Muting unwanted resonances from the ‘Headstock Harp’

What's Hot
I used to apply a scrunchie across the strings on the headstock side of the nut with a view to avoiding unwonted resonances and strings ringing, even after being muted.

Then I acquired one of these foam devices, (oddly with an electric guitar that I purchased), that does the job and looks a lot more elegant.

I have no idea what this is called or where I can get some more of these. Can someone help please?

https://i.imgur.com/AmhFwvy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ow81LyY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iCPzdvn.jpg

And here’s the rest of the guitar..

https://i.imgur.com/BNMVMbw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2l8Vm4E.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Watching with interest.

I always use a scrunchie: added benefit is being able to pull it over the nut for extra muting help when doing some tricky recording ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72251
    That's actually intended as a pick holder. You can get them on Amazon or Ebay, they're about a pound each.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 814
    Thanks John :-)
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2285
    This has been a problem to me on some Teles, particularly with the G string. My solution is to pop a rubber grommet between the G and D strings above the nut. I do the same thing with the 3 pairs of strings between the bridge and Bigsby on my Gretsch.
  • Isn’t there something called the string butler that might have a similar effect? It’s usually for improving the angle of strings behind the nut if I remember correctly. 
    Isn’t there something called the string butler that might have a similar effect? It’s usually for improving the angle of strings behind the nut if I remember correctly. 
    Yes there is.

Consider these two objects:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2020
    I think the string butler is designed for Les Paul type 3+3 headstocks where the strings bend not only downwards but also outwards at the nut towards the tuning posts, this is particularly severe on the middle two strings (the third and the fourth). The splay’ of the strings is quite evident even on a cursory look at the headstock.

The String Butler is supposed to convert all six strings into passing along straight lines across the headstock. 

Somehow I’m not convinced because on each string if you look at it from a certain angle the string looks like a straight line. If the nut slot is oriented taking that angle into consideration and parallel to it, I think there shouldn’t be any extra friction involved with a 3+3 headstock...

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    edited October 2020
    jaymenon said:
    I don't think I want Alice's name on my headstock - but this is a good buy. 10 for £3.33
    And there's another perfect use for the trusted gaffer tape. Or sandpaper if you're out of gaffer...... 
  • Keefy said:
    Isn’t there something called the string butler that might have a similar effect? It’s usually for improving the angle of strings behind the nut if I remember correctly. 
    Yes there is.

Consider these two objects:

That is also true
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    i had this on an acoustic with very tall tuning pegs. i think they had reused slotted headstock tuners that stood proud of the headstock surface. 

anyway, changed to klusons and it's all good. 
  • The only time I really notice any headstock resonance, is at volume with quite a bit of gain...a percussive whack of the strings and you can hear some high pitched overtones. I don't like the sound of ringing springs either but I find that more annoying when playing unplugged #justaweirdo
    It can be a real nuisance on an acoustic guitar though...
  • jaymenon said:
    It can be a real nuisance on an acoustic guitar though...
    I do have my acoustics muted too...just in case ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72251
    jaymenon said:
    I think the string butler is designed for Les Paul type 3+3 headstocks where the strings bend not only downwards but also outwards at the nut towards the tuning posts, this is particularly severe on the middle two strings (the third and the fourth). The splay’ of the strings is quite evident even on a cursory look at the headstock.

The String Butler is supposed to convert all six strings into passing along straight lines across the headstock. 

Somehow I’m not convinced because on each string if you look at it from a certain angle the string looks like a straight line. If the nut slot is oriented taking that angle into consideration and parallel to it, I think there shouldn’t be any extra friction involved with a 3+3 headstock...
    Even if you do, the angle those strings pass through is still much larger than for the other strings, and in order to align the groove like that it's going to give a greater length of contact (because of the shape of the top of the nut) and so cause more friction. It's very difficult to avoid that unfortunately.

That said the String Butler is a horribly ugly, over-complex solution which causes other problems including adding mass, which is not necessarily a good thing. From the only one I've come across actually fitted to a guitar it doesn't even fix the problem anyway - proper cutting of the grooves and lubrication is still more effective.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    jaymenon said:

Even if you do, the angle those strings pass through is still much larger than for the other strings, and in order to align the groove like that it's going to give a greater length of contact (because of the shape of the top of the nut) and so cause more friction. It's very difficult to avoid that unfortunately.

That said the String Butler is a horribly ugly, over-complex solution which causes other problems including adding mass, which is not necessarily a good thing. From the only one I've come across actually fitted to a guitar it doesn't even fix the problem anyway - proper cutting of the grooves and lubrication is still more effective.
    I have a Les Paul Standard which has no tuning problems. A friend has a Les Paul Standard with a String Butler and he has constant tuning problems.