OK-ish speakers to plug into laptop - recommendations please

What's Hot
For the son so he can listen to music on his laptop while drumming a live kit. 

What do you recommend? I'm imagining something he plugs into the USB port (unless they're wireless these days?) - but I think they'll need to be powered by more than USB power, so I guess plugged into the wall, right? 

Not too pricey please.

You know what I want.
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4979
    An old integrated hi-fi amp and a pair of loudspeakers is probably the best solution to this problem.  A stereo minijack  to phono plugs cable will get a signal from the laptop to the amp.  Drums are loud so the usual computer speakers would not be up to the job IMHO
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    I think drummer cans would be a better way to go. These offer some attenuation against the sound of the kit so you don't need the music in your ears so loud. 
    Blasting music through speakers at a volume he can hear while playing a live kit means PA speakers really, like a drum fill at a gig 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    Thanks both - the headphones idea. why didn't I think of that. I'll try that before going for the Rocker option - cheers guys

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited November 2020
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    Might do - using my old bose for the time being - cheers!
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    good shout getting him to drum, I feel that there's more demand for drummers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2111
    My brother has got some cans for playing his drums along to. 
    I think they’re Vic Firths. SiH2’s I believe. 
    They work real well. Isolation cans essentially which means you can still hear the music over the noise of the live kit in the room. 
    Decent price too. Not expensive. Probably a lot cheaper than trying to find some decent monitors (realistically PA speakers for the sort of volumes you’d need to compete with a drum kit) with enough power for playing along to. 

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    Another trick we used in the studio, Shure IEM's or similar then wear ear defenders over the top to reduce the noise of the kit. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2111
    Yeah. To be fair you can replicate it with standard in ear headphones and ear defenders. 
    Works pretty well and will cost next to nothing.