Recommendation for Synth for my 11 year old for Xmas

What's Hot
Simple questions..... can anybody recommend a starter synth for my 11 yr old for christmas. He wants to play around with rhythm's and noises, so presumably it would need an in-built sequencer. I'm a bit clueless, any recommendations? Thanks in advance

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932

Do you want it to be an actual hardware "hands on" synth? 
    If your son has his own computer or ipad then getting a midi controller keyboard could be way to go. He can plug this into a PC/iPad to use with software synths/ synth apps. Needs a little bit of know how to initially set up but for a savvy 11yr old not too bad.
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    AlbertC said:

Do you want it to be an actual hardware "hands on" synth? 
    If your son has his own computer or ipad then getting a midi controller keyboard could be way to go. He can plug this into a PC/iPad to use with software synths/ synth apps. Needs a little bit of know how to initially set up but for a savvy 11yr old not too bad.

Thanks for your feedback. He started secondary school in Sept. In music lessons he has been using and learning Ableton which he loves. He's grown up with guitars and music all around, but has had little interest. But since doing it in school he loves the electronic music making and points out the drum loops, melody, etc from track on radio.... 11 yrs with me and no interest, few weeks in school and keen as Mustard!  He has asked for copy of Ableton for christmas, but he points out it is really expensive, so he doesn't expect to get it. He has an amazon fire tablet and access to a family PC.  But software isn't 'hands on' I'd rather the synth route assuming that something for a 11 year old exist's.
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    The Intro version of Ableton is £69 - it's not going to have the features of the more expensive versions though it may well be enough to start with - https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/live/

A Midi Controller keyboard can be as much "hands on" as a synth and they're available for all budgets - https://www.gear4music.com/Audio_Hardware/MIDI_Control_Surfaces.html

Just a thought

AlbertC said:
    The Intro version of Ableton is £69 - it's not going to have the features of the more expensive versions though it may well be enough to start with - https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/live/

A Midi Controller keyboard can be as much "hands on" as a synth and they're available for all budgets - https://www.gear4music.com/Audio_Hardware/MIDI_Control_Surfaces.html

Just a thought

We looked at doing that. About 15 yrs ago,  I played around with midi controllers and pc’s music software, etc and frankly got feed up, went and plugged my strat into my cornel plexi and was much happier. Maybe I’m a little suspicious of the computer interface. Bit more than I was thinking of spending but does this seems to everything, obviously he will need headphones. Would a  behringer ms-1 fit the bill? 
  • A novation Launchpad comes with ableton Live Light and is amazing for all the built in instruments. They do a small version which was pretty great when I played with it last.

https://novationmusic.com/en/launch/launchpad-mini

I use the pro MKII version for all my music making. Everything from drums to synths, and used it with Ableton lite to Suite.
  • chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    Off the top of my head : 

Korg Volca FM. About £130. DX7 sounds, onboard sequencer and arpregiator.

Behringer Crave, essentially an homage to the Moog Mother32. I have a Crave, and it is very decent for the money at £140 new (the Moog is over £500).

If a keyboard is needed with the synth, then i’d look to Arturia. More money, at £260 for the Microbrute, and about the same for the Microfreak.

All very good. I have a Korg Volca drum, not played with the FM. I also have an Arturia, and they are great.

Have a look on youtube at some of the reviews of the above. Loopop is one of my favourites, and give decent walkthroughs. 

Or just buy a Crave  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    I would recommend thinking about an Ableton control surface, such as a PUSH 2
  • chotu495 said:
    Off the top of my head : 

Behringer Crave, essentially an homage to the Moog Mother32. I have a Crave, and it is very decent for the money at £140 new (the Moog is over £500).

If a keyboard is needed with the synth, then i’d look to Arturia. More money, at £260 for the Microbrute, and about the same for the Microfreak.

All very good. I have a Korg Volca drum, not played with the FM. I also have an Arturia, and they are great.

Have a look on youtube at some of the reviews of the above. Loopop is one of my favourites, and give decent walkthroughs. 

Or just buy a Crave  ;)
    A Microbrute is a great way to learn about analog synthesis and not too expensive.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    chotu495 said:
    Off the top of my head : 

Or just buy a Crave  ;)
    A Microbrute is a great way to learn about analog synthesis and not too expensive.
    Both the Crave and the Microbrute look really good, hmmm thanks for the suggestions
    KDS said:
    chotu495 said:
    Off the top of my head : 

Or just buy a Crave  ;)
    Both the Crave and the Microbrute look really good, hmmm thanks for the suggestions

Does the Microbrute have a sequencer? From the youtube demo's it looks like it does, but when I check the Thoman's website. It says in the spec that it does not have an Arpeggiator. I thought a sequencer was the same as an Arpeggiator? I'm confused..... my R7 is currently out, I might have to plug in the plexi :)
    From the suggestions, should I dismiss the Behringer ms-1? Ease of interface and fun is the key thing here. 

Thanks again everyone for your help. 
    Microbrute does have a sequencer. 

Behringer MS1 looks good, as most behringer kit is nowadays. Arturia is very beefy sounding. I’ve not heard the ms1, but think its likely an homage to the roland sh101 of the 80’s.

A sequencer will allow you to tell it what notes to play and the order they are played in, an arpregiator will cycle up and down the notes you hold down on the keyboard. The rise and fall of the Stranger Things theme is an arpreggio, for example  :)

Usb midi will likely be useful too, so keep that in mind as well.
    Spent ages looking at YouTube videos, I think it’s between the ms1, microbrute, monologue or the crave. Leaning towards the monologue, sounds great, looks cool and the interface looks straight forward. Any comments?
    thanks again everyone :)
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    The monologue is very good.   Also second hand Korg Minilogues are great if you want 4 note poly and hand-on experience. 
    Going for the Korg Monologue, PSU and he's going to need some headphones.  Are there any headphone suggestions?
    KDS said:
    Going for the Korg Monologue, PSU and he's going to need some headphones.  Are there any headphone suggestions?
    Great choice, he’ll be delighted!

Headphones....i have Beyerdynamic 770’s. Around £100 and very decent.

chotu495 said:
    KDS said:
    Great choice, he’ll be delighted!

Headphones....i have Beyerdynamic 770’s. Around £100 and very decent.

Is there anything cheaper? They will need to fit as well. Will any headphones fit an 11 yr olds head?
    I have a pair of sennheiser HD25 I've not used for a couple of years. Would they fit the bill?
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Sennheiser hd280 pro perhaps ?