Guitar hanging location

What's Hot
I have just had an extension built with two big velux windows, a big window on one end and one side has patio doors with narrow windows either side. It is a south-facing room so gets plenty of sunshine in the daytime.

I would like to hang a guitar in there but the only place would be on the wall opposite the patio doors and velux windows. Is is a bad idea to have a guitar hanging in direct line of the windows? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13932
    edited November 2020
    I would say yes, not a good idea to have direct sun shining on a guitar, especially an acoustic. We're south facing and on a sunny day the heat through the windows can be fierce. I wouldn't want to put an acoustic guitar in line of that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11867
    the sun hits different walls through the year
    you need to avoid sun hitting the guitar
    also not above a radiator, or near an often-open window
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks - I thought as much but reassured to hear it too. Shame as I would have wanted to have a guitar in there. I could have one on a stand in a corner but with young children it's not such a good idea!
  • It's pretty much how I bellied the top of a L'Arrivee in 2012 - three months in a sunny room on a stand in direct sunlight for a few hours a day. It still hasn't settled down, but I have the bridge lowered so it plays well enough, just no longer sings or projects as well as it used to. 

Don't do it! 
  • My main audio listening room is south facing with wall to wall large patio doors.
    It can get so hot in summer I don’t use it even with black Venetian blinds and black voils to keep the sun out.
    I wouldn’t hang any of my guitars in there because of temperatures and light.
    I do have a couple in rotation on floor stands out of the light but never the summer.
    Its one of the reasons I’ve built a studio in another room that’s north facing to keep my guitars in.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11867
    Mudcrutch said:
    My main audio listening room is south facing with wall to wall large patio doors.
    It can get so hot in summer I don’t use it even with black Venetian blinds and black voils to keep the sun out.
    I wouldn’t hang any of my guitars in there because of temperatures and light.
    I do have a couple in rotation on floor stands out of the light but never the summer.
    Its one of the reasons I’ve built a studio in another room that’s north facing to keep my guitars in.

you need to shelter the windows with screens or a canopy