Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Des O'Connor

What's Hot
DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
Didn't know he was still alive to be fair.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54950051
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ahh sad. One of those almost eternally youthful people yet I remember references to him for ever ( mostly thanks to Morecambe and Wise). Big smile, a cheery song and a corny joke - nothing wrong with that.
    RIP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    His chat show in the 80s/90s brought a lot of US comedians onto British screens for the first time. He was a very good chat show host who didn't get in the way of his guests like so many nowadays. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Sad news, he was such a genuinely lovely bloke. Top notch old school entertainer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    edited November 2020
    Trying to explain to my Daughter who Des was, was hard.... so I showed her some clips from Morecambe & Wise  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Nqn2lnx9SbI
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was going to say I thought he'd died years ago, tbh. Always seemed a lovely bloke and classy entertainer. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1576
    Ah man what a shame, I used to watch his chat show with my grandparents when I was a kid! A throwback to a saner less complicated world. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    One of the best.
  • scrumhalf said:
    His chat show in the 80s/90s brought a lot of US comedians onto British screens for the first time. He was a very good chat show host who didn't get in the way of his guests like so many nowadays. 
    I remember that ( Canadian comic) Kelly Monteith was on there at least a couple of times and he was famous in the U.K. for five minutes. I went to see him live, I’m fairly sure the first live comedy I ever went to. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18696
    Famous for Eric & Ernie taking the piss, but a genuinely nice bloke and a proper old school all round entertainer. RIP.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Famous for Eric & Ernie taking the piss, but a genuinely nice bloke and a proper old school all round entertainer. RIP.

Eric ans Ernie were very good friends with Des and the jokes started as a bit of friendly banter and then took on a life of there own
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    scrumhalf said:
    I can remember him being absolutely helpless with laughter at some of his guests - Tommy Cooper coming on with boots like chickens' legs ("I've cocked up, haven't I?"), and (I think) Ken Dodd with the tale of the three-legged chicken...

RIP.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    scrumhalf said:
    Agree. He was a surprisingly effective interviewer and bought out the best in his guests. I remember being surprised and impressed at how good he was, having previously only been aware of him via Morecambe and Wise.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    He seemed like one of the good guys and a staple of the Morecambe and Wise Show, which I'm sure did wonders for him as well.

When Buddy Holly came over - I'm thinking that it must have been 1958 - he arrived before the band's equipment did and to give him something to play around on while he was waiting, he asked Des (who was the compere for the multi-act tour) to go and find him a guitar. Des went out and bought a Hofner (a Senator maybe?) from a store and gave it to him. At that time, you couldn't really get an American guitar in the UK due to import tariffs, so German clunkers were more or less all that they had in music shops.

When the tour ended, Buddy gave the Hofner to Des, who very creditably gave the guitar to Buddy's family (it might have been for the Buddy Holly Foundation) after Buddy died. A nice gesture from a nice man.

RIP
    Call me Dave.
  • All I can say is Stan and Des.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Yf5B6GbYk
    “Ken sent me.”
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited November 2020
    Dezo!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    tone1 said:
    Trying to explain to my Daughter who Des was was hard.... so I showed her some clips from Morecambe & Wise  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Nqn2lnx9SbI
    Wonderful clip there! Des was a great sport, and that brand of humour, well you just don't see it any more, little ad libs, things not quite going to script. Marvellous entertainment.
  • To be honest, I don't recall seeing him on TV since he did that show with Melanie Sykes and asumed he'd already passed away. He certainly knew what to do on-screen.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22742
    Nitefly said:
    scrumhalf said:
    I can remember him being absolutely helpless with laughter at some of his guests - Tommy Cooper coming on with boots like chickens' legs ("I've cocked up, haven't I?"), and (I think) Ken Dodd with the tale of the three-legged chicken...

RIP.

I loved that chat show, watching him crack up with laughter was the best thing about it.  His show with Melanie Sykes was good too, just because of that natural charm and chemistry.  A genuinely nice man.

He was rather like Bob Monkhouse in a way, always mocked for being a bit slick and smarmy, but really one of the good guys.  As a kid, I'd watch Morecambe and Wise mocking Des and it made me think he was a figure of fun, it wasn't until I was older that I understood he was in on the joke.

I saw him on a repeated episode of Would I Lie To You a couple of weeks ago and it did occur to me that he hadn't been on TV for a few years - today's news wasn't a total surprise, but sad nonetheless.
  • Another one of the Old School gone. Anyone remember "Pot of Gold" in the early 90's. I think members of the public had a "Pot of Gold Card" that had a unique number. Can't recall how each person's Pot of Gold card got distributed to them though.

I won fuck all, that's a fact :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Always liked Des' shows. Top guy.

RIP Des :(