Terje Rypdal

jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
Terje Rypdal has a new CD out - it's on Spotify - quite short - mostly dreamy stuff.
But then I found this -

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Terje Rypdal - yes!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Trio, with passers-by

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I've been a fan for years .. have loads of his albums. He is unique.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    I bought an album in the late 80s. Wasn't that keen to be honest, one track sounded like an EVH tapping rip off, most of the rest forgettable. One track was slow and beautiful. Decided not for me. 

I put on that live video first thing today. After 30 mins I'd had enough. Still not for me I guess!

Just looked up, the album was the singles collection, I think the track I liked was Mystery man?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    axisus said:
    I bought an album in the late 80s. Wasn't that keen to be honest, one track sounded like an EVH tapping rip off, most of the rest forgettable. One track was slow and beautiful. Decided not for me. 

I put on that live video first thing today. After 30 mins I'd had enough. Still not for me I guess!

Just looked up, the album was the singles collection, I think the track I liked was Mystery man?

Except he was tapping before EVH ... :-)

I understand though .. he is like Marmite. You either like him or hate him.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited November 2020
    Think "Man Of Mystery" - aka "Mystery Man" - was used as a film theme? Heat?
    Love his guitar playing. Unique, as Fretwired says....not so keen on the classical side but his dad was a composer.
    The concert I linked to aboove is 2018; he's past 70 now.  I'd still love to see him live.

The guitarist Hedvig Mellestad (great stuff - who I found out about on here) is influenced by him IMO..

• MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    edited November 2020
    jdgm said:
    Terje Rypdal has a new CD out - it's on Spotify - quite short - mostly dreamy stuff.

Thanks for the heads up, listening right now! Been a big Rypdal fan since the seventies and this is right up that alley. Love the melancholy soundscapes he paints.