Iloud monitors died

So my 18 month old ilouds have died.  

Has anybody had them apart?

In the master speaker the tweeter is not working and the slave is mainly just the tweeter, although moving the link cable at the master speaker can get it working again.

I’m assuming it’s not the cable itself however as the tweeter still doesnt work in the master with the cable removed, so I’m thinking it’s a connection at the plug.

so just wondering if they are easy to work on if anybody has done.   

I always thought the inputs seemed flimsy!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• So managed to make one good speaker, turns out one tweeter was blown so now the master speaker has the tweeter from the slave speaker.   Now I have an iloud mono speaker.  

For the slave speaker (the inotveryloud), I need a replacement tweeter and a replacement speaker jack.

So calling electronics experts @Danny1969 ;  @ICBM ; or anybody that can help.  Does the tweeter and input jack look propriety or off the shelf items?  Or, do you know a uk supplier of IK Multimedia parts in the UK?

I have emailed them in the US but they just referred me to the original retailer.

• 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    I can’t quite tell from the pics but are the pins/pinholes arranged in a square? Or are they wider apart at one side? Looks like a 4pin mini din connector if the pins are wider at one side. 

• 77ric said:
    I can’t quite tell from the pics but are the pins/pinholes arranged in a square? Or are they wider apart at one side? Looks like a 4pin mini din connector if the pins are wider at one side. 

Thanks, I think that's correct and I need one of these:-

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/dc-power-connectors/6677283?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Connectors_Whoop-_-DC+Power+Connectors_Whoop+(2)-_-6677283&matchtype=&pla-475511594806&gclid=CjwKCAiAkan9BRAqEiwAP9X6UfT5fkLnCEROU6IeBY2DHAh4_1r1OUoIxoOujYZgPeaO3OE8wPB3RxoCQwAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    edited November 2020
    I’m not familiar with the ilouds design but could you wire the replacement socket to the PCB and not mount it directly using one of these which you could attach the the case for a sturdier connection. 

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    The connector is pretty standard but sorry no idea about the tweeter. Generally you want an exact match so each speaker sounds the same. Matching an unknown OEM driver will be tricky. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    In Europe you need to contact:

IK Multimedia Production srl
    Via dell’Industria, 46
    41122 Modena
    ITALY
    Phone: +39 059 285496
    Fax: +39 059 2861671

They were helpful when I had a problem with my iLouds - turned out to be the link cable.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    In Europe you need to contact:

IK Multimedia Production srl
    Via dell’Industria, 46
    41122 Modena
    ITALY
    Phone: +39 059 285496
    Fax: +39 059 2861671

They were helpful when I had a problem with my iLouds - turned out to be the link cable.

Thanks, will give them a try.  Not getting any help with their support email address.  Did you just phone them?

Definitely tweeter in mine, measuring open circuit. 

• Turns out they don’t sell spare parts, other than the link cable.  So if there’s another issue like a tweeter you have to send them to Italy to be repaired.

I think next monitors I’ll choose by availability of spare parts and serviceability.....
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited November 2020
    These cost £103 and are excellent active monitors..

Behringer Studio 50USB

Behringer Studio 50USB

You would have to try really hard  to blow these.