RIP - Norbert 'Nobby' Stiles

What's Hot
KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18652
RIP to one of the last of the proper old school hard men footballers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Another of the footballing greats from my childhood gone :-(    Great photo in the BBC report showing that big old gap in his front teeth.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Sad news, although having suffered with dementia for some time, it was perhaps a blessing as well.

I was sitting next to him once at a dinner where he was the guest speaker. He was really nervous about his speech and asked me to read it through first. As it happens, it was great, but I did say that people just wanted to see him - the speech was almost incidental. We chatted for some time - he was a lovely man. RIP.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That little jig with the World Cup is one thing that’s always guaranteed to out a smile on my face. RIP Nobby.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited November 2020
    Many happy hours watching Nobby as a youngster.
    He became a legend in 1966.
    RIP Nobby gone but never forgotten.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14174
    tFB Trader
    It was only a short while ago that I watched the whole of the 66 final for the 1st time - Over the years I've seen snippets here and there, but never the whole game - So I watched - IMO Nobby and Alan Ball were the 2 stars that day, with endless running and their work rate - Nobby had a great game in midfield, breaking up their play, picking up loose passes and driving forward

I'm a big LUFC fan and only found out this week that he was brother in law to Johnny Giles

RIP little fellow
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom