Would you pay £850 for a Sigma acoustic

What's Hot
I have narrowed my choice between 2 dreadnaughts that both play nicely but am a bit torn. The prices are close enough to not be an issue. One is the Gibson G45 Studio and the other an all solid DT45+. It doesn't need to be electro acoustic. They both sound great to me and despite one being very bling and the other very plain. I prefer the finish of the Sigma but the neck on the Gibson feels lovely. I am a bit hesitant of the sigma as it feels like a copy. The Gibson does make me think of it as a cheap Gibson. I think the Sigma is probably my preferred the slightly beefier sound of the Sigma. The Gibson is just a tad brighter
Is £850 on a Sigma too much for a Martin Copy?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    That Sigma seems to have Basswood back/sides. Never have I seen that on an acoustic, I’d be interested how it sounds 
    You will take a big got in resale on that Sigma 

G45s are great. Those two guitars must be poles apart in tone and feel
    Dont worry about it being a copy, most guitars are. 
  • Don't forget that you can change guitar tone / balance with a change of strings, change of bridge material and probably other things that don't spring to mid at this time on a Sunday might.

My only experience of a Sigma was a 6 string cutaway that sounded OK but the neck was a bit narrow for my stubby fingers,. You'd think I'd have noticed that before buying it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    edited November 2020
    Gibson necks are lovely.  And I'd pay maybe half that or a little more for a Sigma, as that's more than a foreign-made guitar ought to cost.

I had a J45 Studio for a spell.  It was nice, but the "Studio" does affect the value and resale. And I did feel in the end that I wanted a type of tone more than that neck.

If you really prefer the Sigma, work out a deal on it or find a used one.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cranky said:
    Gibson necks are lovely.  And I'd pay maybe half that or a little more for a Sigma, as that's more than a foreign-made guitar ought to cost.
    That’s a ridiculous thing to say  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • Deffo just buy the one you like the sound of and like to play. I went with a friend to try some guitars under £600 a little while ago and for the money one of the Martin HPL guitars sounded better than the competition including a £800 Taylor. For £850 I would deffo recommend trying a Martin 000-15m second hand. I managed to find one for a pal at £900. They always seem great value for a solid mahogany guitar. 
  • You always feel the neck under your hands. Unless you play facing a mirror, you never really see the guitar. Hope that helps!  :)
  • Bit of a curveball, but I recently bought a 90s Washburn D32S, and it destroys my 2016 Gibson J45. I was looking at Sigmas at the time and it came up locally so I checked it out.

It was 200 quid. 

Sounds huge, and every frequency is balanced. 

• I never liked a single Sigma I played, to be honest. Not sure if that's constructive, though ;)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    I wouldn't ever consider paying that much for a Sigma Martin wannabe :/

(and I had a Sigma 12 string for 10yrs)

There's much nicer stuff around from the likes of Breedlove, Faith etc
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    edited November 2020
    Andy79 said:
    Cranky said:
    Which, the Gibson or the Sigma part?

Sigmas are made in China.  If a manufacturer outsources to save labor costs, I'm gonna make sure some of those savings are passed on to me.  There's no way a guitar made in China should cost £850, particular given that the value will plummet as soon as it becomes a used instrument. 

For a couple hundred pounds more, you could have a real solid-body Martin like a D15 or a studio Gibson, which I would absolutely buy over a Sigma at those respective prices. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7825
    edited November 2020
    I’ve had two Sigma acoustic. My brother lived in Korea, and now China. He picked them up for me. .  
    No, I wouldn’t pay more than £200 for one, amd even then, I think there are better sounding guitars to be had. 
    One I gave away to my niece as her first acoustic, the other i traded. 
    Any Yamaha FG model (even the starter FG300/310) sounds better than either Sigma I’ve had. 
    They are just budget Far Eastern acoustics, with a famous big sister.  Nothing special, both were underwhelming sounding guitars. 

Cranky said:
    Andy79 said:
    Cranky said:

Sigmas are made in China.  If a manufacturer outsources to save labor costs, I'm gonna make sure some of those savings are passed on to me.  There's no way a guitar made in China should cost £850, particular given that the value will plummet as soon as it becomes a used instrument. 

For a couple hundred pounds more, you could have a real solid-body Martin like a D15 or a studio Gibson, which I would absolutely buy over a Sigma at those respective prices. 
    The Sigma part. Why shouldn’t a solid wood guitar from China cost that much?
    To imply that they are not real instruments is the ridiculous bit
    For the sub 1k market Far Eastern guitars are not to be overlooked 

A D15 is around £1300. Hardly a fair comparison
    And a G45 is what it is, a cheap copy of a J that sounds nothing like one 

• Cranky said:
    Andy79 said:
    Cranky said:

Sorry but that thinking is outdated by about 10 years, Chinese guitars are outstanding these days and cost a premium, any any modern day metal player, none of them play usa it's all far east,
    You need to play: an eastman
    Strandberg, d'angelico, schecter, modern day bc rich the list goes on.

if you think all US guitars are caressed and made passionately by a caring considerate workforce in America you're wrong, I'd rather have a far Eastern guitar made in a decent factory than American any day.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Cranky said:
    Andy79 said:
    Cranky said:

Sorry but that thinking is outdated by about 10 years, Chinese guitars are outstanding these days and cost a premium, any any modern day metal player, none of them play usa it's all far east,

if you think all US guitars are caressed and made passionately by a caring considerate workforce in America you're wrong, I'd rather have a far Eastern guitar made in a decent factory than American any day.

You and @Andy79 miss my point.  I cast no judgement on an instrument merely for being made in China.  All but three of my guitars were made in either Mexico, Indonesia or China and I love them all.  I have a lovely D'Angelico acoustic from China (which I bought because the 50% discount made the price reasonable), and I had a made-in-Korea D'Angelico Deluxe SS for a couple of days that was barely worth the 75% discount that I got on it. 

My point is basically about the labor overhead.  If you pay £850 for a Sigma, you're letting Martin/Sigma pull one over on you, you're selling out, you're letting the labor-outsourcers get away with metaphorical murder.  And you're paying full price for a lesser guitar that you're gonna lose a bunch of money on, rather than spending a little more on a better guitar that will hold value much longer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Cranky said:
    Cranky said:
    Andy79 said:
    Cranky said:

You and @Andy79 miss my point.  I cast no judgement on an instrument merely for being made in China.  All but three of my guitars were made in either Mexico, Indonesia or China and I love them all.  I have a lovely D'Angelico acoustic from China (which I bought because the 50% discount made the price reasonable), and I had a made-in-Korea D'Angelico Deluxe SS for a couple of days that was barely worth the 75% discount that I got on it. 

My point is basically about the labor overhead.  If you pay £850 for a Sigma, you're letting Martin/Sigma pull one over on you, you're selling out, you're letting the labor-outsourcers get away with metaphorical murder.  And you're paying full price for a lesser guitar that you're gonna lose a bunch of money on, rather than spending a little more on a better guitar that will hold value much longer.
    I think your view of China and the general cost of stuff is way out of date, and from January you are in for even more of a shock. 
  • Cranky said:

I have a few guitars from the Sigma factory (99.99% sure they make guitars for Recording King and a few others), and I'd not spend the best part of a grand for a Sigma factory made guitar, as even though they sound and play great they have a few little quirks I'd not be very enthusiastic about at near a grand, but in the UK Recording King have a few models around the £500-600 mark with Red Spruce soundboards and they sound great, and that'd be the most I'd be willing to spend on one of their instruments.

Eastman's quality is great, and I'd have no problem to get another of their premium (eg Red Spruce) guitars over a grand and as their instruments holding value, their prices have risen (eg the E10 is almost 100% more expensive than when I bought mine) so the issue of their premium guitars hold value is not a straightforward one for everyone.

Martins are a little expensive in the UK but for an Eastern built instrument (if it is a problem for some, it isn't for me) Furch have some well guitars for good prices in comparison to their Martin counterparts.

Back to the OP though, I think the new all solid Gibsons sound fantastic, good guitars with straight old D28 bracing (ie not scalloped). A few years back I tried a 10 or so Gibson J15's/35's and they were near enough all superb, I'd definitely consider a new Gibson acoustic if I was looking for a dread.
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1391
    edited November 2020
    Cranky said:

If you pay £850 for a Sigma, you're letting Martin/Sigma pull one over on you, you're selling out
    I don't think Martin have any connection with Sigma nowadays and haven't done for years. They share a UK distributor but there is no direct relationship.

Getting back to the original question, I'd personally get the guitar with the more comfortable neck. I also prefer the idea of a spartan looking basic guitar built down to a cost in a USA factory than a fancy looking Chinese made copy aiming to look like something much more expensive. The latter, no matter how decent it might sound, has the whiff of a Chibson (or, more accurately, a Chartin) about it. No guitar costing under a grand should have abalone inlays and binding – it looks a bit ridiculous and, perversely, makes the guitar look cheap.

• I bought a Sigma Modern Series GK2CE-4+ Koa. Cost me £600. Had my luthier set it up. Neck came out a bit concave in the end, but it sounds lovely, plugged-in or not. In his words - looks like a Taylor; plays like a Taylor (mostly); sounds like a Taylor. I'm not looking to move it on, so resale value is not important. If it sounds nice, feels nice, and you enjoy picking it up and playing it (and I do), who cares what it says on the headstock?