Duh

Shortly after the start of the initial Lockdown, I upgraded the pickups in my  VM Jazz but did virtually all my recording with my Bitsa P.

When I decided to repaint the Bitsa and reposition the Himass bridge a couple of months back I decided to record with the VM Jazz. All went well for the first couple of tracks (I'm having a go at selling production music on the likes of Pond5 etc) until I noticed talking on the bass tracks when I increased gain or tweaked compression.

The talking was from my Kindle were I was watching something on YouTube while I was recording. Initial thoughts were that the pickups I'd used for the upgrade were microphonic. The seller on eBay said they were from a Japanese-made Fender J.

After checking out other pickups for a further upgrade (Amazon USA have one set of Quarter Pounders for £100 being what I had considered) for the last few weeks, I noticed that the Art MP I've been using to DI my basses still has the microphone attached from my last vocal recording!

Duh!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    It happens.  I was once recording an acoustic guitar and, despite using closed back headphones, I could hear the click bleeding through.  I dropped the click level - still there, then I tried playing with my head tilted back as far as I could keep as far away from the mic as possible - it was no better.

I finally realised that I had a second live set of open backed headphones hanging from the mic stand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom