Les Paul Jr build thread - parts / tips

What's Hot

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Think I'm sorted now for bridge and tuners.

Scratch plates are a bit mire thin on the ground, I've seen some on eBay... can anyone recommend a good source for a nice cream plate? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7022
    edited December 2020 tFB Trader
    I like the cream with the binding and pickup, although tort would also look good. 
  • More pics please. 
    That looks very nice. 
    benvall said:
    More pics please. 
    That looks very nice. 
    Not much else to see at the moment, still oiling the too and ordering parts. 

I'll update some photos as things progress. 
    Final coat of oil over the stain, and I've obviously left it too wet because went back in the morning and there is a load of dust in it.

Plan to lightly rub it back with a 1200 grit sandpaper and use a tack cloth to clean everything up. Might do a couple more light coats of oil after that and leave upside down to dry, then do another coat all over the back and neck. 

Any alternative suggestions or does this sound sensible? 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2347
    tFB Trader
    If you have to do nip and oil finish I suggest you use the finest wirewool you can buy, and use lemon oil as a lubricant.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• Yup, fine Liberton wirewool. Then a hard rub on/off and leave overnight. If you want a bit more gloss then 50% oil and 50% thinners and rub on as a two or 3 wet coats. 

Handy tips there gents, thanks. 

I've got the dust out with some wire wool and lemon oil. Back to a nice dull consistent coat. 

I'm going to go back over with a another few light coats of oil then rub back again with the Liberon 0000 wire wool

I have seen a demo with G10 rubbed after that and then a wax finish which looked a good result.

The mahogany has taken the oil nicely on the back and neck, tempting to leave a single coat on there... 

I've finished the, er, finish now starting to think about assembly. Graham has drilled two holes for the ground wire to the inserts from the pickup cavity. 

I'm assuming I can simply bare an inch of wire and poke it through so the insert or posts will clamp down onto it? 

Think I'm only going to get one go at it so want to check in doing it right. I'll run one to each post for insurance. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7022
    tFB Trader
    Fuengi said:

I'm assuming I can simply bare an inch of wire and poke it through so the insert or posts will clamp down onto it? 
    Yes but I'd use solid core wire rather than stranded.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    You can always use a multimeter to test for continuity between the ground wire and the bridge post to be absolutely sure 
    PeteC said:
    You can always use a multimeter to test for continuity between the ground wire and the bridge post to be absolutely sure 
    Good point. I hadn't thought of that. 
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    PS - You can get rolls of pretty cheap solid core florists wire in various gauges that is flexible but very strong - which you can use for the bridge earth if you dont have any solid core to hand 
    Set everything out today, the WD Music pick guard is miles out, both is shape and colour. 

I'd have to carve off about an inch to get it to fit around the pickup cover. Might go without! 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    I had to take off an angled section of this at the finger board end but otherwise it was a good fit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-Gibson-Les-Paul-Junior-1958-DC-Guitar-Pickguard-Scratch-Plate-1-Ply-Black-/224202370935?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Getting there... Might go plateless. I'm waiting on some screws for the tuners before I can string it up. 

The finish has an aged vibe which I'm very happy with. 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Looks proper cool! 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Looks awesome, I'd put on a black pickup cover and call it a day :)
    Looks awesome, I'd put on a black pickup cover and call it a day :)
    I quite like the way the cream one brings out the binding, but might grab black one too for swaps.