Two of my fave not well known Classic albums, what’s yours

What's Hot
koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4134
edited November 2020 in Music
Bring the Family by John Hiatt 1987
jim Keltner on Drums, Ry Cooder on guitar, Nick Lowe on Bass and Hiatt on acoustic guitar and piano. All songs written by Hiatt. Think just about every critic loved it but it didn’t sell that well. My fave track is Alone in the dark, it’s so atmospheric and Keltners drums sound like cannon fire in the distance. 

Album number 2 is Souther Hillman Furay band .
JD Souther singer songwriter and credited with helping form the Eagles with his girlfriend Linda Ronstadt.
chris Hillman, singer, mandolini,guitar, bassist with Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers and Manassas and Desert Rose band. 
Richie Furay, singer songwriter guitarist with Buffalo Springfield, Poco. 
Al Perkins steel and guitar with just about everyone and lovely guy. 
Did two albums then split, my fave track is Title track of second album, Trouble In Paradise. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72235
    Lloyd Cole - Bad Vibes

I think this was Lloyd's worst-selling album, but I really don't know why - OK, it was a bit of a change in sonic direction (self-parodied later on 'I Tried To Rock') and might have been a bit of a surprise to some of his previous fans, but it's actually not that different even by his fairly subtle standards, and there are some absolutely brilliant songs on it, not least My Way To You (one of my favourite of all his catalogue), Mister Wrong, and the closer Can't Get Arrested.

The guitar sound on My Way To You alone is worth listening to the album for.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
  • ICBM said:
    Lloyd Cole - Bad Vibes

I think this was Lloyd's worst-selling album, but I really don't know why - OK, it was a bit of a change in sonic direction (self-parodied later on 'I Tried To Rock') and might have been a bit of a surprise to some of his previous fans, but it's actually not that different even by his fairly subtle standards, and there are some absolutely brilliant songs on it, not least My Way To You (one of my favourite of all his catalogue), Mister Wrong, and the closer Can't Get Arrested.

The guitar sound on My Way To You alone is worth listening to the album for.

Always thought Lloyd would be bigger, bought his first couple of albums, then he seemed to be quiet for a long time. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5141
    I saw him playing acoustic a few years back...Bloody Brilliant  <3
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    edited November 2020

And not because of Stairway, Black Dog is rifftastic, still gives me tingles !!!!!!!!

This is perfection.  Jeff Lynne finally shook off the influences of The Move and Roy Wood, came into his owb, and channelled his inner 5th Beatle to make an absolute belter !!!!!!!

EDIT: Ooops - NOT well known .... I'll get back to you !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Love that John Hiatt track, I'll have to check out the album. Thanks @koneguitarist ; :)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    This is pretty obscure today, superb singer-songwriter album with far superior versions of He's Gonna Step On You Again and Tokoloshe Man than the crappy BritPop remakes.

Hawkwind prior to all the spacey-wacey stuff (which was fine), but this is really different, hippy trippy stuff.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553
    edited November 2020

Fantasy Shift by Here and Now. 
    A wonderful, long lost album by the best live band I've ever seen. 
    No, it's not wonderfully produced and only gives a flavour of how amazing they were.
    Was lucky to see and follow them around for a while, even luckier to pick this up on vinyl when it eventually had a limited release in the late 80's. 
    If you've ever seen them live, you'll understand. 

And this,  the 3 EP's by The Beta Band. 
    Absolute genius from start to finish.

And this.
    Cassette only, wonderful, wonderful noise....

My youth, on a cheap C90.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Boz Scaggs eponymous LP. One track, Loan Me A Dime, is well known for Duane Allman's stellar guitar workout but the whole album is a joy. Made by the Muscle Shoals guys at the height of their powers...

Another Muscle Shoals band effort, Millie Jackson's Caught Up, a kinda concept. You haven't truly heard Summer The First Time until it's performed by Ms Jackson complete with wakka guitar riff by Jimmy Johnson but soup to nuts, it's a great LP.