Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

1962 Guild X175, Washburn J6 - both sold

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
edited January 2021 in Guitars £
ES-125 sold and bought back again, CS Tele, Duesenberg and ES-335 sold, Peavey Rockingham sold, Guild sold, Washburn sold and Lucille withdrawn

On New Year's Eve, I said to my wife as I shimmied across the dance floor next to her, like a walrus with a pulled hamstring, 'New Year's Resolution - I'm not going to buy any guitars next year.'

She shook her head and smiled - a thin, brief smile like a Gestapo officer about to start a particularly searching interrogation.  To be honest, I was a bit miffed at her calling my willpower into question.

Anyway I've bought about thirty this year. That showed her.

So, a few have got to go, because I need to have a few less and practice a bit more. 'Row, row row your boat' loses it's appeal after a few months, and we haven't even got to the frigging stream.

So here are a number for sale. I'm not going to go daft and ramble on for hours about each one (well, see how it goes) - if any might float your boat (at least I can row the bloody thing) let me know and I'll gladly fill you in. So to speak.

1) A Guild X175 from 1962. I like Guilds. I like old Guilds. I like old Guilds with Franz pickups. I took in a trade for an ES-175, as I quite fancied it. I got it back home and underneath a set of strings that Tarzan could swing from , there were a set of frets thinner than Mrs DB1's New year's Eve smile. One of the tone controls was - I'm trying to recall the technical term here - buggered, and it needed a good clean up of the electrics. I didn't want to play it without having that done, and I certainly didn't want to sell it without having it done. So, I took it up to my usual chap, who I call 'Mr Norton'. I call him that because every time I go to pay him, he seems to add a nought on.

So, it's been refretted with medium, sympathetic-to-the-age frets, it's had a new nut, new capacitor and it plays very well indeed now. Not so much an L-5, but more of an ES-350  type of guitar, given the Franz/P90 similarities.  from jazz to blues to rockabilly - you name it, I can't play it. There's lots of lacquer checking, and a few little knocks - if you're interested, I've got loads more pics, so I can send them to you. The tuners are super smooth and a work of art, the tone and volume controls are smooth and quiet now, and it's got a hard case with it. A Peerless-branded case, which I suspect might not be original to the guitar. I'm quite clued up like that.

Difficult to price really, as there aren't too many about. I've seen one sold that which was advertised at £2300 and one that was sold, and one which was sold and advertised at £2000. It's had ever such a lot  (of good things) done to it, and I think will hit eBay (if I have to) at £2200, so I reckon £1962 to start with, only because that's when it was made and it might be about right.

2) 1959 Gibson ES-125 - I've got two or else I wouldn't be selling this one. I wanted a birth year guitar, but I was really restricted to lutes, so this seemed near enough. Why I bought two, I don't know, but I did. This one is my favourite and probably the most saleable because the other one (which I've had refretted as well) seems to have redeveloped a slight hump around the twelfth fret. Like Quasimodo on a day trip to Boulogne, it's had it's hump sanded, but it still needs a bit more attention.

This one, though - it's a beauty. All original, I think, - it has a TOM bridge, but the original rosewood one is with it. It arrived in this country from South Africa in January with it's owner who set up a business here. Sadly, not the best time to set up a business for many people, so this had to go. I've had it set up and fret dressed, and it plays and sounds like a demon. Which is a good thing.  One strange thing with it is that, obviously many years ago, someone decided to give it a lacquer overspray. It's not offensive and doesn't detract from the guitar, which I think is beautiful, but it happened. At least I think it's lacquer. I shall have to sniff it.

I'm open to selling the other one (with the chunkier neck) instead - so if anyone fancies a chunkier neck, then it's food for thought.

These seem to be going up in price - there's a couple for sale on Reverb in the UK - one is very suspicious indeed, and the other one is priced at fantasy levels. I think, following the ingenious pricing of the Guild, £1959 for the ES-125.

Call me Dave.
9reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    edited November 2020
    3) Gibson ES-335 - this was NOS from Peach just a couple of months ago and is in the extremely rare cherry red colour (joke, obvs) - it's one of the last ones made at Memphis. It's spotless of course, it's got the OHSC, paperwork, toolkit, cloth, and even a leather strap. I don't need the strap, there's plenty in the wardrobe, so you're welcome to it. It plays like an ES-335 should, but just to make sure of that, I've sent it to Mr Norton (see above) for a pro set up. I loves me 335's, so why sell it? Well, because I've got to cut down a bit, and I've already got a Lucille which is a bit special for me, as I'm a big fan of BB King. I wanted to copy the great man's style although to date, I've only got as far as the waistline. Considering it's age, condition, paperwork, etc, is £2250 OK? Tell me if I've underpriced it. Thanks for the LOL in advance.

4) CS Tele - it's from 2001, purchased recently from Coda. It's a beauty, but I'm sticking to one solid body guitar at the moment, and I bought @danishbacon ;;; 's PRS McCarty recently, and it really suits me. No dental jokes here, but it's certainly filled a cavity in my guitar collection. So,the Tele can depart DB1 Towers. I'll put the specs in a different post, because I must have bored to death already, you poor sod.  I reckon £2250 is OK, and then at least I can continue my fine record of losing loads of money on anything that I buy.

If you've ever forced yourself to read any of my interminable posts before, you'll know that I don't stick stuff in the post, anonymous death threats apart. However, as the good residents of London, Surrey, Hertfordshire, North Yorkshire, Sussex and many more will testify, I'll bring it to your door. I like driving, and it gets me out of the house, which also pleases Mrs DB1. A lot. Anyway, you know, I like to make sure you're happy with the guitar and that it gets to you in good order. It's important, that is.

I'll also happily meet up, or you can come to me, Covid stuff permitting. Meeting in public places is currently permitted and on another note I see that public conveniences are still open during this second 'lockdown'. Just saying. Car parks, dogging spots, laybys, anywhere you like. Especially the dogging spots.

Don't want to do PayPal, will do bank transfer or cash. Don't want part exes (but I'm weak). One more thing - I think (I hope) that Ive priced them fairly and at decent rated for FB members. They'll appear on eBay at a higher price, as I value this community and this resource, so I don't want to sell them to a flipper, unless you're actually THE Flipper, in which case you're my favourite dolphin ever.

I did say that I wasn't going to ramble on. That was just my little joke, of course.

Call me Dave.
    5reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Here are the specs for the Tele - I haven't a clue what most of them mean.

Model Name: ‘63 Telecaster® Relic®

Model Number: 015-1200-(Color #)

Series: Time MachineTM

Body: Select Alder

Neck: Maple, “C” Shape,

(Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)

Fingerboard: Round Laminate Rosewood, 7.25” Radius (184 mm)

No. of Frets: 21 Vintage Style Frets

Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)

Width @ Nut: 1.650” (42 mm)

Hardware: Nickel/Chrome

Machine Heads: Fender®/Gotoh® Vintage Style Machine Heads

Bridge: Original Vintage Style Tele Bridge with 3 Threaded Steel Saddles and “Ash Tray” Bridge Cover 

Pickguard: 3-Ply Mint Green

Pickups: 2 Vintage ‘63 Tele® Single-Coil Pickups,

(Custom Vintage Wiring Circuit)

Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade:

Position 1. Bridge Pickup

Position 2. Neck Pickup with Tone Control (Bright Vintage Circuit)

Position 3. Neck Pickup with No Tone Control (Dark Vintage Circuit)

Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone

Colors: (800) 3-Color Sunburst,

(802) Lake Placid Blue, Disc. 12/2008,

(806) Black,

(807)* Vintage Blonde (Ash Body), add $150.00 for Special Wood Requirements, Disc. 12/2008,

(809) Candy Apple Red, Disc. 12/2008,

(854) Dakota Red,

(872) Sonic Blue,

(Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)

Strings: D’Addario® XL110 Regular Light,

Nickel Plated Steel,

Gauges: (.010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046)

Other Features: “C” Shape Maple Neck,

“Top Hat” Switch Tip,

Round Laminate Rosewood Fretboard,

Shows natural wear and tear of years of heavy use, nicks, scratches, worn finish rusty hardware and aged plastic parts.

Source: U.S. Fender Custom Shop

Accessories: Deluxe Black Hardshell Case (Orange Interior), Strap, Cable

U.S. MSRP: $3,500.00

INTRODUCED: 1/1999

DISCONTINUED: 1/2010

COMMENTS: Uses Case P/N 0059245000,

All Original Detailing, Built From Original Tooling. Shows natural wear and tear of years of heavy use, nicks, scratches, worn finish rusty hardware and aged plastic parts.

WRENCH SIZES: N/ANOTICE: Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh man that Guild...
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • I'm too much of a coward to live with only one kidney, otherwise that ES-125  . . .
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh man that Guild...
    Indeed, that Guild is wonderful. 

• Effing hell, you have the greatest guitars in the history of greatest guitars, and your wife makes great tea plus have an awesome dog,...... I hate you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh man that Guild...
    Indeed, that Guild is wonderful. 

I have gear trades and body parts only  :#
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    What a wonderful thread! Mr Norton....brilliant!

As ever, GLWTS. I'll have one off you one day...  =)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Haz478Haz478 Frets: 64
    Great post, genuinely spat my tea out.....Mr Norton, ah, I think I must know him also. Beautiful guitars. The Guild looks awesome. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Effing hell, you have the greatest guitars in the history of greatest guitars, and your wife makes great tea plus have an awesome dog,...... I hate you. 

Wis'd for the awesome dog only. =)
    Call me Dave.
  • Sadly I could've written the same opening few paragraphs word for word. I mean, I even have the same 335....

I may steal your lines for 2021 if you don't mind  
    Of course. I shall send the wife along as well.
    Call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Trade?
    No, that won't be necessary. :)
    Call me Dave.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I insist. Unless I can price her low enough for that hustler in Bognor to turn a bit of a profit 
  • Man o man o man that Gibson is stunning 
  • eoinzyeoinzy Frets: 128
    edited July 2022
    -
    Man o man o man that Gibson is stunning 

Three hours door to door. Just saying again. :)
    Call me Dave.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    As soon as I scrolled down to the tele, I went soft.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wonderful ad again. Have a bump.