Your experience of recording guitar to DAW options

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    edited November 2020
    guitar>Komplete Audio 6Mk II>guitar rig player (free)>DAW (reaper or cakewalk, both free) - perfectly good enough start point. You get a lot of free software with the Komplete interface too.

Interface is about 160 quid, very good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    HX Stomp with IRs for guitar recording via USB, haven't mic'd up a guitar amp since I have had it. Still can't get rid of the tube amp though; nice to have a window shaking blast when the family are out!
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Branshen said:
    Similar to @stratology and @spark240 ;

ampli firebox > DAW for me. It sounds great and is so simple to set up. Better than VSTs because there is no latency

Btw, for an example of the sounds I can get, all the guitar tones in the video below are through my firebox direct.

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Keefy said:
    Guitar > Revival Drive (amp sim) > Torpedo CAB (speaker sim) > DAW

Works for me.
    This could be interesting as I have a Revival Drive. How do you connect the Torpedo to the DAW? It looks like it requires an audio interface in the manual.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    lukedlb said:
    Keefy said:

Works for me.
    This could be interesting as I have a Revival Drive. How do you connect the Torpedo to the DAW? It looks like it requires an audio interface in the manual.
    Yes, the Torpedo CAB’s USB doesn’t function as an audio interface so I plug it into a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. I often record two tracks simultaneously, the second one also routed through a wet-only outboard spring reverb. 
    Keefy said:
    lukedlb said:
    Keefy said:

Works for me.
    Yes, the Torpedo CAB’s USB doesn’t function as an audio interface so I plug it into a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. I often record two tracks simultaneously, the second one also routed through a wet-only outboard spring reverb. 
    Thanks.
    Can anyone suggest how to use a DAW like Garageband to handle the IR side of things if I use @Keefy suggestion of The revival drive as an AMP SIM? I am a novice at the computer side of recording. As I'm after a good, but not necessarily Grade A Studio level, recording, could a DAW like Garageband be the solution? However, I do like the idea of the headphones silent playing with the Two Notes CAB. Will I be shocked by how bad it is or impressed? My core sound is a clean '72 Marshall Super Bass with a 4x12, drive provided by pushing the amp with a fuzz set at 8/9.
    Keefy said:
    This is going to help a lot. Thank you so much.

I just tried going directly into the audio interface into GarageBand using the amp sims. Pretty much as I expected. Next step: Revival Drive and IRs.
    lukedlb said:
    Keefy said:
    This is going to help a lot. Thank you so much.

I just tried going directly into the audio interface into GarageBand using the amp sims. Pretty much as I expected. Next step: Revival Drive and IRs.
    The Torpedo CAB just applies the IRs ‘outside the box’.
  • I will say that I’ve gone down this rabbit hole for years. I have gotten much better results with the Ox and Two Notes than the iso cab I had. 

I think the Ox gets the top spot so far, though Two Notes can be just as good with a little work. 

Setting up multiple mics L/R and a room sound in Torpedo is infinitely better than just a single IR. 
    Keefy said:

Works for me.
    Right, so I've installed the pulse loader with some free IRs from GuitarHack, plugged the guitar into the Revival Drive into the Presonus Firestudio Mobile into Garageband as an audio line in track with the pulse IR turned on and it still sounds pretty bad; better than before, but pretty bad nonetheless. Or am I expecting too much? Am I meant to be hearing a close approximation of my real amp on the headphones or is a tin can the best I can hope for?
    Actually, the GarageBand amp option currently sounds better. I'll continue messing with it.
    jmf1928 said:
    I will say that I’ve gone down this rabbit hole for years. I have gotten much better results with the Ox and Two Notes than the iso cab I had. 

I think the Ox gets the top spot so far, though Two Notes can be just as good with a little work. 

Setting up multiple mics L/R and a room sound in Torpedo is infinitely better than just a single IR. 
    Should I just go with a Revival Drive and a Captor instead of the Ox? Though in truth, I bought the Revival Drive so I could get my amps rocking at a lower volume (which in any case at vol.1 is LOUD). The OX could get me playing my amps at home loud but attenuated to push the drive or silently with headphones. What to do, what to do...
    Guitar rarely sounds good in headphones ime!

Here's a recording I did the other day going Strat > Spring Reverb > Revival Drive > Torpedo CAB > Focusrite Scarlett:

Walk Don't Run
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    I'm in the market for a really good capture solution , needing to keep the recording volume down ( a bit ) 

Having said that the very best recorded tones I get are with a clone Silver Jubilee combo , an SM57 and a valve condenser  room mic for some ambience 
    Keefy said:

Here's a recording I did the other day going Strat > Spring Reverb > Revival Drive > Torpedo CAB > Focusrite Scarlett:

Walk Don't Run
    Thanks for posting that. So it is possible. Can your setup provide the warmth of, say, Lenny by srv?
    lukedlb said:
    Keefy said:

Walk Don't Run
    Thanks for posting that. So it is possible. Can your setup provide the warmth of, say, Lenny by srv?
    Now there’s a challenge - gonna have to learn that!
    lukedlb said:
    Keefy said:

Walk Don't Run
    I've put off learning Lenny to another day, but in the meantime here is another quick clip using my favoured recording method.

Gretsch Duo Jet (neck p/u) > Revival Drive (attempting to mimic SRV's Vibroverb) > Torpedo CAB

I then split the signal between dry (o the left)and wet (via 6G15) to the right. On soloing the 'wet' signal it is clear it isn't 100% wet, so at some point I may go back inside the 6G15 and rig up some kind of wet/mix/dry switch.
    Keefy said:
    lukedlb said:
    Keefy said:

Walk Don't Run
    I've put off learning Lenny to another day, but in the meantime here is another quick clip using my favoured recording method.

Gretsch Duo Jet (neck p/u) > Revival Drive (attempting to mimic SRV's Vibroverb) > Torpedo CAB

I then split the signal between dry (o the left)and wet (via 6G15) to the right. On soloing the 'wet' signal it is clear it isn't 100% wet, so at some point I may go back inside the 6G15 and rig up some kind of wet/mix/dry switch.
    My girlllll..,, talking ‘bout my girl

does sound good though. 
    I often return to stax hits or Motown greats to practice my chops. Steve Cropper remains one of my favourites and only now do I appreciate his talent.