Odd recommendation

What's Hot
My cousin called today to talk guitars as he started learning the guitar at the same time as I did. He was buying a a Yamaha A5 ARE based on a demo. He told me that he has actually purchased an Epiphone D500 Masterbuilt instead based on the shop owners recommendation. He knows this chap through a mutual friend. Apparently the vendor said that the A5 was probably better if he were playing live or recording as he was mainly playing at home, he would be better with something like the LL16 or even the Epiphone if he wanted very good quality and a better unplugged experience. He would have had to order any of the in but my cousin decided the would go with the Epiphone. I think it cost exactly half of the price of the A5 and a couple of hundred less than the L16. 
I've not heard any of these but was surprised that the A5 wasn't what he came away with.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• When searching about a year ago, I found the A5 to be a bit big and flabby in the bass. I much preferred the tighter sound of the A3CR, and that's what I have now. It's a lovely guitar at a sensible price even if made in China.

I've also played the LL6 and it's another lovely guitar but it didn't come in a cutaway.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    never played an epiphone acoustic so can't comment one way or another on that, but with all acoustics I think it's imperative to play the actual guitar, don't matter if it's a £200 started or a £2000 high end model. I've played high end acoustics that I wouldn't pay £15 for at a car boot, they were that bad.
    So, going back to the OP, just because a shop has recommended a guitar, and ordered it in, your cousin should not be under any compulsion to buy unless he actually likes the thing.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Trouble is, when you’re starting out it’s hard to tell good from bad. Not saying he made a bad choice. I remember being heavily influenced by opinion until I worked out the sound I like. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    I've not tried any of the Epiphone acoustics but I recall that Russ Barenberg played an Epi J45 Masterbuilt on the Transatlantic Sessions even though he has a cupboard full of vintage Gibson acoustics. The Epi sounded really good on those sessions to my ear.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    You are paying a lot for the electronics in that Yamaha.  If I was spending that kind of money, I'd look around for a Furch.
  • Shop owner did him a favour I reckon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought an Epiphone Masterbilt DR 500 MCE a few months back and its an excellent guitar. Made in Indonesia but is an excellent guitar for around the £500 I paid for it new. Sounds good acoustically and excellent plugged in too. I commend the choice as I spent a while searching for a guitar in this range and plumped for this. The biggest minus for me is that I think the fretboard is slightly narrower than the Squier Fender everyday acoustic I already have as I have slightly thicker fingers,not long fingers,just a little wider than normal. 
  • Never played any of them myself, but I'd be amazed if any of them turned out to be 'wrong.' All of the guitars mentioned in the original post are excellent for the money, so if your pal prefers the Epiphone, he's got a very good guitar.

If he's happy with it, he's got what he wants, to be fair.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • Well he tried them but the Yamaha was a L6 not an L16 they also added a Taylor  and said plugged in the A5 was very nice and if we was mainly plugged in he would have considered it. However he was blown away by the Epiphone and came away with it, I am quite taken aback as he is a bit of a label man and usually would have the name as a deciding factor. He was adamant that the Epiphone was so easy to play too.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1204
    Jimbro66 said:
    I've not tried any of the Epiphone acoustics but I recall that Russ Barenberg played an Epi J45 Masterbuilt on the Transatlantic Sessions even though he has a cupboard full of vintage Gibson acoustics. The Epi sounded really good on those sessions to my ear.
    Sounds pretty good to me too!

• KDSKDS Frets: 221
    edited November 2020
    Basher said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Sounds pretty good to me too!

That’s really good. Epi sounds great, which is surprising bearing in mind I’m listening on an iphone. Best ever acoustic sound I ever heard was Wizz Jones in small cafe with a epi Texan 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    That whole performance is outstanding. Taking nothing away from the epi, that guy could make many things sound good
    Coated strings me thinks. Completely don’t like the tone. Sounds Piezo-ish