SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Traded: Avalon A2-20 (price slash)

What's Hot
danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
edited April 2021 in Acoustics £

In my continuing quest to raise funds to support an arch-top habit I seem to find myself in I’m selling another one of my more valuable instruments. I'll keep this up whilst the guitar I'm interested is still available.

I’ve not had the opportunity to play a Lowden or a McIlroy so I don't have a whole lot of reference in terms of the 'Irish voice' that these instruments are supposed to have but it's certainly different than all other US derived designs I've owned. A lot of sustain with a nice orchestra of overtones and shimmer. Quite a rich tone. The neck is superb, comfortable and very stable due to its multi piece design and bi-flex truss rod. It's a bit of a goldilocks size, a bit more rounded shapes than an OM with a bit more depth and overall volume without falling into Jumbo territory. Auditorium.

It has just recently come back from Newtonards where it has had a heel cap replacement to resolve a strap pin location change (the heel strap pin made it front heavy and front to toppling forward). Personal preference thing but the guitar is now far better balanced when hanging. It also had a full service, new saddles and a fret levelling/dress to factory spec setup. Overall this came at a considerable cost but it was worthwhile as the end result is as you would expect from the workshop. The process was recently documented in this thread.

It also has the highly regarded L.R. Baggs Anthem dual source pickup system installed. With the premier wood upgrades and pickup system, a new build would likely cost around £4000 today.  There are a few small marks/dings throughout the guitar but nothing major to note.

It's a 2013 and the first one ever built under the Pioneer A2-20 model designation.

It's currently strung up with Thomastik Spectrum Bronze 12s, and set up at 2mm, both high and low E at 12th fret.

The guitar is located in Swansea, but due to lockdown it's not possible to meet up. I do have have a suitable box for it so happy to post as it will go inside its sturdy Hiscox case.

£1950 £1750

If you click the photos you can examine them in high resolution.

avalon-01 avalon-02 avalon-03 avalon-04 avalon-05 avalon-06 avalon-07 

Full specs of this particular guitar

Collection - Pioneer

Shape - Auditorium

Soundboard - Sitka Spruce (Bearclaw Premier top)

Back & Sides - Indian rosewood

Bracing - Avalon ‘AXE’ pattern

Bindings - Sycamore

Purflings - Rosewood & Sycamore

Rosette - Abalone

End Pin Wedge - Ebony with Sycamore purfling

Neck - Mahogany with Rosewood & Sycamore

Fingerboard - Ebony

Nut & Saddle - Ox bone

Truss Rod - Bi-flex

Fingerboard Binding - Rosewood & Sycamore

Fretboard - Side Dot Markers Mother-of-Pearl

Bridge Pins - Ebony with abalone dot

Machineheads - Gotoh SG381 with black buttons

No. of Frets - 20

Heel Cap - Ebony

Logo - Mother-of-Pearl

Finish - Nitrocellulose lacquer

Pickguard - Clear

Strings - Thomastik Spectrum Bronze 12s

Electronics - L.R. Baggs Anthem

Hardshell Case Hiscox Std AC

Handcrafted in Ireland

Dimensions in MM

Large Bout - 406

Small Bout - 300

Waist - 252

Soundbox Length inc Heel - 520

Total Length - 1030

Depth - 120

Nut Width - 44

Neck Width at 14th - 56

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8687
    Well, that looks nice!
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers @Roland :)
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 702
    This was one of 3 guitars @danishbacon was kind enough to bring around to mine to sample as he was on his way back from picking up another guitar near to me. Having played and heard him play this Avalon I can attest to it being a lovely instrument and,  just like the Santa Cruz, I don't imagine this will hang around long and will make someone very happy.  If I hadn't just bought my Brook Taw I'd certainly be interested! GLWTS Fred! Judging by the high quality instruments you're selling I'm fascinated to find out what the archtop you're aiming for turns out to be as must be very special indeed!
  • Benm39 said:
    This was one of 3 guitars @danishbacon was kind enough to bring around to mine to sample as he was on his way back from picking up another guitar near to me. Having played and heard him play this Avalon I can attest to it being a lovely instrument and,  just like the Santa Cruz, I don't imagine this will hang around long and will make someone very happy.  If I hadn't just bought my Brook Taw I'd certainly be interested! GLWTS Fred! Judging by the high quality instruments you're selling I'm fascinated to find out what the archtop you're aiming for turns out to be as must be very special indeed!
    Thanks Ben, I hope you’re enjoying your Brook :). I did com close to getting one that was available on the forum a while back but wasn’t the right time. That’s the ambition with the archtop, something special!
  • A nudge to the top as still available
  • Up we go :)
  • Bump
  • Looks like a lovely guitar at a very reasonable price.
  • pruddprudd Frets: 654
    Ive owned a similar model Avalon, super guitars. GLWTS
  • Thanks for the comments both. Indeed, a lovely instrument and I think fairly priced.
  • Sunday bump!
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Worth every penny, and some. What a glorious guitar 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    I have an A1-20 (same with cedar top)
    It's a lovely guitar, so yours will be too

These models are built to the same design, spec and quality as Lowden, and sound the same, you'd need to be very optimistic to claim to tell them apart blindfolded. The main difference is that the Avalon has conventional bridge pins, so is less likely to need repair. I have heard that 90% of Lowden repairs involve the bridge coming loose. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7006
    tFB Trader
    Like this you mean? I fitted a new bridge to this Lowden last year.

They've now redesigned the bridge to remove the weak point but I still prefer the pins (this is the new bridge fitted)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bump for a non self destructing, Lowden voiced Irish beauty 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    edited November 2020
    My favourate acoustic  on the forum glwts
  • Morning bump
  • Up