Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Second Hand Bargain Amps?

What's Hot
ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
In other words amps that take a massive bath in value once they are second hand but are brilliant.

I suspect they will fall into the bloody loud or heavy bracket.

The two that spring to mind are the H&K Puretone and the Blackstar Artisan 100w.

Any other sleepers out there?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    edited October 2020 tFB Trader
    Fender Twin
    JCM 900
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    Not sure what percentage qualifies as a bargain but my DRRI was £800 on eBay. They are £1400ish new so it felt like a good deal, particularly being an FSR. It does seem that good amp deals are easier to come by than guitars.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Rivera anything.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    Carlsboro 50 Top
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    Laney VH or GH amps
    Peavey JSX
    Randall RM or the V2/T2 amps

tFB Trader
    Stevepage said:
    Laney VH or GH amps
    Peavey JSX

Good call.

Also Laney LC amps.

I think an LC50 went on here for £200 once.
  • Peavey 6505 + 112 I picked mine up for £200
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Stevepage said:
    Laney VH or GH amps
    Peavey JSX

Good call.

Also Laney LC amps.

I think an LC50 went on here for £200 once.
    Not as common, but the lh50 is also a bargain frequently. 50 Watts, half size head, toroidal transformer to help with size. Probably built not great but mine never went wrong and sounded really great, like old-school 70s and 80s rock. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    edited October 2020
    I bought a blues Jr for £50 once, just needed a new valve. 

Kuston Coup 36 & 72 & head. We’re about £1k new for the Coup 36 1x12.  2x10 and 2x12 were more expensive.  72 even more expensive, and came in 2x10 and 2x12. 

Excellent amps. Cleans that’ll kick the ass of a HRD, OD channel is great, very Marshall like. 

Great reverb (and tremolo on 72). 

The 36 can often be seen offered for £150.  Stupid good value.  I got one for £80 once.  Gave it away to a friend. 

I nearly bought the 2x10 new back I’m the day.  If you see one, snap it up.   Best £150 you’ll have ever spent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’d have thought there’d be a few Traynor offerings on here. @ICBM will doubtless be able to fill in the blanks for me 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589
    The Artisan 100 is truly bombproof. No FX loop but the multiple inputs allow you to 'kludge' one or, it could be modded (I actually put a Fender reverb stage and tank in one for a famous name. Never got a &^&% drink off him tho'but!)

'KING loud of course.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2331
    Pretty much most Laneys really. 

TT50 & TT100 are wonderful sounding, highly spec’d amps that can be picked up for embarrassingly little money. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    Victoria amps
    Wienbrock
    Matchless are often silly cheap for their quality and branding

Any Ceriatone
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    Daiganzen said:
    Peavey 6505 + 112 I picked mine up for £200

Damn that's good
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18376
    StefB said:
    Pretty much most Laneys really. 

TT50 & TT100 are wonderful sounding, highly spec’d amps that can be picked up for embarrassingly little money. 
    Spot on. I have several TT20's & a TT100 2x12 combo.
    Like guitars, most people buy by name, looks or reputation rather than by how they actually sound  B)
    edited October 2020

Also Laney LC amps.
    Apart from the LC15, which is an absolute piece of crap and should be avoided at all costs. Even if some people seem to think they sound good... I don’t know why.

The bigger LCs, and all the VCs including the VC15, are much better in every way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    I was looking at Marshall combos on ebay recently and DSL15C/DSL5C amps seem to be going for about half the price of Class 5s. If they’re half as crap as I’m led to believe Class 5s are...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Laney GH50L. I sold mine for £200 and wish I hadn't bothered.
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

Also Laney LC amps.
    Apart from the LC15, which is an absolute piece of crap and should be avoided at all costs. Even if some people seem to think they sound good... I don’t know why.

The bigger LCs, and all the VCs including the VC15, are much better in every way.

What's the problem with the LC15?

I remember them being the first affordable small valve amp and quite novel at the time.

I remember playing one through a 4x12 and thinking it sounded great, but I was young and had hardly played any valve amps at the time so it might just be a rose coloured memory.

What's the problem with the LC15?
    Everything. It’s literally the worst-built amp I can think of. Failure-prone transformers, crappy thin PCB with the power valves mounted on it so it warps and cracks with the heat, shitty pots (and on the underside of the board so you can’t even clean them without taking it out), flimsy chipboard cabinet with badly-glued vinyl which comes off, and in most of them a crap speaker.

Many other Laneys have one or two of those problems... but the LC15 has *all* of them. To be fair I can think of a lot of other amps that sound worse, but I still don’t think it sounds at all great. Pretty much any amp will sound good through a half-decent 4x12”...