland FA-66 Firewire Interface: Set it up and then never used it because the latency wasn't low enough.

M-audio audiophile 2496 PCI: Good interface with acceptable latency. But not compatible when I upgraded my computer.

Line 6 Pod studio GX: Same comment as for the Pod 2.0 above. I've still got it and use it as a part of my portable laptop setup.

Zoom UAC - 2: My interface now. Does what I need with acceptable latency.

I suppose I could use my Helix LT as an interface for monitoring with the built-in Line 6 sounds, but I've not used it for that purpose.

It's not a competition.
  • Some Sound Blaster thing with soundfonts, M-Audio Fast Track USB, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
  • Emu 0404 PCI
    EDIROL M - 16 DX
    Tascam US-224
    M-Audio Fast Track
    Behringer  UMC22
    Behringer  UMC204HD
    Behringer  UMC 1820
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Soundblaster live 128

Soundblaster live external card

M audio 
    Fast track Pro 

Focusrite sapphire 

Not exciting but still does everything I need. 
  • Fantastic topic :) Got to get the memory working now!

Soundblaster Pro
    Soundblaster AWE32
    Emagic Audiowerk 8
    Digidesign Mbox
    Motu 828 MK I Firewire
    Edirol UA-5
    Line 6 Guitarport
    Focusrite Saffire 8
    Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre TB 
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
    Motu 828 ES
    Motu 24 i/o
    Focusrite RedNet XP2
    Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre TB

a few others I have forgotten (or can't remember if I owned or not when I worked in MI sales!)

Got a bit of a thing for Focurite (apart from the Saffire range which was a nightmare over Firewire)

• WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited October 2020
    @LightB4sound ;;;
     What's the latency and performance like with the Clarett range? The Scarlett 18i20 I had was okay. Latency wasn't great, and I would often get glitches and pops and clicks at a buffer size of 64, which is why I moved to the Apollo, so I could do more stuff outside the DAW and afford to have my buffers high. But a new PC on the horizon has also got me thinking about a new interface. Was thinking Presonus Quantum or Antelope Audio Discreet 8, but maybe I should look at the Clarett range....

I can't guarantee that Thunderbolt is going to work properly on the new rig, so it'd be a risk in any case.

Oh wait... just looking... looks like they don't do the TB Clarett's anymore?!

Bye!

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    SoundBlaster AWE32

EMU 0404 - this was ace, but the demise of Windows6 did for it.

Juli@ and various other PCI, never really got the stability of the 0404 until ...

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

If I needed better I'd probably get something more expensive with onboard DSPs to make latency and dropouts a thing of the past, and Dante/ADAT expansion. Focusrite RED or similar
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • yorkioyorkio Frets: 173
    edited October 2020
    Just the three…

Emagic a6|2m
    RME Multiface
    Apogee Duet

I have to say, I *really* miss the Multiface - I only got rid of it because my old G5 died and I didn't have anything to put the PCI card in. 
  • Love seeing how many people started on SB pros and AWE32s
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited October 2020
    I started way later than you guys so...

Lexicon alpha - was starting out and had no idea what I was doing. Never got much out of it.
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Gen 1 - Good interface and I got alot recorded on it.
    RME Babyface Pro - More ins, more stable, low latency, it should last me a good number of years!
  • @WiresDreamDisasters  ;

Latency is great on the Claretts. I mostly run at 64 samples only have issues with vi heavy sessions but I tend to bounce to audio as part of my workflow. Also I mix at 1024 samples in PT as I never have to worry about too many plugins.

You can still find them refurbished on the Focusrite site. I can't speak about TB on PC as I'm a Mac user. Also they are quite a few years old now.

I am hoping that bring something else out at that level without having to go to red.

If I was on PC of give RME a serious look.

All the best.
  • @WiresDreamDisasters  ;

Latency is great on the Claretts. I mostly run at 64 samples only have issues with vi heavy sessions but I tend to bounce to audio as part of my workflow. Also I mix at 1024 samples in PT as I never have to worry about too many plugins.

You can still find them refurbished on the Focusrite site. I can't speak about TB on PC as I'm a Mac user. Also they are quite a few years old now.

I am hoping that bring something else out at that level without having to go to red.

All the best.
    Yeah, RME on the cards too guv. The Fireface UFX.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

My first one when I was 16 was an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96. What a great little card that was!!! Then I've had (in no particular order):

I used one of those for years - rock-solid drivers, decent latency .. one of the great soundcards.

I actually started in the 1990s with a SoundBlaster card ... wasn't bad for the price. I used other M-Audio gear an NI Komplete Audio unit, a couple of Line 6 rack units, and now Steinberg interfaces which are made by Yamaha.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    @WiresDreamDisasters  ;

All the best.
    The mic pres on the claretts are great too, However, I’ve just sold my 8pre and kept my Zoom TAC.  Most of the time I’m just using an interface for guitar into HelixNative, and I don’t know what, but the Zoom just sounded better to me.  It just beats the clarett for latency too, although both are excellent 
  • John_A said:
    @WiresDreamDisasters  ;

All the best.
    The mic pres on the claretts are great too, However, I’ve just sold my 8pre and kept my Zoom TAC.  Most of the time I’m just using an interface for guitar into HelixNative, and I don’t know what, but the Zoom just sounded better to me.  It just beats the clarett for latency too, although both are excellent 
    Thanks John, that's good infos!

Bye!