Led Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
I'm a little ashamed to say that having owned Led Zeppelin's 'In Through The Out Door' album for ages, I've never really given it more than cursory skim through.

Played it loud start to finish today. It's a cracker!

I hear some BritPop elements in it, years before Britpop was a thing. What a refreshing listen this has been.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• russpmrusspm Frets: 438
    John Paul Jones had a lot of input on this album. The original vinyl release had a inner sleeve that changed colour if you put a little moisture on it. Their music doesn’t age and stands the rest of time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not played mine for yonks either, I'll put it on later.  Yes, my inner sleeve is like some of the painting books I had as a nipper, just a brush and water required.

Did you know that there are (IIRC) six different outer sleeve designs labelled A to F, shown on the top of the spine.  Mine is design A.
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 438
    Not played mine for yonks either, I'll put it on later.  Yes, my inner sleeve is like some of the painting books I had as a nipper, just a brush and water required.

Did you know that there are (IIRC) six different outer sleeve designs labelled A to F, shown on the top of the spine.  Mine is design A.
    There record label must have been so pissed, the production of the sleeves etc must have cost a fortune. Other examples are Led Zep II with the spinning disc sleeve and Physical Graffiti with the sliding inner sleeve. Collecting records was pretty cool when artists did stuff like this.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22735
    Not played mine for yonks either, I'll put it on later.  Yes, my inner sleeve is like some of the painting books I had as a nipper, just a brush and water required.

I didn't remember about the different sleeve designs, just had a look and mine's D.  And it came in a brown paper bag so you couldn't tell which sleeve you had.

It was the first Led Zeppelin album I bought, on the day of release.  In retrospect it's really not one of their best, but I thought it was amazing at the time.

That was when I was first getting into heavier rock music - I bought Rainbow's Down to Earth, In Through the Out Door, Judas Priest Unleashed in the East, Whitesnake's Lovehunter and Gillan's Mr Universe, all released within a couple of months of each other.

• Jimmy Page, let loose on a B bender. Wild 
  • Philly_Q said:

I didn't remember about the different sleeve designs, just had a look and mine's D.  And it came in a brown paper bag so you couldn't tell which sleeve you had.

It was the first Led Zeppelin album I bought, on the day of release.  In retrospect it's really not one of their best, but I thought it was amazing at the time.

I'd forgotten about the brown paper bag and yes, not one of their best.

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2285
    I remember hearing this on someone's car stereo in 1980, and got it on CD quite a few years later. I still get goose bumps when the band kick in on 'In The Evening'.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Bonzo’s drumming on Fool in the rain is sublime.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    I LOVE I’m gonna crawl. That solo. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    For me Zep hit their peak in early 69 and by the time this album came around I thought I was listening to The John Paul Jones Band.
  • It's not the note they should have gone out on imo. It's the sound of Jonesy exploring the new Yamaha GX1 in the freezing cold of a Swedish winter. I think it's a pretty good record considering what they'd been through with Robert losing his son. 

I've often thought their next record would have coincided with NWOBHM - Jimmy has alluded to him and Bonzo being dissatisfied with ITTOD and discussing a more "hard driving" follow up. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

scrumhalf said:
    For me Zep hit their peak in early 69 and by the time this album came around I thought I was listening to The John Paul Jones Band.
    It's not the note they should have gone out on imo. It's the sound of Jonesy exploring the new Yamaha GX1 in the freezing cold of a Swedish winter. I think it's a pretty good record considering what they'd been through with Robert losing his son. 

I've often thought their next record would have coincided with NWOBHM - Jimmy has alluded to him and Bonzo being dissatisfied with ITTOD and discussing a more "hard driving" follow up. 
    Although strangely enough, JPJ's (much later) solo albums rock like bastards.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 851
    Jimmy Page, let loose on a B bender. Wild 

He also uses it all over the 2nd Firm album "Mean Business"..... :)
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    Hm not heard that in awhile, put it on tommorrow
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Philly_Q said:

That was when I was first getting into heavier rock music - I bought Rainbow's Down to Earth, In Through the Out Door, Judas Priest Unleashed in the East, Whitesnake's Lovehunter and Gillan's Mr Universe, all released within a couple of months of each other.

I remember going in the car to Knebworth and Eyes Of The World came on the radio. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 6988
    edited November 2020
    One of only two truly disappointing Zeppelin albums for me, I’m afraid.  

I’d read before listening to it that In Through The Out Door was driven by John Paul Jones, who I’ve always felt was the best musician in Led Zeppelin.  I’d recently listened to his excellent solo album Zooma, and was really looking forward to hearing what a Zep album sounded like with him in creative control.

Oh dear.  Parping synths lie heavily across the whole album, which is simultaneously densely produced and devoid of any real depth.  Page is... well, he’s there, and playing well, but doesn’t really seem to bring many creative ideas this time.  Almost as if he’s a session guitarist on his own record.  The whole thing feels like it’s been made out of obligation - the four of them saying “We should make an album” rather than “We want to make an album”.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Had all Zep albums. Hated that one. I vaguely recall that I liked In the evening and Hot dog a bit, but the rest was pants.

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
     I had a copy but didn't hold on to it. I think it's a curate's egg of an album. 

I think that Hot Dog is complete pants. The final track is alright but they'd already done that 'slow bluesy closer' stuff on Presence. 

There were the three tracks from the sessions that were at one point considered for a separate ep: Ozone Baby, Darlene, and Wearing and Tearing. 

Personally I'd have pulled South Bound Suarez, Hot Dog and Crawl, and put in three above. Wearing and Tearing would've been a good album opener.

I'd probably go with this as a final track listing:

Side 1. 
    Wearing and Tearing
    Ozone Baby
    Fool in the Rain
    Darlene

Side 2.
    Carouselambra
    All My Love
    In the Evening 

This totally alters the balance of the record of course. On side 1 you get the punky, synthy, new wave spiky stuff completely front loaded. But it gives the whole atmosphere the kick up the arse it needs, and sort of fulfils their remit of showing a) they could still play, b) there was still a pulse in Zep, and c)they could ride out changes in the musical landscape. I'd have to check if all those tracks are in the same key. That'd be quite funny if they were! 

Side 2 is basically your more reflective, intricate, more self-indulgent Zeppiness. Actually, In the Evening was the closing track off the seminal Remasters compilation in 1990, and it works an absolute treat as a 'cinemascope' epic album closer. 

As far as the old line from Pagey about him and Bonzo saying they wanted the ITTOD follow up to be harder, this is completely true. As a matter of fact, a lot of Pagey's good ideas ended up with the Firm and also Coverdale Page. 

@Redlester That's an interesting re-imagining, although I do think In the Evening is a fantastic opener.  But maybe it'd make a good closer too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    I think it's one of the better Zeppelin albums - although I have to say I'm not really a fan, as I can't stand Plant's oohing and screeching, which pretty much ruins everything great they did. He has got much less bad with age though, and maybe this album was the start...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom