NGD coming - A Feline Lion for my birthday

What's Hot
FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
in Made in the UK tFB Trader

I've had this quilted maple capped mahogany body on the backburner for ages - a few years in fact .

It initially had a little movement in the mahogany - a slight cupping of the wood - so we put it to one side and let it rest for a few years, checking it periodically and after a while felt that it had stabilised. Looking at the beauty of the quilt you can see why we persevered with it.

We got it built up with all of the woodwork pretty much done.

So as I've had a free weekend I decided to push ahead a little further with it.

First I installed some inlays I had 

Work in progress:

Finally in

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader

Next up it was time to get some frets in once the fingerboard and inlays were levelled and polished
    As is usual for my own guitars I chose Dunlop 6000 wire - my personal favourite

I used my trusty arbor press for the first fourteen

I then had to switch to another method for the remaining 8 - so going old school to an extent we hammered them in, but also using Stewmac's "Jaws3" and superglue to ensure a snug trouble free fit (all of the frets are glued as well as using the barbs - my preferred route)

imageimage

All done!

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2014 tFB Trader

So next it needed some hardware and pickups.
    I had saved a few of my favourite things and some parts that I wanted to try out.

Tuners - I chose the Graph Tech Ratio tuners - the ones where every string has a different ratio to ensure a more even winding rate - so no more twitchy winding experience on the G string and Low E.

Nut - as ever I went for the Earvana compensated tuning system nut (once you hear your guitar sound so much more in tune it's pretty hard to go back , and it requires nothing different from the player)

Bridge: a Tone Pros locking one (good experience with these, so happy to use again)

Tailpiece: a lightweight aluminium one (like I used on the 20th anniversary range - I feel it aids the top end clarity a lot)

Tailpiece studs: Some Tonepros split locking ones - holds the tailpiece 100% rigid - great resonance transfer in my opinion.

Electrics : some 500k CGE pots (like Gibson used to use - I often use the BKP 550k ones but I still have a soft spot for these and these are the last ones I had as CGE have ceased production). The caps are Jensen oil and paper ones - a 0.022uF for the bridge and a 0.015uF for the neck tone. These were wired in 50s wiring.

Oh - and the speed knobs go up to 11!

Pickups: At last I have a home to try out my BKP 10th anniversary set in :)
    My colleage Tom has had his set in a guitar for a while and keeps telling me I'm missing out- so the time is nigh to try my set out.

Now to think about colour - I'm thinking of painting it the same colours as the blues and greens in the abalone. With all that quilting it should look like water on a tropical beach.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    A masterpiece thanks for sharing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27432
    That's quite nice ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • xwolf5150xwolf5150 Frets: 180
    Can we see inside the control cavity ??
    tFB Trader
    Not yet but soon Wolf
    the harness is neat but I think I need to deepen the cavities a whisker

• Good god!

Quick question - when the frets are glued in, how easy/difficult are they to then replace when a refret is due?  I suspect that guitar will be played quite a lot!

Just asking out of interest more than anything :)
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Argh I wanna see the pretty guitar but my work PC is blocking the pics!  :(
  • Arktik83 said:
    I'll describe it.

It's a Feline.  It's that good.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Arktik83 said:
    Now that makes no sense - how are they supposed to keep you motivated to work hard and earn money if you can't check out tempting things to buy

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422

Now to think about colour - I'm thinking of painting it the same colours as the blues and greens in the abalone. With all that quilting it should look like water on a tropical beach.

From the photos, it looks great just natural. Or perhaps a transparent charcoal grey. But then my colour tastes are pretty conservative!
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Arktik83 said:
    Now that makes no sense - how are they supposed to keep you motivated to work hard and earn money if you can't check out tempting things to buy
    I know!!  Btw, just seen the pics and that was worth the wait.  Looks awesome!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Absolute thing of beauty. Which is exactly what I expected. Lovely guitar.
  • luscombeluscombe Frets: 155
    Beautiful workmanship. It's going to look terrific!
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    @FelineGuitars - That looks great Jonathan - how will it differ from your 20th Anniversary models? Will #9 start feeling jealous? ;-)
    tFB Trader
    It sort of sits between the Lion Special and the 20th Anniversary - bridges the gap in a way

Unlikely #9 will ever ned to feel jealous........it's just too awesome!