Did you compare the Harley Benton CLD-41SE to a high-end acoustic (Martin, Gibson, etc.)?

What's Hot
Hi,

If so, what did you think? I'm about to order a Gibson Hummingbird but I read many opinions saying that this HB guitar is as good as a Martin.

I'm of course rather dubious about those kinds of opinions but I'd like to know what you think if you had the opportunity to compare the HB to a high-end guitar.

Thank you!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    edited November 2020
    I havent played one personally but... it's total tosh. I have however played dozens of sub £200 guitars and dozens more sub £600 guitars and nearly nothing will come close to a quality Martin or Gibson.

Around £600-£1000 you can find great guitars though, Recording King, Guild, Eastman, Furch etc. 

Acoustics, Really, Really need to be played in person.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
    edited November 2020
    For years I’ve had a LAG T200J, a Gibson J200 copy basically. I once compared that to an actual Gibbo, and while you could clearly see the factory vs handmade quality, the Gibson was undeniably better made. But ......... the LAG was far easier to play, and to my ears sounded much livelier. I regularly consider getting something more up market but I just can’t find anything that warrants the extra money. But also, I agree with Winny. I think I was just extremely lucky.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Probably sounds 80% as good. Maybe. The extra £2000 will be for the remaining 20%
    Another 2 grand will sound a little better than the Gibson and so on. Maybe 
    It’s the Law of diminishing returns. I have a £500 J45 copy that sounds a bit like a J45 but not quite and it’s nothing to do with the logo on the peg head 
    I happen to love Martin and Gibson guitars and most  all the budget copies sound and look good and but not as good as
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    edited November 2020
    It's all subjective.... I went to PMT a couple of years ago with lower end Martin money but after trying a couple of Martins and a Taylor and a Faith, I ended up coming home with a what 'to my ears' was the sound I was looking for, even tho it was £4-500 less than I was prepared to spend. The Sound was the most important criteria for me and despite having always lusted after a Martin, when it came to it, I was underwhelmed with the tone and volume that an extra £4-500 will buy you.
    But it all depends on on what is important to you and what you really want....I would still love a Martin but suspect I would have to be spending a couple of grand for the sound I want... and that ain't happening at the moment! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I havent played one personally but... it's total tosh. I have however played dozens of sub £200 guitars and dozens more sub £600 guitars and nearly nothing will come close to a quality Martin or Gibson.

Around £600-£1000 you can find great guitars though, Recording King, Guild, Eastman, Furch etc. 

I've never heard a good sounding gibson acoustic. They always sound trapped and lifeless to me.

I would rather have a faith or a sigma

All my experience obviously 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I havent played one personally but... it's total tosh. I have however played dozens of sub £200 guitars and dozens more sub £600 guitars and nearly nothing will come close to a quality Martin or Gibson.

I've never heard a good sounding gibson acoustic. They always sound trapped and lifeless to me.

I would rather have a faith or a sigma

All my experience obviously 
    I bet my lunch money you would like the new ‘original’ (pretty embarrassing name) J45s. Refreshingly light, airy, open and generally nice

It made the Standard, next to it, sound like exactly how you describe them
  • Balrog68 said:
    It's all subjective.... I went to PMT a couple of years ago with lower end Martin money but after trying a couple of Martins and a Taylor and a Faith, I ended up coming home with a what 'to my ears' was the sound I was looking for, even tho it was £4-500 less than I was prepared to spend. The Sound was the most important criteria for me and despite having always lusted after a Martin, when it came to it, I was underwhelmed with the tone and volume that an extra £4-500 will buy you.
    But it all depends on on what is important to you and what you really want....I would still love a Martin but suspect I would have to be spending a couple of grand for the sound I want... and that ain't happening at the moment! 
    As a matter of interest what did you buy? 
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    Balrog68 said:
    As a matter of interest what did you buy? 
    https://i.imgur.com/OB5sJdb.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/uVCpwKK.jpg
    Eastcoast G1S Grand Auditorium.. Solid Spruce top laminated walnut back and sides. It has a beautiful, ringing tone. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    Balrog68 said:

Eastcoast G1S Grand Auditorium.. Solid Spruce top laminated walnut back and sides. It has a beautiful, ringing tone. 
    I tried an Eastcoast in PMT, was genuinely impressed, staggering bargain for £120.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • sratosrato Frets: 24
    I ordered and received the Harley Benton CLD41 and could compare it to a Martin HD28.  I think the HB is really good sounding in this price range, actually the best sounding guitar I tried below £700-800.

But it's not in the same league as the Martin which has more treble and bass and a better sound overall.  I ended up sending the HB back.