Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amplitube 5

What's Hot

Comments

• I'm a sucker for a pretty face.
    I'm the opposite...it's got a nice interface, but it seems like a lot of effort's been put into the front end and not a huge amount into the actual models - unless I'm missing something?

I've never actually managed to get a decent sound out of Amplitube. The VIR tech - as long as it's not just a hack on top of base IRs - looks interesting, but I don't think that's enough to justify a whole new version with just a few new models and some lipstick slapped on the front.
    Routing-wise, there's a lot more flexibility. They've done something to the gain structure and poweramps of every amp, and they've implemented impedance matching between the amps poweramp and cab.

I'm not gonna blow my load just yet, but if they've radically improved the sound, this could be a no brainer for me.

And because I already own a bunch of Amplitube stuff, when 5 launches, I install the custom shop version and test out the existing amps I've got. If I like the changes, I buy the upgrade and get the Bogner and Diezel, which are the ones I'm really interested in.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 185
    The samples on the website sound amazing! 
  • Threeway sounds interesting.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got Amplitube 4 and found it so unintuitive to use that I never bothered and just went back to Hx Native every time. New one looks a lot better in that respect. 
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    I am a long time Amplitube used and prefer it to Guitar rig. I find it intuitive to use but it would be overkill for just noodling. I guess for me the deciding factor will be how much the cost of upgrading is. The only down I have had with Amplitube was that I bought the Hendrix pack and haven't found it particularly useful.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • HI - V5 due for release soon and there's good deal for pre-ordering, but as anyone seen any info on what's not included in the free CS version 5? The fuller fat SE version is 100 pre ordered which is about 50 off. Cheers
  • There's a chart on the IK site with all versions side-by-side. SE has "more stuff". I may go for MAX + AXE I/O as I don't have an audio interface worthy of the name at the moment. I probably prefer S-gear for amps, even sounds epic with my Peavey Xport.
  • I only noodle, but what the hell, it's Christmas so I may get the MAX + AXE I/O bundle.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 735
    There's a chart on the IK site with all versions side-by-side. SE has "more stuff". I may go for MAX + AXE I/O as I don't have an audio interface worthy of the name at the moment. I probably prefer S-gear for amps, even sounds epic with my Peavey Xport.

Absolutely. I am just a bedroom player so don't need much complexity in my set up but to my ears S-Gear is by far the best sounding amp modeller out there, even better than Helix.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • I've got Amplitube 4 and found it so unintuitive to use that I never bothered and just went back to Hx Native every time. New one looks a lot better in that respect. 
    To be honest, the only thing that looks better in Amplitube 5 vs Helix Native from a usability perspective is the cab sim interface.

Then again, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Native user ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    MODS: Threads merged
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • So I've been having a bit of a bash at this now it's out.

Honestly???

I think it easily rivals anything NeuralDSP have to offer, and I think it rivals anything I've heard from my Helix, Kemper, or AxeFX's over the years.

I'm very impressed. The amps have a new solidity and sag to them that they did not have in previous versions. The poweramp improvements must be doing something nice. 

The honky mids from Amplitube 2-4 are gone. Now we have very nice and pleasant smooth tones. Very much like what you get when sweeping a mic across a real cab.

The GUI's are beautiful. It shouldn't matter really, but somehow it does. It just feels nicer to use. Resizeable screen is great, and the user experience is very well thought out.

I am a fan.

So I've used bits of Amplitube on all three of my bands albums in the past, but often begrudgingly. The first album our other guitarist's DSL broke the day before tracking, so we ended up using a Marshall from Amplitube 2. Then on our 2nd album I used Amplitube 3 for some clean guitars and also as an extra layer of dirt on the bass guitar. Same thing on the third album.

Amplitube 5 wont make it onto the new album, everything is tracked already. But for recording at home I think this is a very viable product. I'm not hearing anything that I wouldn't put out on a record.

That isn't quite the first time I've ever said that. But it's one of the few times I've said that.

Bye!

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    About the GUI thing... I actually think wanting good graphics is totally valid.

I used to be of the opinion that it's "all about the sound, man" and there are some plugs I use (airwindows) where having no GUI at all is a refreshing change.

But I think we are inherently visual creatures as we interact with tools and objects in the world around us, and there's no getting round it. The visual helps you comprehend and understand the tool that you're using.

Now, this can be used in a cynical way - by making something that sounds shit look beautiful it's possible to pull the wool over a user's ears, to some degree. An elaborate McGurk Effect.

But if the tool sounds great, why not have it look exactly like it sounds? That helps the user get into the headspace to best use the options in front of them in an inspiring way.

I'll deffo try out Amplitube 5.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7083
    They sent me a copy for review and I'm pretty impressed with it. Thankfully the GUI is a million times better than the old one and I would agree it sounds a lot better in the mids, and amps are way more realistic.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• I downloaded Amplitube 5, but I don't think I have the CPU for it. There was quite a bit of popping at times, albeit using a cheap Peavey Xport interface. The GUI was also a bit laggy though, and this is on a Core i5 8th Gen 8250 CPU and 8GB of RAM.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    Just played with the limited demo and I'm blown away.  I'm very tempted.  I don't need it.  I don't need it...
  • dsteinschneiderdsteinschneider Frets: 1
    edited December 2020
    Hi, I just joined. I got here while searching for discussions of Amplitube 5 users. I've been using AT4 for recording bass and guitar. I went the Custom Shop route a few years ago buying just SVX and Fender 2 until IK offered me Studio Max 2 for about $80 this year. 

I installed the Custom Shop version of AT5 and tested a bunch of my presets and found they sound more like the actual amps but even more important they play better. Usually UI improvements don't move me but in this case the AT4 UI was pretty bad so I really appreciate them cleaning that up. 
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    Hi, I just joined. I got here while searching for discussions of Amplitube 5 users. I've been using AT4 for recording bass and guitar. I went the Custom Shop route a few years ago buying just SVX and Fender 2 until IK offered me Studio Max 2 for about $80 this year. 

I installed the Custom Shop version of AT5 and tested a bunch of my presets and found they sound more like the actual amps but even more important they play better. Usually UI improvements don't move me but in this case the AT4 UI was pretty bad so I really appreciate them cleaning that up. 
    Hi and welcome to the forum! :)

I dabbled with AT4 and wasn't that impressed.  Quality of the modelling seemed quite inconsistent to my ears and yeah, the UI, especially the preset browser drove me mad.  V5 seems a big improvement.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7083
    I downloaded Amplitube 5, but I don't think I have the CPU for it. There was quite a bit of popping at times, albeit using a cheap Peavey Xport interface. The GUI was also a bit laggy though, and this is on a Core i5 8th Gen 8250 CPU and 8GB of RAM.
    I think 8GB RAM is pretty low for this type of software, as that CPU needs to work out a lot of stuff and will dump it all in RAM to do so.

And you are on the money with your interface, as it probably has to work very hard to give a decent latency and probably can't keep up.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway