Revisiting old albums on vinyl...

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
I've been increasing the vinyl collection this year and have found a few old albums I enjoyed back in the 80s & 90s. Most were picked up for £5 or less. 

Not all have stood the test of time, or perhaps my ears have moved on. 

It's really interesting listening again now, especially having taken up guitar late in life, I hear lots of different things.

Last couple of days I have received these in the post;

Prince of The Deep Water by The Blessing.
Still strong songs and a sense if the deep south of America. 

Raintown by Deacon Blue
Really accomplished first album, musically and lyrically. 

Also picked up;

Montrose by Montrose
Disappointingly one toned - Sammy Hagar howling.

Clutching at Straws by Marillion
Self indulgencent Fish, but still beautiful.

Rovers Return by John Waite
A few decnet tracks but a little uninspiring.

Genesis by Genesis
It's a Phil Collins album really isn't it. 

Copperhead Road by Steve Earle
Really quite brilliant, gets even better with age. 

Can't Slow Down by Lionel Richie
Absolute masterpiece start to finish.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    edited November 2020
    I'm hoping to start doing a bit of this soon, my vinyl collection is mostly hard rock and metal. However I put on Kick by INXS the other day, what a great record that is, great band and a great frontman in Hutchence. Also rediscovered the greatness that is Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, I've spent too long absorbing Elton via a greatest hits and I forgot how good his full LPs were.

Where did you pick up the vinyl cheap if you don't mind me asking, finding eBay a little overpriced if I'm honest. Thanks  :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7745
    I’m currently listening to The Clown by Charles Mingus, a really nice pressing. 

Wouldn’t have been my thing back in the 80’s, but love it now. 

One album that I can’t play these days is 30 Something by Carter USM.  Good songs, but the electronic drum sounds set my teeth on edge. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Boromedic said:
    I'm hoping to start doing a bit of this soon, my vinyl collection is mostly hard rock and metal. However I put on Kick by INXS the other day, what a great record that is, great band and a great frontman in Hutchence. Also rediscovered the greatness that is Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, I've spent too long absorbing Elton via a greatest hits and I forgot how good his full LPs were.

Where did you pick up the vinyl cheap if you don't mind me asking, finding eBay a little overpriced if I'm honest. Thanks  :)
    I picked up a copy of both GTYBR and Captain Fantastic, both superb albums.

Part of the fun of collecting again (my old collection was ruined when my garage flooded ten years ago) is sourcing vinyl. There are two excellent vinyl stores in my local town of Petersfield, and I also train in the same unit as a large seller on eBay so I give them a list from time to time.

Other than that you can source stuff on Discogs and Gumtree is useful but the postage always kills you. 

• vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited November 2020
    Boromedic said:

Where did you pick up the vinyl cheap if you don't mind me asking, finding eBay a little overpriced if I'm honest. Thanks 
    Discogs is ace. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fuengi said:
    Boromedic said:

Part of the fun of collecting again (my old collection was ruined when my garage flooded ten years ago) is sourcing vinyl. There are two excellent vinyl stores in my local town of Petersfield, and I also train in the same unit as a large seller on eBay so I give them a list from time to time.

Other than that you can source stuff on Discogs and Gumtree is useful but the postage always kills you. 

Yeah they really took their time with those 70s records and Gus Dudgeon's arrangements are superb. 

Thanks for the tips, how much on average are you picking them up for from the stores, everything seems north of £20 on eBay!!

viz said:
    Boromedic said:

Where did you pick up the vinyl cheap if you don't mind me asking, finding eBay a little overpriced if I'm honest. Thanks 
    Discogs is ace. 
    Cheers, I shall take a look!

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Scored this gem recently...

Now all I need is a record player.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Boromedic said:
    Fuengi said:
    Boromedic said:

Yeah they really took their time with those 70s records and Gus Dudgeon's arrangements are superb. 

Thanks for the tips, how much on average are you picking them up for from the stores, everything seems north of £20 on eBay!!
    I paid £9 for an original copy of Captain Fantastic with gatefold sleeve in vg condition and the same for Harvest by Neil Young. 

Most are between £8 - £15 from Vinyl Matters in Petersfield and the chat is free. 
    That's awesome, cheers @Fuengi ;

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    I love the discovery process that comes with shopping for vinyls.

Discogs is great if your jonesin' for something specific.  I love perusing the used record shop when I get the chance (which has been a long time now), seeing what jumps out and finding something that's new to me.  I pretty much refuse to buy new vinyls, though, as CDs are just more convenient and the sound quality is essentially the same.  But finding a vintage vinyl in good condition is a fun experience.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I have to disagree on Montrose, that first album rips your face off. Epic. Such a powerful record.

It is of its time, but it was master of its time. I would have LOVED to see the band live back then ...
    axisus said:
    I have to disagree on Montrose, that first album rips your face off. Epic. Such a powerful record.

It is of its time, but it was master of its time. I would have LOVED to see the band live back then ...
    I used to love it. Bad Motor Scooter is tremendous fun in the car but didn't translate to polite dinner table music! 

Maybe I'll have to crank it up when the Mrs goes out and re-evaluate. 
  • I must be honest, I am starting to get back into my vinyl albums. Part of the reason is when you put an album on as opposed to streaming you get the album out, look at the artwork, and put record on. You don’t skip tracks, you play the whole album the way the artist intended. 
    Artists used to take so much time on song order, that I tend to take more time listening. Not just having it on in the background. It becomes an event. And the artwork and sleeve notes at a size you can see and read. 
    Sound wise, I can’t tell the difference, my ears are not so good, be it CD, vinyl, MD or mp3. But it’s the artwork that I really love, especially the 70s stuff. 
    I must be honest, I am starting to get back into my vinyl albums. Part of the reason is when you put an album on as opposed to streaming you get the album out, look at the artwork, and put record on. You don’t skip tracks, you play the whole album the way the artist intended. 
    Artists used to take so much time on song order, that I tend to take more time listening. Not just having it on in the background. It becomes an event. And the artwork and sleeve notes at a size you can see and read. 
    Sound wise, I can’t tell the difference, my ears are not so good, be it CD, vinyl, MD or mp3. But it’s the artwork that I really love, especially the 70s stuff. 
    I think you're spot on with this.

I've got some fabulous albums with amazing artwork, might post some pics up later. 
    These Tigercats albums are worth the price of admission for just the artwork alone. Fortunately they are also brilliant albums.

And this Public Service Broadcasting artwork is as detailed as the music.