Cubase 11 launched

What's Hot

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Bugger - Just upgraded from 10 to 10.5, they are a bit cheeky with their upgrade pricing, one of the reasons I'm considering a move to Logic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    John_A said:
    Bugger - Just upgraded from 10 to 10.5, they are a bit cheeky with their upgrade pricing, one of the reasons I'm considering a move to Logic

If you got the special 10.5 upgrade price of around £50 then you're not really being penalised. The upgrade from 10.5 to 11 is £85 and from 10 to 11 it's £136.

You just have to work out whether the upgrade adds anything. I usually wait as the price comes down after the initial launch.

• Hmm, those who bought the Steinberg/Cubase/Helix Native bundle got 10.5 also, seems odd they wouldn't have waited to release it with the new software rather than getting people to shell out then immediately offering an upgrade
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Nothing really in there that would make me go "OOO!! I wanna switch to Cubase!" or anything like that.

Bye!

Hmm, those who bought the Steinberg/Cubase/Helix Native bundle got 10.5 also, seems odd they wouldn't have waited to release it with the new software rather than getting people to shell out then immediately offering an upgrade

If you are new to Cubase there's always a grace period so, for example, if someone bought the bundle last month they'd be entitled to a free upgrade to 11.

Nothing really in there that would make me go "OOO!! I wanna switch to Cubase!" or anything like that.

That's fair enough - most of the updates these days are requests from existing customers. I've invested too much time in Cubase since the 1990s to be arsed to learn something new. I get other people who may feel the same way or may look at another product and prefer the workflow or feature set.

I have no idea how Cubase compares to other products as I haven't used anything else.

• Fretwired said:
    Hmm, those who bought the Steinberg/Cubase/Helix Native bundle got 10.5 also, seems odd they wouldn't have waited to release it with the new software rather than getting people to shell out then immediately offering an upgrade

If you are new to Cubase there's always a grace period so, for example, if someone bought the bundle last month they'd be entitled to a free upgrade to 11.
    Ohh right ok cool that's actually pretty good then

I use Cubase, but only version 8 (elements) as I'm a cheapskate. I never tend to understand the new features so I suppose my opinion is moot really
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    Nothing really in there that would make me go "OOO!! I wanna switch to Cubase!" or anything like that.
    I'm already using 10.5 and, at first glance, there's nothing there to tempt me to upgrade.  I'll read the Sound on Sound review when it comes out to see if there are any features in there which will make my life complete but, at this time, the £50 is safe in my pocket.

• lentolento Frets: 116
    ...and whether you want to wait till the bugs are ironed out ;)

One new feature (well, new for Cubase) is a take on what Izotope do in RX8. Removing the vox is pretty impressive in the video .....
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Nothing I'm really finding tempting in V11, but like the previous 10 versions, I'll buy the upgrade, it will be a ball ache to install, I'll vow never to buy Steinberg products again, I won't use it, a new version will get released and I'll buy it. 

Rinse and repeat. 
    Lodious said:
    Nothing I'm really finding tempting in V11, but like the previous 10 versions, I'll buy the upgrade, it will be a ball ache to install, I'll vow never to buy Steinberg products again, I won't use it, a new version will get released and I'll buy it. 

Rinse and repeat. 

Use the auto-installer APP and do an automatic fresh install. It will leave the previous version which will function. When you're happy 11 is OK you can delete 10.5.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I don't really understand why people use Cubase.
    Nuendo is a bit more expensive but it is the stable product.
    I think of Cubase as Steinberg's beta program for users.
    I moved to Nuendo about a year ago and it is much more stable.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:

TBH I've haven't a serious issue with Cubase since v.9.0 came out. Most of what I see on the forums are RTFM errors - that said the USB dongle drives me mad. Why can they just copy Native Instruments and iZotope with licence keys on systems.

edited November 2020
    octatonic said:

And just to prove my point about the dongle Steinberg e-License servers are down. Lots of users frustrated and it looks like this is serious ..

Whatever you do don't try and upgrade until the servers are back as your previous installation will stop working.

Time for Steinberg to bin it.

• BodBod Frets: 1286
    I sold my Cubase licence about 6 months ago after moving to Studio One.  I got so sick and tired of having to pay to upgrade to fix bugs.  They seem more interested in developing and selling their next big release than making existing customers happy. 
  • Fretwired said:
    octatonic said:

And just to prove my point about the dongle Steinberg e-License servers are down. Lots of users frustrated and it looks like this is serious ..

Whatever you do don't try and upgrade until the servers are back as your previous installation will stop working.

Time for Steinberg to bin it.
    Their industry NFR's are well annoying. First you need a special red dongle, which are harder to get than a wife, and then you get codes that expire every 2 months making you feel like you're continually having to resuscitate said wife, who happens to be made of latex.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've noticed the Studio EQ VST plug in has disappeared from my lowly Elements 8 even though it was definitely there before as I've used it frequently, apparently it's £25 to upgrade to Elements 11  (which supposedly includes it) but I've read through the website page and can't really see anything that is different, though I suppose that's going to be more noticeable in the proper versions rather than the toddlers' version I use.

Might be the price I have to pay to get that plug in back though - I know there are likely other EQ plugins I can get elsewhere, however I would like to get my settings that I've used before as I often copy and paste them for the same instruments in new projects which I can't even do now it's vanished. tried reinstalling, uninstalling etc.

Trouble is, I've only ever learnt Cubase so learning to use other stuff like Reaper or Cakewalk I found incredibly difficult to pick up. I mean, I get annoyed with Cubase and have to uninstall it (or the elicenser software) every few months and reinstall it just for it to work, but I just can't get my head around how the others work and don't have weeks to sit there reading the manuals.

on the plus side, Elements doesn't use a USB for the license, you just have it on the software
    I've noticed the Studio EQ VST plug in has disappeared from my lowly Elements 8 even though it was definitely there before as I've used it frequently, apparently it's £25 to upgrade to Elements 11  (which supposedly includes it) but I've read through the website page and can't really see anything that is different, though I suppose that's going to be more noticeable in the proper versions rather than the toddlers' version I use.

Might be the price I have to pay to get that plug in back though - I know there are likely other EQ plugins I can get elsewhere, however I would like to get my settings that I've used before as I often copy and paste them for the same instruments in new projects which I can't even do now it's vanished. tried reinstalling, uninstalling etc.

Trouble is, I've only ever learnt Cubase so learning to use other stuff like Reaper or Cakewalk I found incredibly difficult to pick up. I mean, I get annoyed with Cubase and have to uninstall it (or the elicenser software) every few months and reinstall it just for it to work, but I just can't get my head around how the others work and don't have weeks to sit there reading the manuals.

on the plus side, Elements doesn't use a USB for the license, you just have it on the software

You'll see major improvements in Elements 11. It will have a new interface, resizeable windows, and an improved channel strip.

• Hmm. The existing interface is fine by me I think, I don't use the channel strips either (only noticed them a month or so ago in fact) and have never had any issue with the size of windows to be honest - I only use a tiny laptop screen so making stuff bigger is pretty futile. It's only £25 to upgrade, but on the face of it that's basically £25 to pay for a plug in that I used to have included anyway, which seems a waste really.

I guess the improvements are more noticeable in the fuller fat versions rather than people like me using the toddler's version to record 2 vocal tracks, 2 guitar tracks, and Kontakt player
    I've noticed the Studio EQ VST plug in has disappeared from my lowly Elements 8 even though it was definitely there before as I've used it frequently, apparently it's £25 to upgrade to Elements 11  (which supposedly includes it) but I've read through the website page and can't really see anything that is different, though I suppose that's going to be more noticeable in the proper versions rather than the toddlers' version I use.

There's a Studio EQ in the channel strip ...