SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sorted: Wanted to buy: OM/ Small jumbo - budget up to around 5000

What's Hot
brianlcoxbrianlcox Frets: 10
edited December 2020 in Acoustics £
I'm looking for a really good 00 / OM / 000 / 0000 / Small Jumbo size guitar. I'm not interested in Dreds, or other guitars braced so heavily that they need to be beat on with a pick in order to sound good. I'm definitely looking for guitars on the lighter and more responsive end of the spectrum. I'm pretty flexible in terms of tone woods.

I'm interested in guitars from both small shops such as Froggy Bottom, Santa Cruz, etc, and also single luthiers. I'd love to try a Circa, Claxton, Sexauer etc too.

Most importantly the guitar must have between 1 3/4" and 1 13/16" nut. Ideally 2 1/4 or 2 5/16" saddle spacing, but I can also make due with 2 3/16" for an otherwise awesome guitar.

My budget is scaleable for the right guitar, but I probably won't spend much more than 5000 GBP.

Seller would have to be willing to ship to Switzerland.

Probably best to contact me directly at: brianlcox@gmail.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Let's bump this back to the top. I'm getting lots of nice options, but the right one hasn't presented itself yet.
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    How about a custom build from Brook Guitars in Devon,  they have lots of small body guitars in their range...
  • FatboylimFatboylim Frets: 14
    edited November 2020
    Such a good size you are looking at. My 00-db all koa is the best fingerstyle Guitar I own. So much more focus than my dreadnought. Although a good mid-sized jumbo gives it a run for it's money, like an OM on steroids. 
  • Thanks for the tips! I've more or less given up finding the right guitar on the used market. I just had the first of a few conversations wiith Michael Millard to figure out the parameters of my custom Froggy Bottom K with wide string spacing and some other goodies.

Feel free to keep contacting me with options, but chances are I will be confirming my order with Froggy Bottom within the week.
  • AqmltdAqmltd Frets: 16
    Suggest you get a nice wee cheapie and spend the rest on a holiday early in the new year. Jus sayin.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    For ready-made I'd say Santa Cruz, they do the lightest acoustics I have played, all very responsive

If you want a custom-made guitar, I'd recommend you phone Avalon, as I did
    I get 46mm nuts when ordering a custom one, which are their widest normal necks, you can get wider, I have a 48mm one too
    They have very low overheads, so even custom made prices are reasonable

My "S" Avalon (small) is about OO size
    Redwood and Ziricote - incredibly responsive, and I don't normally like small acoustics at all

• Thanks for the tips, Gents. I have spent the last three years buying and selling different guitars, and have owned both Santa Cruz and Avalon guitars. For me, Froggy Bottom seems to have what I am looking for. Due to a combination of circumstances, I am in a position to be able to afford a new build (by selling three of my guitars and having worked too much overtime this year)

I think Froggy bottom is the way to go for me.

On the other hand, I am now interested in finding something a bit less expensive to be able to take out to lessons and such. If anyone has an OM or GA type body with 46mm nut width - hit me up! I would want to spend about 1500 GBP on something like this.
  • Totally understand the wide string spacing. I got lucky with mine being 1 13/16 in the 00-DB (H14 shape) guitar and compares well to my other guitars with 1 3/4. Really surprised how little differences affect the feel of playing! 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    Fatboylim said:
    Totally understand the wide string spacing. I got lucky with mine being 1 13/16 in the 00-DB (H14 shape) guitar and compares well to my other guitars with 1 3/4. Really surprised how little differences affect the feel of playing! 
    I have 3 that are 1 7/8 inch, that feels very different!
    Very good for more classical style arrangements, or open tunings where you are leaving open strings ringing amongst high chords
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So I have ordered the custom Froggy Bottom model K, but it won't be here until June 2021. In the meantime I have sold nearly all my other guitars soI have a bit of disposable cash - up to 3000-4000£ to spend on something fun that I could enjoy for a few months and then sell again once the custom comes in.

Looking for an OM or small jumbo from a well known maker - Froggy Bottom, Goodall, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois with at least 1 3/4" nut. Feel free to write here, or to brianlcox@gmail.com
  • https://www.coda-music.com/secondhand/collings-om1.html

Has the desired nut width, OM, in budget!
  • So this has been sorted out. I have bought a Froggy F14 and a BSG J27 CF that will keep me company until summer when the custom Froggy arrives.

thanks to all who reached out.

Brian