Please recommend a acoustic guitar.

What's Hot
JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
I have a nephew who ls currently using a Takamine acoustic he says its tiny. Hes grown now from when he got it. Hes 15  and can manage a full size guitar.. He wants to upgrade but nothing too expensive. He lives in Jersey and is limited for testing gear etc. Anyone recommend a decent acoustic  Please. It is for a Christmas present and his mum needs to order soon. (I suggested the full sized version of the one he already has?.t hes had lessons and can play. Much appreciate any help. Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3681
    Got a budget in mind?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12335
    I took my 15 year old daughter to PMT last summer and we tried all the acoustics under £300, this on sounded the best of what they had by a reasonable margin:

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/washburn-harvest-series-wd7s-atbm-tobacco-sunburst-acoustic
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    drofluf said:
    Got a budget in mind?
    Budget would be around £200. I was looking at the Harley Benton on Thomman site they have some for around £185.Any views on them anyone?
    munckee said:
    I took my 15 year old daughter to PMT last summer and we tried all the acoustics under £300, this on sounded the best of what they had by a reasonable margin:

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/washburn-harvest-series-wd7s-atbm-tobacco-sunburst-acoustic
    Thanks Mate. One to consider maybe..
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5409
    edited November 2020
    When the budget is low I always suggest Yamaha first, simply because they have completely mastered the art of building a great entry-level instrument - they have a few that you can afford at that price, compare and contrast specs and YouTube demos etc and see what you (well, your nephew) might like best. Would highly recommend buying from a place that will check it over and do a setup before shipping it out too if possible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Whitecat said:
    When the budget is low I always suggest Yamaha first, simply because they have completely mastered the art of building a great entry-level instrument - they have a few that you can afford at that price, compare and contrast specs and YouTube demos etc and see what you (well, your nephew) might like best. Would highly recommend buying from a place that will check it over and do a setup before shipping it out too if possible.
    Completely this 
    Andy79 said:
    Whitecat said:
    Completely this 
    I bought the Yamaha Fg420l (im a Lefty) 25 years ago from Rushworths in liverpool. It cost £250 though the right hands were only £200.  Still got it and had no issues. I assumed Yamaha would be too expensive. Had a look on Thoman and they do have some there in the £150-£250 range so i will point them in that Direction. Thanks very much for all your help with this. Much appreciated.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    JAYJO said:

Budget would be around £200.
    Vintage V300. [/stuck record]

Small-ish body midway between a 'parlour' and an OM, but full (25.5") scale length. It's not just a good guitar for £200, it's a good guitar.

I personally prefer the mahogany-top version (I've got one) but they do a spruce one if you want something more conventional. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18716
    ICBM said:
    JAYJO said:

Budget would be around £200.
    Vintage V300. [/stuck record]

Small-ish body midway between a 'parlour' and an OM, but full (25.5") scale length. It's not just a good guitar for £200, it's a good guitar.

I personally prefer the mahogany-top version (I've got one) but they do a spruce one if you want something more conventional. 
    I'm happy to be stuck in the same groove  ;)
    I have had both the spruce top and the mahogany V300, I still have the mahogany.
    It is not a big name nor likely to ever be sought after as a collectable, just an honest guitar that happens to be good and very affordable.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    edited November 2020
    Andy79 said:
    Whitecat said:
    Completely this 
    I third the motion.

It's not unreasonable to insist on a solid wood top, either, rather than laminate or "hold" material.

As for Vintage, I didn't know they made acoustics but I have one of their Telecasters and it's awesome.
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 305
    edited November 2020
    Have a look at this thread as well, https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/193879/sub-200-beginner-acoustic

I remember the Vintage guitars having very good reviews a few years back
    Cheers All. I have recommended Yamaha and vintage. Vintage are available from amazon £202. This may be the way to go as they should deliver to Jersey as Thomman may well do and they have a Yamaha. much appreciate all your time with this Thank You All.