IPASOY Mixing Challenge

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
edited November 2020 in Making Music
On to the next one chaps..

Recorded for the latest Cover Challenge. I Put A Spell On You from Dirty Snake Mouth.

https://soundcloud.com/dirtysnakemouth/i-put-a-spell-on-you-dirty-snake-mouth

This is about getting a good mix from what is available, so no "re-recording parts" but feel free to use or not use all of the tracks available... feel free to use drum replacement etc....

Just a small tip... You may or may not have to flip the phase on some of the mics

If you want to join the fun, send me a DM and I will provide you with a link to the raw tracks.

Differing from the previous comps... this time bounce your track as a WAV and use WETRANSFER to send it to mix@thefretboard.co.uk 

I will create a playlist where the WAV files can be downloaded for comparison...

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline of 11th Dec 2020 with each voter selecting 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends. If there are 8 or more entries, then the order and scores of those in the top half will be announced.  

As people submit their entries, I'll post them in a playlist below. Hopefully we can share tips and tricks on how the mix was achieved. 

*****UPDATE***** MASTER YOUR TRACK TO AS CLOSE TO -14 LUFS... That way we can all listen to everything at roughly the same volume
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• @poopot I am game again
    “Ken sent me.”
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    Great, please add me.

Should we aim for a particular LUFS level too?
    How about +/-0.5dB of 0 for Spotify on https://www.loudnesspenalty.com/ ?

It would be nice to have entries level matched(ish)...?
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    How you master is up to yourself... I normally make sure I mix with at least 3db of headroom on the stereo out... 

we can save the mastering for another challenge... :)
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    I just thought it would make the "louder sounds better" aspect less of an issue but it's your competition :)
    oaf said:
    I just thought it would make the "louder sounds better" aspect less of an issue but it's your competition :)
    Because the tracks get sent to me I always import them into logic and balance the levels when I listen before I vote.

hopefully this time round, when I make the wavs available everyone can do similar and judge the un soundclouded files...

the loudness aspect should be null and void this time...
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I'm in again too please.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    As you know I’m a bit bored of this song hence my not doing the cover challenge this time ... but ... that is superb!

The vocals are great, the solo is like Jo Bo when he was still good and that’s cracking dynamic mix. To all involved (whomsoever you may be) that’s some top work!! 
    edited November 2020
    Bezzer said:
    As you know I’m a bit bored of this song hence my not doing the cover challenge this time ... but ... that is superb!

The vocals are great, the solo is like Jo Bo when he was still good and that’s cracking dynamic mix. To all involved (whomsoever you may be) that’s some top work!! 
    Fanks
    @dainty did the face melting stuff
    molly did the wurds
    charlie did the bass banjo
    I did the remainder... guitars, drums and samples!...

sending you the tracks now

edit... it’s a straight cover of the Annie Lenox version but hey,  “if it ain’t broke add more guitar”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Right... a slight update to the rules...

*****UPDATE***** MASTER YOUR TRACK TO AS CLOSE TO -14 LUFS integrated... That way we can all listen to everything at roughly the same volume
    edited November 2020
    As a tip if you're not sure about LUFS as Mr Pot mentions (because god knows I wasn't until recently) grab the Youlean Loudness Meter 2.  Its free (or there is a free version of it), stick it as the last item on your mastering bus and you can check all sorts of levels. Really handy.

EDIT : https://youlean.co/youlean-loudness-meter/  ;

Bosh
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2411
    edited November 2020
    Nice vocal!

In case anyone's never heard it, here's an equally amazing version:

Submitted!

I could've spent a lot longer on this getting things "just so" but it didn't seem to fit the vibe.  Have deliberately not gone super-wide on this one.  Aimed for clean and classic, probably missed the mark massively :)
    Bezzer in the list along with the original mix.

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/ipasoy-mix-challenge

You should be able to download the WAV files from soundcloud
    The original mix is hotter than the -14lufs but its not to be included in the vote so it matters not :)
  • I’ll have a try again. 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Came back here for the Youlean LUFs link, stayed for the Soundcloud downloads, I didn't know I could DL from Soundcloud without being a subscriber-so that's good.
    I'm half way through the mix, so I don't think I will let it influence me anyway, great track.
    Confused ... @poopot why is the original mix, and @dainty ‘s mix at a significant bpm and pitch difference to the files what;

Doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things ... just so long as folks know I didn’t run through a slow downererer 
    Bezzer said:
    Confused ... @poopot why is the original mix, and @dainty ‘s mix at a significant bpm and pitch difference to the files what;

Doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things ... just so long as folks know I didn’t run through a slow downererer 
    I’m not sure!... I thought that was intentional on your part!.

should be 58bpm... the original mix is correct, dainty had the same Dropbox link as yourself...

Does anyone else have an issue? :/
    It is at 58bpm mine :-) well it ties up really nicely so assumed the case. 

Definitely not something I’ve done. How odd! 
    Bezzer said:
    It is at 58bpm mine :-) well it ties up really nicely so assumed the case. 

Definitely not something I’ve done. How odd! 
    Ive just tried importing the files into logic at different rates and different bpm in the project... I cant get it to replicate what yours has done... Im confused by this...