NGD: Fender CS Relic Strat content

What's Hot
fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5048
edited April 2021 in Guitar
As some will know I’ve been looking for absolutely ages for a nice Fender Custom Shop Relic Strat, that meets certain criteria such as a 9.5” radius, big frets, in a decent colour, not too heavy and not too expensive. Well I’ve finally snagged one that might do me for a while.

It’s a 2017 limited edition ‘59 Strat Journeyman Relic in aged Olympic White, with a heavily flamed ‘59 C shaped maple neck, AAA dark rosewood board, 9.5” radius and jumbo frets. The pickups are handwound Ancho Poblanos, with the middle pickup RWRP, and the controls are master volume with tone-saver bleed, master tone with Greasebucket tone circuit, and the third knob does bridge/neck pickup blend. According to Fender there was a limited edition of 75 in this colour. I got it off Reverb from a nice chap who had bought it new from Peach.

The pickups sound great and it plays really well after a few tweaks to the action. I’ve never had a CS guitar with a ‘59 neck profile before but I really like it - it’s a comfortable medium-sized handful at the 1st fret, fattening up to pretty chunky at the 12th fret. The tone circuit and blend options are also new to me but I think they provide some nice sounds, with the Anchos giving a bit more oomph than more vintage-style Strat pickups. The Journeyman Relic finish is pretty cool too, with lots of checking and a few small dings but no belt-sander work. The guitar weighs 7lb 7.5oz - or 3.39kg for the more metrically aligned among you. Here’s some pics.

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm off the sound of Strats completely but it sure looks nice.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    That's a keeper, check out that neck!
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9315
    Oooph that neck. Great find, Nigel.
  • Gorgeous!
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1085
    Flame on the neck my goodness! Health to enjoy!
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Be prepared for plenty of detailed questions when this hits the classifieds...  ;)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Congrats...veeery nice. Enjoy.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Nice find Nigel
  • DanDan Frets: 441
    edited November 2020
    That looks sublime, congrats! That neck though! Great weight too. Glad you found something.  

Still got mine/yours/mine again strat. Loving it. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    Enjoy the Strat - I like the Ancho's but often with the vol pot knocked back a touch, especially with less gain on the amp, so as to be more cultured and less 'hot' - And again prefer the slightly larger neck, compared to the 790/930 classic profile - The blend pot I can take/leave, but then again I don't mind the simple m/vol + m/tone option with this wiring loom - Enjoy - Best wishes 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • You did well with this one, enjoy and I hope it's the keeperyou're after!
  • SRD81SRD81 Frets: 310
    Looks a cracker and very cool spec too - enjoy
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Lovely guitar!

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Lovely. Too light for me though!

Enjoy.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    fretfinder said: It weighs 7lb 7.5oz. 

Christ, what a boat anchor.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Man that is up there with some of the most perfect looking guitars I have ever seen!

Classic combo, very tasteful reliccing.
  • Nice photos Nigel !

I'm so pleased you got there in the end... I have found too that sometimes the search takes years.
  • HysterHyster Frets: 208
    That looks amazing.
  • GazMozGazMoz Frets: 26
    Nice spec! I like big frets, big necks and Poblano's
  • Thanks for the comments guys, wisdoms awarded. It is a cracker and I can’t wait for the chance to play it loud with the band. Unfortunately I suspect it will be a fair while before that can happen. Meanwhile here’s to GAS and more GAS to keep us going!  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom