Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets - Sky Arts

What's Hot
Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22742
Anyone watching this (Saturday 21 Nov, 22.00 to 00.20, although it may have been on before)? 

It's good stuff.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I did see the start of it. I’m not sure I was in the right mood and gave up but it seemed to be a properly recorded gig plus documentary elements so for anyone with an interest in early Pink Floyd and British psychedelia it would be a good watch. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10399
    I saw them at The Guildhall Portsmouth a couple of years ago. Brilliant night, was great to hear all those really old tracks live 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • It is on Now TV so if anyone has Now entertainment or Sky they could watch it on demand. 
  • Is it a broadcasted version of the DVD?
  • Is it a broadcasted version of the DVD?
    Quick look says the run time on the DVD is longer, that maybe the extras. Typically the stuff on SkyArts is slightly cut down versions of DVD releases. 
  • I quite enjoyed it.  Although a teenager in the 60s I came to Pink Floyd very late, about twenty years ago.  Back in their formative years I was mainly a blues guy and thought their music was a load of self-indulgent tripe.  I still think it was, but I later realized it was all a haphazard learning route to their later genius. Having come to them late I never amassed their albums and only became familiar with the 'hits', so I'm finding this band's catalogue very interesting.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Watched the full version via Amazon Primer (a tenner) a few weeks ago. Really enjoyed it. Fab versions of many old classics and it was great to see Nick as the only drummer on stage for Floyd materiel.

• Was watching this last night. I enjoyed it and their playing was great but couldn't help but think that they were a bit too pro and playing a bit safe. The Syd era freak out bits seemed all a bit tame, almost scripted rather than improvised. Nevertheless I did enjoy it though.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22742
    Was watching this last night. I enjoyed it and their playing was great but couldn't help but think that they were a bit too pro and playing a bit safe. The Syd era freak out bits seemed all a bit tame, almost scripted rather than improvised. Nevertheless I did enjoy it though.
    Well, it is a bunch of middle-aged to elderly men.  Who are not on drugs.  They're not going to replicate 1967 even if they try their hardest.  They certainly looked like they were having a good time.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2285
    Watching this now. I’m glad they did this, thanks to @Philly_Q for sharing,
  • I caught most of it Saturday evening just after the Delicate Sound of Thunder show that was on just before. I have never really listened to any pre DSM Floyd but I might do on the back of this. I'm not sure if I would pay to see the show live, but it went down well with a few beers and the Mrs seemed to enjoy it too.
  • I have a ticket to see them in Cardiff in May 2021. Whether gigs will have restarted by then, I'm not so sure. From the Youtube clips I've seen, seems a good band. Well, it will be the closest I ever get to seeing Pink Floyd. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2285
    My favourite moment was Guy Pratt quoting the Sex Pistols’ ‘Holidays In The Sun’. Also I didn’t realise what a handy player Gary Kemp is.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22742
    I can't quite get over how much Guy Pratt looks like Rick Stein nowadays.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    I've watched about half of it so far, very good except for the keyboards, which quite often sound entirely wrong.

But they all look as though they're really enjoyoying themselves.