Radial DI JDI vs ProDi. - thoughts?

I am looking at getting a DI box for an extra home studio setup,.. 

Will a human ear detect a difference between the two Radial passive DIs?  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I am looking at getting a DI box for an extra home studio setup,.. 

Yes, in some circumstances.

What will you be putting into it?

R.
  • I am looking at getting a DI box for an extra home studio setup,.. 

Yes, in some circumstances.

What will you be putting into it?

R.
    Passive bass and piezo mandolin/acoustic... some electric guitar.

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    edited November 2020
    You might be better off with a active DI for passive sources, perhaps a J48?

See here: https://www.radialeng.com/comparing-direct-boxes

R.
  • You might be better off with a active DI for passive sources, perhaps a J48?

R.
    If the Jenson transformer does don’t make much real difference I might have got a passive and an active for same price.  I am split locations with lockdown and my active bass is at the other place.
  • FWIW, I use ProD2s and J48s for my live work, plus a SB-4, IC-1, etc.

R.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    HIIIIIJACCCCKKKK

I track bass and acoustic into my interface, sometimes direct, and sometimes through my Kemper (split in 2, processed and DI)

Would I benefit from having something like the J48?

• There are many different sonic characteristics from DI boxes. But basically speaking, a good active one with a reliable transformer will give you a high quality conversion. From there you can decide what sort of flavour you want for your budget.

For example the Rupert Neve DI is expensive, and has a FET gain stage built into it. This is where it's sonic signature comes from.

Something like my cheap Orchid DI doesn't have that. Still sounds good, but has a different sonic signature.

Bye!

• There are many different sonic characteristics from DI boxes. But basically speaking, a good active one with a reliable transformer will give you a high quality conversion. From there you can decide what sort of flavour you want for your budget.

For example the Rupert Neve DI is expensive, and has a FET gain stage built into it. This is where it's sonic signature comes from.

Something like my cheap Orchid DI doesn't have that. Still sounds good, but has a different sonic signature.
    Thanks.. I am not sure if the magic transformer stuff is over-hyped. I’m tempted by a Pro48 and ProDI for same price as general kit.  My little rig here does not have an instrument input.

i’ll check out the orchid DI.   Good prices.

Thanks.. I am not sure if the magic transformer stuff is over-hyped. I’m tempted by a Pro48 and ProDI for same price as general kit.  My little rig here does not have an instrument input.

My gut feel - and this is based on absolutely nothing at all!! - is that the RNDI would sound like most active DI boxes if it weren't for the FET amplification stage to give it a bit of extra spice.

Bye!

• joeyowen said:
    HIIIIIJACCCCKKKK

I track bass and acoustic into my interface, sometimes direct, and sometimes through my Kemper (split in 2, processed and DI)

Would I benefit from having something like the J48?

For the bass into an interface without an instrument input option is a reason.  I need one as I using my USB mixing desk here and direct bass into a channel is just a little too muffled. 

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    There are many different sonic characteristics from DI boxes. But basically speaking, a good active one with a reliable transformer will give you a high quality conversion. From there you can decide what sort of flavour you want for your budget.

The Orchid stuff is great. I've got a mix of Micro and Classic DIs in my touring kit, and have had their rackmount 8 way unit in touring playback rigs. Brilliant kit, incredibly well priced and hand made in the UK. They do great custom work too. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3597
    edited November 2020
    Got a Radial SB-1 Active,,, Very good. No hesitation recommending.

Would have got an Orchid if sales process was easier,

Thanks.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Got a Radial SB-1 Active,,, Very good. No hesitation recommending.

Would have got an Orchid if sales process was easier,

Thanks.
    Glad you got sorted. Radial kit is bulletproof. 

I get what you mean with Orchid - it's a one man business and I think he's an old school engineering type - the website would definitely benefit from some modernising to oil the wheels of the sales process. Having bought a few bits, I just email directly with what I'm after these days!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Radial J48 here too...works fine.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview