Chords in position (Sound familiar?)

What's Hot
Hi All

Like many guitarists I speak to, I picked up a guitar in my teenage years and spent hours and hours practicing in the bedroom and achieving a whole load of progress in terms of technique, knowledge and application of theory (read: scales, modes, progressions etc) in the first two or so years. I ate, slept and breathed guitar. I then made the dangerous discovery that I could 'get by' playing pubs and clubs in covers and original bands with very little else than I had already learnt. 

Fast forward 15 or so years; a music degree; full-time job; mortgage; marriage; kids; gigging hundreds of weddings, functions and rounds of Brown-eyed girl's at the Dog and Duck; I can't really claim to be much better than in I was 2005. Back then playing was my favourite thing in the world. It is no longer number one, but most definitely still near the top.

Discussion

I am trying to gap fill. Like many others where practice time is sporadic and limited, I am lost in a world of possibilities. What I am looking for is a method/resource/set of videos that I can go straight to when I have opportunity to practice that will effectively help me with embedding the ability to play any chord in any position and drill me on that. Hundreds of books and videos have been dedicated to this, and the point of this discussion really is that there are too many and I get distracted by the next video and the next video. I am looking for the thing that has helped you with this the most. I know the best answer here is a local teacher but recent times apart, I cannot commit to regular lessons in the way that teachers want.

I imagine there is something somewhere where I can select a key and a position, and it will randomly flash up a chord for me to find in some time-limited way. There is hundreds (not all good we assume) of books/methods/videos on the subject. Help!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8696
    edited November 2020
    Or you could do it yourself, without videos.

Step 1. Take a song you know, and challenge yourself to play it in different barred positions. It’s going to mean using other chord shapes. E and A shapes are easy to barre. The C shape takes a little practice. The G shape is possible with a lot more practice, but in my experience never gels well. The D shape introduces you to using partial chords.

Step 2. Take the same song, and minimise the left hand movement between barre positions by playing partial chords. For example, you’re playing Am barred at the 5th and the next chord is:
    E. Rather than barre the A shape at the 5th fret use x7675x.
    G. use x5578x, which is a partial D shape. It doesn’t work in all songs, but stands out where it does work.

Rinse and repeat with other songs.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Learning the major and minor triad shapes on all string sets is a very good start. 

Four string sets x three inversions x Major/Minor = 24 shapes. But two of the string sets are identical so you only have to learn 18. This still sounds scary but really isn’t because they’re just pieces of the CAGED barre chords that you already know.

Maybe you know this stuff already, it’s not clear. But if you don’t I can’t think of anything more worthwhile. 
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    I feel like this is a blend of:

1. CAGED,

2. the major and minor (including 7ths) on all string sets (as @DesWalker said),

3. voice leading using chord inversion patterns, really get to know where the major/minor 3rd is for every shape,

4. as 1-3 settle in, maybe visit some jazz concepts/scales and introduce 9s, flat 9s, etc,

5. as a technique, I've found that practicing little pick sweeps in conjunction with playing different major/minor/7/9 triads at different parts of the fretboard to be very helpful for both my fretboard knowledge and pick control.  If not pick sweeps, then finger picking.
  • I’m not sure if you’re after the ability to build them yourself anywhere or some inspirational new voicings,if it’s the former that needs a sit down and a beer if it’s the latter Chord Chemistry by Ted Greene. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14195
    tFB Trader
    @doddsie_105 - A familiar question for many and part of me will say depends how much studying you want to do - Might also depend on the songs you play and the line up of the band, as some songs don't have space for such embellishments

However a couple of easy points IMO - I find if I can come across one new simple idea that I can bring into play immediately and still remember it tomorrow, then I'm happy and see that as progress - But if I have to study to 'split the atom' then I'm not interested - As a big overview inversions are better to work with when played in triads

I found a Robben Ford DVD called 'the art of blues rhythm' very useful - Think a large part of this might be free on youtube now - Doesn't just apply to blues in the way he uses it - I still only use a part of what he teaches - Essentially you break the power chord down to a 2 string or 3 string chord - He will for instance play say a form of an A7 triad in 4/5/6 positions on say the EBG strings, then BGD etc to end up on EAD - then do this in all keys - Flashy and talented + time available to perfect - I just use part of it 

I think it doesn't take to long, if you work on triads, to find many embellishments, on your own - But even type into google something like guitar chord triad inversions and you'll find a few useful free tutorials

Something easy for now - EBG strings only - All a form of an E7 or derivative off

E   2     4    7    9    10    12    
    B   3     5    7    9    12    14
    G   4     6    7    9    11    13

Now add an open E and a single note at 5 on the top E string and you can effectively melodic scale up the neck with those inversions - then try to slide into the chord from below etc - I'm not even sure what all the actual chords are called - But in swing, jazz,blues, they can all effectively work as required - Be careful if playing these over an other guitarist who stays on say E7 as a big power chord - But more just a taster of what can work 

similar in G on the lower strings - don't use the A string - all below are effectively a G7

E    3    7    10
    D    3    5    9
    G    4    7    10

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3528
    Sadly, no short cuts.

1) learn all your notes on the guitar, every string. Reading exercises in position help with this

2) knowing as you obviously do how triads are constructed, go up and down (at least) the top two string sets playing through chord scales, using a) root position triads then b) 1st inversion then c) 2nd inversion. Know which note is root, third, fifth

3) voice lead through chord scales in position, utilising different inversions to facilitate this.

Rinse and repeat for seventh chords, eventually. Understand, additionally, how triads make up parts of other chords e.g. Dm7 = F/D, etc. This is really useful in a band situation. 

But yeah, stick to triads for a year or two. There's an amazing amount of mileage that can be gotten from them if you know what you are doing.

'Embedding ability' is done by repetition. Be slow and methodical. 

I imagine if you have done a music degree and played in bands, much of this stuff is in there and just needs reorganising and refreshing.