Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Elvis Costello

What's Hot

Comments

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1930
    I've got a couple of Springsteen albums but never listen to them. Never really clicked with me that cowboy rock thing. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20 said:
    I've got a couple of Springsteen albums but never listen to them. Never really clicked with me that cowboy rock thing. 

Cowboy??? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Devil#20 said:

Cowboy??? 
    Lol I was waiting for that.  The guy's from New Jersey and sings about factory work, relationships, bad weather, etc with a bunch of saxophone and piano accompaniment.
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Another fan here but it might be worth checking out Graham Parker's back catalogue for a more direct comparison. Parker is, arguably, a more refined version of EC and, as good as The Attractions were, The Rumour a more accomplished backing band - although I think Steve Goulding  may have played with EC at some point.

The Squeezing Out Sparks album should be enough to tell you if you want to explore further.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • A great EC fact is the backing band on 'My Aim is true' was a version of the news minus Huey Lewis. 

A good friend of mine is his TM, so I got quite a few items of his US tour rig a few years ago including the amp he used as Woodstock 94. Hes a great guy, and still exceptional live. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The other person who comes to mind is Nick Lowe - he made that transition from pub rock to new wave(ish), produced and wrote with Costello and Parker and is still going. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    Being interviewed today at 2pm on R5Live. 
  • Cranky said:
    Devil#20 said:

Cowboy??? 
    Lol I was waiting for that.  The guy's from New Jersey and sings about factory work, relationships, bad weather, etc with a bunch of saxophone and piano accompaniment.

And roads, he likes to sing about roads.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:
    Just heard the first half of that. It was recorded a little while ago so no reactions to very current events as such ( I think Elvis would have opinions!) but not a bad interview so far. Elvis has his new album out so it's promoting that. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12340
    I like EC but am more into Springsteen particularly like the ghost of tom joad/nebraska style stuff and blood brothers plus the hits.  Just hits the dirgy haunted self loathing notes I am always drawn to.
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Cranky said:
    Devil#20 said:

Cowboy??? 

And roads, he likes to sing about roads.
    Cars and Girls.....as Prefab Sprout sang
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Brucie's thoughts, Pretty streamers
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    scrumhalf said:
    Just heard the first half of that. It was recorded a little while ago so no reactions to very current events as such ( I think Elvis would have opinions!) but not a bad interview so far. Elvis has his new album out so it's promoting that. 
    I heard some of it. He's a likeable guy.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I like Springsteen's songs more but EC is someone I've a lot of respect for.
    There's an ancient film of him on tour with a load of other bands, punk era, he's gotta be about 20, backstage dressing room scene, and the other guys are being drunken, sexist rock n roll wankers.  (I can't judge.  It was a scene of its time and I'd have likely been with them.)  But Costello is clearly not enjoying it. Even thought he's physically with everyone it's as if he's sitting with an invisible force field about him, apart, and able to see that this is not how women should be treated. 
  • Philly_Q said:
    scrumhalf said:
    I heard some of it. He's a likeable guy.
    Yes, very thoughtful but not pretentious. Second half of the interview didn't add as much. 

I have read his memoir ( mentioned in the interview and above on here as well) which is rather rambling and in need of a severe edit as I recall it but some nice stories and a real love of music. 
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Grunfeld said:
    There's an ancient film of him on tour with a load of other bands, punk era, he's gotta be about 20, backstage dressing room scene, and the other guys are being drunken, sexist rock n roll wankers.  (I can't judge.  It was a scene of its time and I'd have likely been with them.)  But Costello is clearly not enjoying it. Even thought he's physically with everyone it's as if he's sitting with an invisible force field about him, apart, and able to see that this is not how women should be treated. 
    That’s the film of the Stiff label tour fro around ’78.....great performance by EC , it was on Prime for a bit and may still be available 
  • Koa said:
    Grunfeld said:
    That’s the film of the Stiff label tour fro around ’78.....great performance by EC , it was on Prime for a bit and may still be available 
    Yes, it's on there. Just sat through the opening credits that play over Watching the Detectives. Very grainy bit of film, made before the invention of hair conditioner. 
  • Elvis Costello is one of these guys who I respect but who I never really "got". I've tried a few times but it's just not my thing. 
  • I liked some of his early stuff like, can’t stand up, pump it up, Angels wanna wear my red shoes, 
    but another guy similar in style was John Hiatt, his album Riding with the King was very Costello like, but he changed quite a bit over the years. But his Album Bring the family, IMHO is a complete masterpiece in songwriting and arranging of a 4pc band. 
    Hiatt, like Costello, Springsteen and even Dylan can grate a bit if you like smoother more orthodox vocals.