Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

1962 Guild X175, Washburn J6 - both sold

What's Hot

Comments

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    ES-125 on hold for a discerning gentleman of this parish.

I've just told my wife about this, and even she said 'are you sure you want to sell it? It's really pretty'.

'I know', I said, but I do have another 1959 ES-125'.

'You crafty git', she said. 'You never mentioned that one'.

Honestly, there's no pleasing some people.  :)
    Call me Dave.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hopefully a short thinning of the herd will appease Mrs DB1 albeit I have a feeling it may be short-lived :-) Thank you for your time and patience it was a very difficult decision between the Gibson and the Guild as they are both stunning and your insight valuable. I very much look forward to welcoming the Es to the fold. I've broken it to Mrs Bubble, penance will be required. I will ponder on the two chaps in the Kalamazoo stores handling the mahogany, one bound for humble Es the other lump for a Lester. I wonder if they ever mixed any up on a Friday afternoon after a Miller Lite, we shall never know. Thanks again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    That's a pleasure, honestly. It's a very interesting question (well,  it is for me, but I don't get out much) as to which is the 'better' guitar, and it's probably an idea if I put my brief thoughts on here.

The Guild's smoother, probably better built (different price points) and more versatile in as much that it has a cutaway and two pickups.

It's also bigger, which is a disadvantage for some and not a disadvantage for others.

The Gibson just says '50's jump blues and jazz', and the Guild will do something very similar, but a couple of chords on that and you can imagine an early '60's jazz club.  Mind you, a couple of chords from me, and you can imagine a punch up in a public convenience, but still.

That's it really - they're just slightly different. Ideally, I'd have both. Oh, I did. :)
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The thought did cross my mind for the pair I have to admit but luck can only be pushed so far...still never say never.
  • Hi Dave, easier to continue our conversation here rather than that other place..... I must have missed the 335 in amongst the others in this thread on first look! I will drop you a PM.
    Of course! =)
    Call me Dave.
  • Best. Sales. Threads. Ever.
    Best. Sales. Threads. Ever.
    Bless you my son. It's my only chance to talk a load of drivel without being shouted at.

Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1 said:
    I had a question on weights for the Tele and the 335.

Tele is 7lbs 3ounces
    335 is 14 stone, 3lbs and half an ounce. Hang on, let me get off the scales. That's better... 8lbs and half an ounce.
    I did genuinely snort-out-loud with laughter at that one...
    Yes, well, you know I'm a master of understatement, don't you? 
    Call me Dave.
    ES-125 gone to @bubblecar - a new member of the forum, but what a gent and an absolute pleasure to deal with and to chat with. 

Also great to meet @brucegill - another absolute gent, to drop off the Tele and do another unexpected deal with.

This is why I don't mind delivering guitars to the ends of the UK. 

Call me Dave.
  • @DB1 Likewise, great to meet you and a pleasure to do business with you.

I really appreciate you going to the trouble of having a pro setup on the ES, well I say Pro, you didn't even Plek it or check it's atomic density...now if only the Guild will survive until the coffers replenish.

On that note, it's only right and proper of me to warn fellow forum members away from it, an absolute shed of a thing, no mojo, doesn't play like butter, isn't like hens teeth, complete lack of character..must avoid.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A pleasure @DB1 thanks for taking the time to come down. Amazing Tele! So pleased with it. My fingers are saw as I’ve not put the thing down.

to anyone who hasn’t dealt with Dave (is there anyone who hasn’t?!), if he says it setup properly, or had work done, it’s been done and to a great standard. 

Thanks again mate. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    bubblecar said:
    @DB1 Likewise, great to meet you and a pleasure to do business with you.

I really appreciate you going to the trouble of having a pro setup on the ES, well I say Pro, you didn't even Plek it or check it's atomic density...now if only the Guild will survive until the coffers replenish.

On that note, it's only right and proper of me to warn fellow forum members away from it, an absolute shed of a thing, no mojo, doesn't play like butter, isn't like hens teeth, complete lack of character..must avoid.
    Very noble of you, I must say. In a world of self-interest, that's such a refreshing change.  =)
    Call me Dave.
    ES-335 on hold to another discerning forum member.

I'm having to console the Guild as it feels, shall we say, a little left out.
    Call me Dave.
  • Ugh... I love the Guild.

'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • @Caffeine_Vampire It's a thing of wonder, truly.
    edited November 2020
    As a note, I'd originally described the ES-335 as a 2019 as it was described as one of the last out of Memphis by the retailer. I've just checked the COA and it was actually October 2018. NOS indeed, although confirmed as 2019 spec.
    Call me Dave.
    edited November 2020
    A new addition to the for sale list....

Beret in the bin, cravat folded up and back in the drawer and desert boots in the wardrobe, never again to see the light of day. I'm not a jazzer. Never have been and never will be - too difficult for me. An A flat demolished, an Eb minor transgression and a C major incident and that's me done with jazz.

I sold my L-5 to the lovely @danishbacon recently (one of our many deals!) and to ease the path slightly, took his Washburn J-6 Wes Montgomery and the real Wes went the other way, to a far more deserving home.

Anyway, I can't keep it as I'm cutting to down to six guitars. It was going to be five, but then a Fano came in, courtesy of @brucegill, which is going to be a keeper. Until next week, obvs.

Here's what Fred's got to say about it - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/193376/traded-1980-washburn-j-6-wes-montgomery-mij#latest - far more interesting than me dribbling on about berets and demolished chords and all that cobblers. The only thing that I'd change from his description is that the guitar's not in Swansea, it's in Stafford, although he was obviously telling the truth at the time.

I've got a few pics, but they're on the original thread - I've added a couple here and have got more, but the light was rubbish and Kenny was waiting to hog the settee, so I had to be quick. I thought £500 was a good price, and I still do. I'm still happy to cart it around and deliver so that I can hear the squeals of joy when I get back in the car you open the case, rather than post it - given it's relatively low value, we might have to have a small negotiation if you live on Craggy Island and I'm wary of the Staffordshire Moorlands after dark of course (I mean, who isn't?), but I'm pretty amiable. Well, not pretty. Just amiable. Apart from PayPal. Don't offer me PayPal. Ask me anything else though, and message me if you're interested.

If you look carefully at the neck pickup, I appear to be gurning. I'm not, that's just how I look. Smooth....

Call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh lord please stop this DB1...